Clownfish drawing blood

dinki

I've got a clownfish that's about three years old. This sucker is mean. Any time stick my hand in the tank to do any kind of maintenance he is all over me. He bites me repeatedly to the point where I've got noticible marks on my hand. I've had people at work as me what happened to my hand days after.

I've resorted to using my net with my left hand to try and scare him off. It works somewhat but he always seems to get to me. Once he attacked while I was pulling my hand out and he ended up on top of the egg crate I have on top of the tank. I luckily (?) was able to get him back in the water before he flopped off the back side of the tank.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to keep him from getting to me? I know I sound like a wuss, but I really don't like being bit over and over again. Will rubber gloves help any?

meowzer

OUCH!!!! Either keep scaring it off, or try a glove.....I would find it hard to believe that they could get thru a glove

S

saxman

I refuse to keep any fish that is that ill-tempered (must be why I abhor clowns in particular). I had a A. clarkii way back in the "old days" that would bloody the back of my hand every time I worked on the tank. I eventually fed it to my P. volitans...no more bloody hands!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/380455/clownfish-drawing-blood#post_3311256
I refuse to keep any fish that is that ill-tempered (must be why I abhor clowns in particular). I had a A. clarkii way back in the "old days" that would bloody the back of my hand every time I worked on the tank. I eventually fed it to my P. volitans...no more bloody hands!
LOL...I was gonna tell the op that the next time it jumps on the egg-crate...pretend not to notice...but I felt that was mean

OR.....put it in a baggie with tank water and take it to the lfs

dinki

At times I've thought about getting rid of him, but he's a good looking fish when your hand isn't in the tank!

Can anyone offer any other suggestions (short of blowing it up that is! :))

gemmy

Wear gloves and fight back when he goes to bite to condition him not to bite. I tried that when I my damsels bit me and it worked for awhile.

dinki

Just as an update, I put on a pair of surgical gloves and the fish did come up to my hand at first and took a very small, mostly nonagressive nibble and then left me alone for the rest of the time. I stayed in the tank for about 45 minutes and no problems at all. I did end up forgetting to pull something out and tried sticking my bare hand in to get it. You guess it, she attacked me as usual. Apparently there's something threatening about my bare hand!

flower

Bang Guy, I knew they would eat us if they could...one piece at a time if need be..
dinki, a fish knows meat when they see it...it knew the glove wasn't food, it was plastic not flesh. The moment it smelled meat it came to get you.
We eat them after all, it's only fair.

flower

What is that? Is it alive or is it eating something? I know you guys are into weird critters...so what do call that?

S

saxman

The fish is a red color morph of Inimicus didactylus (sea goblin). This is a male fish displaying as a warning for us to stay away from the female (we had a pair, but unfortunately lost the female shortly after acquisition).
Ruby, I don't think I'm allowed to say where the fish came from...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/380455/clownfish-drawing-blood#post_3318173
The fish is a red color morph of Inimicus didactylus (sea goblin). This is a male fish displaying as a warning for us to stay away from the female (we had a pair, but unfortunately lost the female shortly after acquisition).
Ruby, I don't think I'm allowed to say where the fish came from...

Thats a healthy fish? That is what it is supposed to look like? I knew you guys liked the weird strange fish but I honestly tought it was in the middle of eating something the way a snake does, by opening it's whole head to be able to swallow...but your saying that is its head..