Carbon???

kevin34

I have read that reef tanks need carbon. How do you add carbon to your tank? Do you just use a buffer and add it to your water occasionally or do you need some kind of special carbon hookup? :notsure:

reefkprz

carbon isn't used as a supplement, carbon is used on tanks to absorb organic and other chemical compounds. in a reef system it can remove both beneficial and detrimental things. some people never run carbon, some run it 24/7 I personally run it once a month for one week before a large water change. there are a couple different ways to run it. you can use carbon granules in a HOB filter, or in a bag in a high flow area of the tank, or if you have a sump you can run it in a media beg under the drop down or before the return, about the only wrong way to run it would be to dump it into the tank and leave it.

aztec reef

it does help but imo is not needed. people usually they run carbon in their hob filters. but you only want to runt it no more than a week a month.
after that it will start leaching out and letting go of the detrius/nitrates,phosphates,back in to the tank..

chadman

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
it does help but imo is not needed. people usually they run carbon in their hob filters. but you only want to runt it no more than a week a month.
after that it will start leaching out and letting go of the detrius/nitrates,phosphates,back in to the tank..
actually my friend carbon is excellent to run all the time...i have been running it ever second of every day for a year and a half...you just can't be lazy and leave the same carbon in your filter for months on end...i change my carbon often...carbon is one of the best things to keep your tank clean....

kevin34

Originally Posted by autofreak44
what kind of filter do you have
I was planning on getting canister filters.

reefkprz

you can run a succesfull reef without it, many people do. I like it because the effort and cost in my opinion, are worth the results.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by chadman
actually my friend carbon is excellent to run all the time...i have been running it ever second of every day for a year and a half...you just can't be lazy and leave the same carbon in your filter for months on end...i change my carbon often...carbon is one of the best things to keep your tank clean....
it's nice to run carbon for extra filtration, but if you have a kick ass skimmer,lr & ls there's no need to run carbon 24/7. btw how's your nitrates? do you also run a skimmer/sump/fuge? ***)

chadman

i run have a straight display tank...no fuge or anything...just a hob filter with carbon and a pad...i do weekly/bi-weekly 10-20 percent water changes...

chadman

i actually have a very high bioload...i have a 30g tank housing 2 clowns,3damsels,1pseudochromis,a yellow tang(will be moving out soon),i also have an anemone and tons of corals....i change my carbon every few weeks...

autofreak44

kevin, as you can see its realy a matter of opinion. i choose to run carbon, but then again im not an expert. i would say yes because you realy cant go wrong, but like chadman said, keep up on the changes

reefkprz

Originally Posted by autofreak44
kevin, as you can see its realy a matter of opinion. i choose to run carbon, but then again im not an expert. i would say yes because you realy cant go wrong, but like chadman said, keep up on the changes

great advice!

aztec reef

i doubt that you can keep 0 nitrates with a hob filter and that many fish, on a 29g tank..(i'm not saying impossible) but if it woks for you that's cool.can you share the brand of that magic carbon?

chadman

hey bro just cause you can't do it don't hate on me...i have had hte same levels for as long as i can remember...