clams under VHO?

krishj39

I have a 90g tank with 660watts of VHO. Are there any clams I can have that would survive and maintain their color in my tank, if I put it right under the lights? I'm thinking I should be able to get away with a squamosa clam. Anyone have success with this or other photosynthetic clams under VHO?

aarone

I beleive clams are the best under MH. Im not an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. I wouldnt use the VHO. They wouldnt open much under vho, and they wouldnt have as much color.

spsfreak100

This is a highly debatible subject. There are many people keeping some species of clams (Usually T. Squamosa or T. Derasa) under flourecent lighting while other people urge to put clams under halides. I would personally not recommend adding a clam to go under anything but halides, as they simply do best under a higher intensity level. I would be highly interested in debating this topic with a few people, as long as it is in a friendly manner :)
Now, both T. Derasa and T. Squamosa are usually found burried in the sandbed. Only around 1/9th of the lighting reaches the bottom of the aquarium. Unless you have high intensity bulbs, such as halides, the clam may turn brown from increased zooxanthellae levels.
Off the topic of lighting: Lighting isn't the only thing which should keep the clam alive and thriving. Water quality also plays an extremely important role in clam husbandry. You should always have good water quality alone with a good calcium level (around 450ppm) and alkalinity level (I would aim for around 8-13dKH). A mature tank also helps, a lot. Unless your tank is older than 7 months old (A year would be much better), I wouldn't add a clam.
You should also aim to buy a ORA Aquacultured clam rather than a wild clam. Aquacultured do much better in captivity than wild clams do.
If you could post some more information on your tank setup, that would help quite a bit.
Take Care,
Graham

aileena

I would concur and dissent with what has been said.
First water quality, as already mentioned, is really important. Calcium levels have to be maintained otherwise the clams shell will not grow. This in turn will mean that the clam cannot grow successfully. Well established tanks are also needed, in my opinion around 6 months. I would really try keeping polyp corals and some other types of corals before keeping clams, but this is not to deter you from keeping a clam by any means, just to give you an idea of the care needed to keep the clam.
In my opinion 660watts of vho is definetly enough light to keep a squamosa clam. Very few people would argue with this I think. Maxima clams (T. Dersa I think?) are much more debated. In my personal experience I have kept a Maxima in a 29g tank with 225watts of vho lights on a icecap 430 ballast for about 6 months before taking down the tank. The clam grew about a half an inch in this time. The lfs I purchased it from even noticed the growth from the extra white shell that had grown and the way the clam opened up around it.
I think what needs to be kept in mind is the depth of the tank. I do not remember the height on my old 29g. By all means I will agree that metal halides are great and will give a clam all the light it needs to grow, but the proper amount of vho lighting in a shorter tank is more than enough to keep a clam successfully. Several individuals are keeping clams under power compacts in 15g tanks. They can do this because the tanks are shallow. The same rule should apply to vho's.
Some people say well the clam will not grow as well under the vho's than the mental halides and therefore its not being a good hobbyist when one trys to keep them under vho's. All I can say is that, in my opinion, if the vho's are not detremental to the life of the clam, meaning that it will surely die eventually from lack of light, then it is acceptable to keep them under vhos. All of this is keeping in mind that proper water conditions are just as important as proper lighting. Just because the clam will not grow as fast doesn't mean your killing it, but one may say well why not let it grow at its full potential? All I have to say is that there are many starving children who never go to school and die before they even have a fighting chance, never reaching there full potential. If one feels so strongly about life it should not just be limited to clams, sell you possessions, shave you head, join the peace corps, go to Africa and feed the children.
Clams under vho's are doable in my experience. Another thing to add is that I used a lot of phytoplankton when I kept my clam. Most people say this is essential, but I've heard a few people on this board say its a waste of money. I have always used it, so I don't know? Good luck

aileena

440 on a 55g? well then we know that may not work...
I had 3 24" vho's bulbs over the 29 on the icecap 430...thats how many watts? I cannot remember? I thought they were 75 a peice. that wouldv'e been 225...maybe they are 110 a peice? that wouldve been 330watts.
Now I have 660watts over the 60 gallon...thats about the same ratio I had on the 29 I think.
Now I want to try another clam...but i'll have a wait a few months...

bang guy

In my opinion Squamosa, Derasa, or Gigas should do fine under your lighting. They will be darker than they would be under HID but they will be just as healthy. Place them on a rock that is buried in the sandbed.

