Cleaner shrimp help?

yamaha16bw

Can Cleaner shrimp help with an Ich problem? I just noticed today that my royal gramme and yellow tang are getting ich. This is the first sign i have gottin. What do you guys suggest i do? I dont have a QT tank. Also can this hurt my corals?

yamaha16bw

well is it ok to go ahead and put the fish in one tomorrow? I mean i will have to go out and buy it but it wont be cycled is that ok? Cause dont you only do that for 48 hours?

yamaha16bw

ok thanks so much ill go out tomorrow and do that right away. I have a RG, Yellow tang, and 2 clowns. Is that to much for a 10 gallon?

bang guy

IMO you should let the fish be and hopefully they will overcome the ick on their own. Is there anything new that could be stressing your fish?
I would still get the QT set up & running several weeks before introducing your next fish.

mary

Yamaha, The fish you chose are fish that will not flourish in a ten gallon. There are such lovely small fish for small aquariums. Tangs are also out. The RG is fine if it has lots of nicks and crannies to go in and out of. They are very They are VERY territorial so it may not be happy, but at least it's small. If you set up a larger tank and problems occur after the tank has cylced, try garlic drops. It has proven successful the two times I had an ich outbreak. Putting new fish in caused mine. I do not have a seperate tank at my disposal but feel after ten years have had minor problems. SWF has the garlic. Liquid natural, not the chemical blend. It works really well. Has healed cloudy eye problems also. After two weeks of treatment, did a major water change. Oh, be careful to use an entirely non-toxic paint for your tank. Caution is needed. It may go on the outside but in time works inward.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Bang Guy
IMO you should let the fish be and hopefully they will overcome the ick on their own.

Bang, you are being a bad influence.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What type tank do you have? FO, reef?
Please take a look at the FAQ Thread.

bang guy

Originally posted by Beth
Bang, you are being a bad influence.

I only say that because in my opinion placing those fish in a brand new hospital tank will kill them faster than Ick. If there were a QT that had been set up & ready then that would be the way to go. Moving fish stresses them. Stressed fish can die of Ick.

mary

Please pay attention to Bang Guy! We all want you to be successful but don't want you to be discouraged by rushing into things and losingf beautiful fish! We all know what can happen through our own experiances.

bang guy

Well, If Beth believes that a new hospital tank can be used successfully then I am going to change my opinion to match hers.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Well, If Beth believes that a new hospital tank can be used successfully then I am going to change my opinion to match hers.

I was teasing you, Bang with my comment above. However, you can setup a "new QT" and be successful. You just have to babysit the tank and do several things to keep it from going into a cycle.
Your opinion is welcome here any time, you know I appreciate your experience immensely. And there are many advanced hobbyists who do not QT or who won't QT and treat if they get a problem in their tank. My premise is that those highly qualified hobbyists likely have larger tanks and ideal conditions,; a good environment for fish to fight off a minor disease process. Most of the hobbyists that come to the Disease Forum however, are not equipped that way.
The bottom line is, once you have introduced ich in to your display, it is there to stay until you take action to get rid of it. In a closed system, such a virulent parasite will make mincemeat to 99% of hobbyists' tanks.
If you have some specific advise on "non-QT" though, and can detail it here, I'd love to hear it and consider it.

mary

Beth, In experiencing others and myself in setting up our first tanks, our enthusiasm goes into overdrive. With all the reading and information I had, seeing a lovely fish in our LFS would put me into a deaf and dumb mode and I would have to have that fish. My errors in judgement were purchasing fish that became my pets, and they grew so large that I knew they would become stressed, and eventually with great guilt, had to take them out of their secure "homes".
For me it was failing a profoundly believedf that I would supply my fish with everything they needed. When cloudy eye and ich errupted{about a year into owning them, a RegalTang and a foxface}, treated the tank with garlic for a week, did a minor water change and that was that. But as time went on 3-4 years, the tang showed signs of stress and I had to remove him. Now, my LFS says they found it a larger tank, but did they? Had I been on this forum, perhaps I would have given it to someone who definately had a larger tank. Really, they need at least a 150 or up. I've a lot of rock taking up space and he seemed so large in my 90 gal.. Not 100.
Have witnessed a friend who started her hobby armed with all the right info., she could not stop buyiong, for a 55gal.. She so overstocked that all she has had is loss of fish and she still just can't pass up a new and beautiful species. Too many corals, too many everything. Of course she has had a few complete makeovers in her tank since. Things look to be going great for her now. Fewer of everything but really lovely fishes and critters. As is mine, except for the algea she and I have to live with and manage. We have wells, high phosphate to start out with. We only have skimmers and pumps in our tanks. Mine is appro. ten years in the running and have learned to scale down and have stopped having problems. Oh, I have a filter on the main pump in my bottom 30 gal. tank.

mary

Beth, sorry for being sooo gabby, but just had to add, QT's are probably a good idea, but I have read that ich and other diseases are always present in the water and that stress is what lowers the fishes immunity to them. I know the addition of new fish has brought on ich in the freshwater tank and the marine tank I have. The freshwater tank is more of a challenge than my marine over the years. Those things seemed to only happen when the tank was relitively new. When I hear hobbiests say their tank is "seasoned"{forgot the correct word} at 6 months, it can't be. It takes at least a year, but that is my opinion from experiance and from reading. Can't beleive all of everything we read.

mugs

I too have an ich problem. Just introduced a Blue Hippo Tang into my 125 gal reef tank 4 days ago. I noticed one white spot on him after day one, and now there are numerous others. I'm trying to catch him to do a fresh water dip, but don't want to further stress him (daunting task with all the LR and corals). I have noticed him hanging out by the two cleaner shrimp, but don't think they're doing too much to help. Everyone should follow the advice to get a QT tank. I don't have one and now I'm going thru hell, cause I don't want to lose any more fish. It's not the $ it's the animals. The LFS I got the fish from is usually pretty reliable, but this fish is probably stressed out, hence the outbreak. Any thoughts/ideas? If he brought it with him, is it likely the others will be infected?