Clam ID and position?

fishieness

it would depend on the type.
you could keep most types of anenomes
and a derasa or squamosa clam. probably even crocea or maxima up top, but i have never had experience with them under anything but under a halide. i bet you you could, but i dont want to be the one to tell you that incase it is false. lol

reeferdawg

it is a bright light and i have the ability to put them up on rocks closer to the light if not . i have 2 anmones on the way. i feel confident that they will do the trick. my water is good so i dont think that will be a problem. i have had the light in for 4 days now and i already see some inprovments. i did alot of research before i bought them. i was not sure and was looking for other poeples oppinion.

fishieness

yeah i bet they would. to tell you the truth, i would trade my 150 watt halide for 8 t5s in a heartbeat and im confident it would keep my BTA, crocea, and sps. but i just didnt want to tell you it would possitivly do it because i have never done it myself. you know?

jonnywater

The sun projects three spectrums. Two of which are gone within millimeters of the water surface. Red, Yellow and Blue. THAT IS WHY THE OCEANS ARE BLUE!!!!!!. The other spectrums it is nearly impossible to replicate. The K of the bulb always has to do with the water depth. For instance 6500K is going to replicate the sun in shallower reefs while 20K halide bulbs can replicate the spectrum of 120 feet.
By the way, with the smoothness of that shell it is hard to tell. It appears to be a second grade crocea and it looks pretty bad. Then the second pic of the crocea. Who placed that? Its always good to have the outcurrent syphon downstream from the incurrent syhpon. That way it gets to eat what it doo-doos out a couple times a week. LOL

fallnhorse

I"m sticking with my zoos(bright light), mushrooms(moderate. middle), and red chile(little, on the other end of the tank). Plus the clam with the zoos. It's 18 icnhes deep and i want to only illumantion 24 inches of length intensely of the 55

bang guy

Originally Posted by jonnywater
The sun projects three spectrums. Two of which are gone within millimeters of the water surface. Red, Yellow and Blue. THAT IS WHY THE OCEANS ARE BLUE!!!!!!. The other spectrums it is nearly impossible to replicate. The K of the bulb always has to do with the water depth. For instance 6500K is going to replicate the sun in shallower reefs while 20K halide bulbs can replicate the spectrum of 120 feet.
I just wanted to mention that nothing in the above paragraph conforms to the current information available in the hobby.

jonnywater

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I just wanted to mention that nothing in the above paragraph conforms to the current information available in the hobby.
I just wanted to mention that it is why the water around the reefs is a certain color blue and why clams are use to a certain color spectrum. When most aquarium lights project more of a red NM and people use actinics to try to balance it out to more of blue NM. They hide info like that in books though. Try a book called GIANT CLAMS by someone Reed. Has lots of pretty pictures. It's a little long though, about 300 pages. It talks about all the different species, sicknesses, feeding habits, for instance did you know that clams have nearly every organ that people do? Inlcuding little hearts, awwwwwwww. All though they eat nitrates, they do not prefer them. There digestive track is set up to receive extremely small particles of food. Kind of like if a human was able to eat an atom.
buh-bye

bang guy

I thought Dan Knop wrote Giant Clams. He'll be quite unhappy to discover that someone by the name of Reed wrote it.
Well, if he said the Sun only produces 3 spectrums; Red, Yellow, and Blue then he's a bit mistaken.
If he said two of the spectrums are gon within millimeters of the surface, then he's also a bit mistaken.
There's one important organ that clams don't have, a brain.

jonnywater

I thought Dan Knop wrote Giant Clams. He'll be quite unhappy to discover that someone by the name of Reed wrote it.
Well, if he said the Sun only produces 3 spectrums; Red, Yellow, and Blue then he's a bit mistaken.
If he said two of the spectrums are gon within millimeters of the surface, then he's also a bit mistaken.
There's one important organ that clams don't have, a brain.
"I thought Dan Knop wrote Giant Clams. He'll be quite unhappy to discover that someone by the name of Reed wrote it."
I can only say this uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Then just back it up with evidence like this - Uhhhhhhhh <yawn> Knop not Knopp. I will leave it at that. Wont even get into the rest.

bang guy

It's so unfortunate that the facts bore you. I suppose it's a lot more exciting for you to just make stuff up as I've seen in almost all of your posts.

mrdc

Is this the book being referenced?
Giant Clams: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams (Hardcover)
by Daniel Knop

bang guy

Originally Posted by mrdc
Is this the book being referenced?
Giant Clams: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams (Hardcover)
by Daniel Knop
Yes. It's currently considered the most complete work for keeping Tridacna Clams.

blazehok68

It's so unfortunate that the facts bore you. I suppose it's a lot more exciting for you to just make stuff up as I've seen in almost all of your posts.

i thought i saw him lash out at someone the other day too.

fishieness

I can only say this uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Then just back it up with evidence like this - Uhhhhhhhh <yawn> Knop not Knopp. I will leave it at that. Wont even get into the rest.
calm down man. you got the entire author wrong, he added an extra "p".

fishieness

i havae a serious question. im questioning this awnser, im not saying it is necessarily wrong, just wondering why.....
now, if the ocean was blue because of the blue light from the sun, then that means that the ocean would not absorb blue light? when i dont see how it wouldnt. but that is a different story. What im asking is if the ocean reflected blue light, making it blue, then why would use a blue spectrum bulb for deep water? i thought it was jsut reflected?
that doesnt make sence to me...... if you have some reliable source that states this, id love to know what it is.

fishieness

aha. so my questioning what he said was logical then. the oceans are blue because blue light is reflected. it even says that they are not absorbed by deeper waters?
i woudl still like to knwo the source though

farslayer

There are several theories, I personally adhere to the reflection of light which has become stretched to the blue spectrum. The sky is blue due to oxygen diffusing light, mostly blue, which gives the blue hue. I would think a similar effect is at work in the ocean, but my doctorate is in computers and not physics :(

bang guy

I actually agree with jonnywater that blue light penetrates into the water a lot deeper than the other wavelengths. I was disagreeing with his statement that the other wavelengths are absorbed "within millimeters of the water surface", that's just nonsense.
Something I never see written is the possibility that ocean water is blue for multiple reasons. Most authors try to pick one reason. I don't understand why it can't appear blue for two or three different reasons - Blue light reflected from deep water + blue light reflected from the sky + organisms built to reflect blue light to make them difficult to see.