Cleaner Clam Question???

mudplayerx

I have a 6 inch detrivore sea cucumber (the larges you can have in a 55 gallon tank without it starving). Do you think adding a couple of these clams is a bad idea?

cveverly

I too jumped on the bandwagon and bought some littlenecks. I got mine at Meijers if you have one of these stores in your area. I had to buy a pack of 24 and it cost me a whopping $5.99. They were in a net bag on ice. I added them to a big bowl of saltwater and watched for any movement. When I was sure each one was alive I started adding them to my sumps and refugium.
Two of them had a broken shell so I did not use them but the rest seem to be doing well.

cveverly

Originally posted by Sato
Would it be a bad idea to add them to the maintank as I dont use a Sump?

I don't see a problem unless you have something that will eat them.

ryan115

I wasnt talking about clams from the Mississippi river, I meant any clams that may be available in the state of mississippi, i know those would be horrible from the river, even more so if they were from around New Orleans.

alyssia

Originally Posted by noninja
Interesting side note: my sally lightfoot crab got a little too curious and poked into the littleneck clam. Right now, its stuck, because the clam "clammed up" .
sorry, real bad..

:hilarious

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Dragonladylea
I know this is am old thread but would like updates please!

I have had one die and they stink beyond belief! Since it was buried, i didn't notice until I vaccumed. They are supposed to un burry when they die, this one did not and it gave a 20G a spike.
Mc

alyssia

Originally Posted by grumpygils
I have had one die and they stink beyond belief! Since it was buried, i didn't notice until I vaccumed. They are supposed to un burry when they die, this one did not and it gave a 20G a spike.
Mc

That's unusual, all of mine have surfaced and opened when they died.

So how long have these been active in your tanks?? Are you noticing a difference in the nitate levels?? Just curious if it is worth getting these?

alyssia

Originally Posted by Dragonladylea
So how long have these been active in your tanks?? Are you noticing a difference in the nitate levels?? Just curious if it is worth getting these?

I have had mine about 5 months. Honestly, no, I have not noticed a difference in my trates.

bergamer

I have had cleaner clams in my tank for about 2 years and I think it is helping. If you don't believe that they have made a difference, then you probably need to add more clams. Those little guys can only filter so much...
And all the ones that have died have always surfaced before death.

1journeyman

A year old thread, but a good one.
I've had great success adding them to my sand bed. Not sure if they are noticably lowering nitrates, but they are growing.

nick76

I have a 1(1/2) to 2 inch sand bed, do u think thats enough for a clam to live in/under? They dont burrow under rocks do they?

1knight164

Originally Posted by alyssia
:hilarious
Thanks for bringing this one back, Alyssia. Going to the store today!!! Happy New Year!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Nick76
I have a 1(1/2) to 2 inch sand bed, do u think thats enough for a clam to live in/under? They dont burrow under rocks do they?
Not sure that is enough sand or not. I've got quite a deep sand bed.
I'm sure they have the potential to burrow under rocks. If your rocks aren't firmly placed on the bottom of the tank I wouldn't put any kind of burrowers.

nick76

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Not sure that is enough sand or not. I've got quite a deep sand bed.
I'm sure they have the potential to burrow under rocks. If your rocks aren't firmly placed on the bottom of the tank I wouldn't put any kind of burrowers.
Yea thats what i figured. im not sure im rdy to dig out the sand n place the rocks on the tank bottom. Might cause a nitrate spike, dont want that.

catawaba

Could someone please name these guys? i.e. when I go to the market--what am I looking for? (Sorry, I don't eat this type of thing, so don't know much about it at the counter in the store)
THANKS

(I DO know that Chicken of the Sea is Tuna, however) :hilarious