Cleaning Glass???

meowzer

OK...I know windex is a no-no...But it is really humid here tonight and the outside of glass seems to have a film on it...What can I clean it with?

meowzer

LOL...I don't want to start a controversy either...I tried a coffee filter...they are supposed to be good on glass...I'll try newspaper, thanks

lil.guppy

I wet a paper towel with windex away from the tank.
I have never heard of windex being a no no.
Educate me please

bigal0221

Hey meowzer,
You can get one of these little squeegees from an auto parts store or any large retailer for about $5.00 and I just dip it in water, wash the glass and squeegee it off. It works great.

meowzer

HAHA...I can't educate anyone...I just remember reading it somewhere..so as many problems as I always seem to end up with I figured I'd ask first..

I would think Windex sprayed on the glass is bad (no brainer), but if you spray it on a towel away from the tank there should be no problem. I have been doing it for years

meowzer

Thanks everyone....Like I said I just remember reading something about it a while back...better safe than sorry....

indy2009

Windex=read on another forum that someone used windex on a glass tank and it absorbed through the glass!!! so they said it did, probably sprayed the windex all over the glass and it SPRAYED into the tank.

meowzer

LOL...NOW COME ON...I didn't think it would go thru the glass.....Like I said I remember something about Windex..just couldn't remember what...

indy2009

Not saying you did, cleaning glass with windex is just a myth, I clean mine with it but, I don't spray it on near the tank, I have 6 tanks and I clean all of them with windex, spray it on paper towel in kitchen and hit all my tanks.

doesnt go through the glass lol, thats impossible when u spray anything that fine fumes from the liquid ofcourse seeep out and thus landing on the water thus spikin ur ammonia thus bringin ammonia up to noticeable levels thus makin me human panic! all crap... just use simple green sheesh

dabnub

idk i have used vinager for years on the outside with no adverse effects, but you mentioned humidty and film, perhaps you could deal with as divers do. NOT suggesting that you spit on your tank or anything but there are commercial products for the same job.

posiden

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2983481
Microfiber clothes. I use them before I photograph tanks.
I second the Microfiber clothes. That is all I use on my tank. If there is a stubborn spot then a little spritz of water and wipe clean.