cleaned the back of my tanks glass

coldwaterreef

I will say i have enjoyed all of your photos keep up the good work what do u do for a living that lets u b on line Monday morning and not working. lol

krisfl

Only one word to descripe that tank. AWSOME!!!
How did you make the water fall? That is an awsome touch and the LR and coral great

ghettotang

Hey Murph,
Hey very nice tank. I have have 75 gallon tank and try to turn into simple reef tank I have 48 inch PC running right now. I also have about 55-60 pound of live rock and soon I'll add some more. My question how can I get my tank set up with water flow. Irght now I have two powerhead running is a Max-jet 1200 series because I have trouble getting the debris behind my rocks epsecially under the rock. Any suggestion on how I can get enough enough water flow and how much do I need for gph.
Thanx,
Jay

murph145

Originally Posted by coldwaterreef
I will say i have enjoyed all of your photos keep up the good work what do u do for a living that lets u b on line Monday morning and not working. lol

lol thanks i was online b4 i went to work and actually today i dont have any work at all... kinda good kinda bad lol.... i wish i was rich but i think ive spent all my money away ont his tank....
thanks everyone else for ur comments!

murph145

Originally Posted by GhettoTang
Hey Murph,
Hey very nice tank. I have have 75 gallon tank and try to turn into simple reef tank I have 48 inch PC running right now. I also have about 55-60 pound of live rock and soon I'll add some more. My question how can I get my tank set up with water flow. Irght now I have two powerhead running is a Max-jet 1200 series because I have trouble getting the debris behind my rocks epsecially under the rock. Any suggestion on how I can get enough enough water flow and how much do I need for gph.
Thanx,
Jay
Jay as far as flow goes in a reef tank i would shoot for around 20x's turnover to start with meaning take your total gallons of the tank and multiply it by 20 and thats how much flow u should have in your tank....
i have about 40x's but SPS corals need more flow if ur doing mainly a softie and LPS tank then 20 would be fine....
ive never ran the maxi jets b4 but i like the SEIO's for flow they are relatively cheap and if i were u i would get two SEIO 820's put them at each corner one pointing from midlevel up towards the front of the glass and the other pointing from midlevel towards the center back of the glass... kinda creates a whirlpool and helps keep waste suspended in the water for easier removal

reefreak

WoW Murph :scared: That tank is awesome... I love the balance of all the different colors. You have done a nice job.

murph145

Originally Posted by ReeFreak
WoW Murph :scared: That tank is awesome... I love the balance of all the different colors. You have done a nice job.

thanks alot im happy with it right now... im just sittin back and watchin things grow out

reefiness

Murph, what do you use to clean you back wall? it looks so good
and also how long do you run your lights because i have a 90 and have the same lighting as you 250watt 14k phoenix (well minus one light) so im just curious.

murph145

Originally Posted by reefiness
Murph, what do you use to clean you back wall? it looks so good
and also how long do you run your lights because i have a 90 and have the same lighting as you 250watt 14k phoenix (well minus one light) so im just curious.
i used some scrapper thing i got from the LFS that has differernt attachments i used the metal one for the back and takes it right off
i run my lights for 9 hours
thanks!

maxalmon

Murph, as usual, your an inspiration to us all
Seriously, you posted some pics a long time ago & because of the beauty of your tank I decided that I was going to learn everything I possibly can (still lots to learn!) about sps and set up a tank.
Well, I started installing the equipment on the sps tank last night, still waiting on the reactor to arrive, but I hope to start adding livestock in the next few days. Thanks!

murph145

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Murph, as usual, your an inspiration to us all
Seriously, you posted some pics a long time ago & because of the beauty of your tank I decided that I was going to learn everything I possibly can (still lots to learn!) about sps and set up a tank.
Well, I started installing the equipment on the sps tank last night, still waiting on the reactor to arrive, but I hope to start adding livestock in the next few days. Thanks!
thanks maxalmon. yeah u know i never thought i would take this hobby this far and to this extreme but it just pulled me there lol.... at first i thought i was just guna be happy with softies and lps but nope i wanted clams and sps so thats when this hobby got the best of me and my pocket book lol
i cant wait to see ur system setup i was lookin at ur thread about setting it up hope it all comes together well for u!
i run and MRC-CR2.... "My Reef Creations" it works great ... i have it running pretty fast but my sps and clams are growing failry quickly and its keeping up with the demand....
yesterday my alk was 8.6 dkh and my Ca was 420.... take s a while of tinkering to get it dialed in with the right bubble rate from the CO2 and the right drip rate from the effluent line but well worth it in the end

maxalmon

I think I'm going to lose my mind on deciding on which reactor to get, I see you have the dual tank, do you also kalk dose or have a Kalk reactor? If you go with the dual tank does it help that much with maintaining ph? My main problem is that I'm really limited with space, if I go with a calcium and a kalk reactor I'll have to reduce my sump/fuge size, no big deal as I only have huge clumps of chaeto in my fuges. I had ordered the Knop "c" but cancelled it after doing some research, then I was going to order the Geo, then the MRC,...ARGH#$@^$%# Budget is not the issue, it's all about performace and ease of use. But, I finally decided to go with 2x250 14k's on the lights,....

joncat24

your tank is beautiful as always murph...

are you going to scrape the overflow too? I was wondering how hard the overflow would be to clean. The glass is easy, it's the overflow that worries me>>>>Great pics

murph145

lol yeah pickin the equipment is half the battle!
i like the reactor i wanted it on the tank since my tanks a 180.... it helps blow off some of the CO2 but still the tanks overall Ph stays low due to how much effluent comes outta the reactor....
as of now im doin 90 bubbles per minute on the CO2 and a stream coming out of the effluent line and it holds my alk at 8.3 and Ca around 420
however my Ph drops around 7.8 in the morning and gets to around 8.1 by end of lights.... i added a large 40 oz 7-11 plastic cup in the sump where the effluent goes first and im runing an air pump with some air stones in the effluent water to help blow off some excess CO2 before the effluent enters the sump....
it rose the effluent Ph from 7.2 to 7.6 and its raised my tanks Ph up by .1 overall which i think has helped out some
i luse Kalk in my top off 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water it raises the Ph to about 11.5 while not adding to much CA.... it has seemed to help a lil too my tank uses about 2-3 gallons top off a day
if u get the MRC i think ud be happy with it