krishj39

OK! Wow, I just got back on this site and I had a lot of catch up reading to do! Thanks for all the replys!
My 90g tank has been up for around 10 months (can't believe it's been that long already). I have a DSB, and about 140lbs of LR, also a fugium and the normal wet/dry and skimmer equipment. It has had pristine water quality at all times, trates have never been over 5ppm, usually at 2.5 or 0. Only exception is occasionally I have slightly high phosphate, but no where near high enough to hurt anything, just feed the algae. It IS full of corals, all of which are doing well, mostly softies, but also some LPS and a few SPS (easy ones).
I have read about feeding clams a yeast mixture? What is that all about and, if it should be done, how would I do it? At this time I am unable to find DTs or any other live phyto at any LFS, and I'm not willing to pay 50$ a bottle online, with shipping.
ReefNut, what kind of clam is that?
Bang Guy, could you explain what you mean by setting it on a rock that is on the sandbed? You mean attach them to a rock, and push the rock under the sand? So, you wouldn't advise putting the clams on top of the rocks, right under the lights? I know that isn't where they are usually found, but can't they be kept happy up there on the rocks? Also, you say I could get away with any but Maxima, which I figured was off limits without MH. Squamosa has the most drab colors of the bunch but requires the least light. Derasa and Gigas have more color but may brown out because they need more light. In your opinion, which of those three would have the most color in my tank? Also, which, if any, of these would be most likely to not mind being placed on the rocks at the top of my tank?
If anyone knows of a great place to buy clams online (I am really hesitant to buy it online because the colors vary so much that I really want to see what I'm buying, but I don't think I have a choice) or if anyone knows of a cheap place to buy quality live phytoplankton, email me at kristopherjhoffman@hotmailNOSPAM.com (remove NOSPAM).
THANK YOU EVERYONE!

spsfreak100

Calcium levels have to be maintained otherwise the clams shell will not grow. This in turn will mean that the clam cannot grow successfully.
Okay, the clam will not grow successfully without a stable calcium level of around 400-450ppm. True. Now, you're advising to keep the calcium level up to ensure growth. Later, you say its fine to stunt the growth by keeping the clam under flourecent lighting.
if the vho's are not detremental to the life of the clam, meaning that it will surely die eventually from lack of light, then it is acceptable to keep them under vhos.
I'm sure that many clams will live under VHO's, but most likely they wouldn't be thriving. Why keep something under anything but the best? Can you tell me that?
Just because the clam will not grow as fast doesn't mean your killing it, but one may say well why not let it grow at its full potential?
You should try to aim to keep everything thriving in your tank. Stunting its growth is not natural to the clam.
All I have to say is that there are many starving children who never go to school and die before they even have a fighting chance, never reaching there full potential. If one feels so strongly about life it should not just be limited to clams, sell you possessions, shave you head, join the peace corps, go to Africa and feed the children.
What does that have to do with clams? :)
aileena,
Is it okay if we could debate this topic? I think we could each explain quite a bit of information here. I would prefer to ask you, before it ends up as a flame fest between clams :)
krishj39,
How deep is the tank, and how deep is the sandbed? Tridacna Squamosa is naturally found burried in the sand with its byssal gland anchored on to a rock.
Take Care,
Graham :)

reefnut

That's a very nice tank krishj. I beleave my clam is a Crocea. They are one of the more light demanding clams.

krishj39

Graham, the tank is 18" tall. My sand bed in front is about 5 inches, meaning the clam would be around a foot from the top.
Thanks for the compliment Reefnut.

burnnspy

The replys all sound well and good, but as Aquarist we should strive for optimum conditions for the livestock we keep. Clams should all be kept under MH because it is optimal lighting and clams need light.
We could all live like people in third world countries and we would probably live and grow, but I am pretty sure we would prefer living in America.

chris l

We could all live like people in third world countries and we would probably live and grow, but I am pretty sure we would prefer living in America. [/B]
Good point!! I think the clam in the pictures says a lot.

ff/pm

I have a clam (not sure what type but it is a very nice blue) I have a 90g with 4 110 VHO lights. The clam in app. 8-10 in under the lights. it is sitting on a piece of lr and has ancored to the rock. I have had it in my tank for about 4 months. It is open all the time when lights are on and has shown growth in the short time i have had it. Water has been as near to perfect has possible and cal. level has been between 450-500. This is just what has worked for me and i have found that what works for one might not work for another. My clam seems to be happy and growing just fine under VHO lights.

krishj39

I agree we should be responsible and do what we can to make sure our animals are thriving. That said, optimum conditions for the fish and animals in our tanks, is to not be in the tanks. I believe we can go to too far of an extreme. I can guarantee that optimum conditions for any of the animals we keep certainly means that those animals are still in the wild, not in an aquarium. To say the animals should be living in optimal conditions is to say that none of us should have aquariums.
To use the analogy of people living in different countries, EVERY tank is a third-world country compared to the homes they were taken from.

reefnut

Originally posted by FF/PM
I have a clam (not sure what type but it is a very nice blue) I have a 90g with 4 110 VHO lights. The clam in app. 8-10 in under the lights. it is sitting on a piece of lr and has ancored to the rock. I have had it in my tank for about 4 months. It is open all the time when lights are on and has shown growth in the short time i have had it. Water has been as near to perfect has possible and cal. level has been between 450-500. This is just what has worked for me and i have found that what works for one might not work for another. My clam seems to be happy and growing just fine under VHO lights.

You should find out what type of clam it is. The clam in the above picture didn't get that way in 4- months...