clownfish with what looks to be blood (PIC)

floods7

I have a small yellow tang, two medium size clowns and a firefish.
I noticed this tonight (pic)
Also, notice the piece missing from his tail
I have never had a violence problem with any of these fish and they have all been together for at least two months. What should I do to save him?
BTW, I just moved all of them from a 20G to a 30G.

tiffanyk

it looks like a fish fight. How long has it been since they were moved over? Could be due to the fish reclaiming their territory.

rickross23

Take out the tang. You have a 30g. That's way to small for any tang. Why would you get a fish that needs a 6' tank and is more aggressive in small tanks, especially a 30g.

floods7

My girlfriend got it for me for valentines day, she had no idea what size tank it required.
It was fine in a 20g rank since February.

S

siptang

yea but it's growing and getting territorial.. sorry to be the bad news bearer...

meowzer

agree that the tang needs to go....BUT...you need to find out who is attacking the clown.....do you have a QT or hospital tank? You really need to get the clown into a safe environment for it to heal

tiffanyk

yes i agree with everyone here about that tang. I have two yellows in a 400 and they are very territorial! I couldnt imagine putting them into a 30 they would destroy everything and eachother. Tangs need a lot of space!

rickross23

Yep Tiffany. That proves even in big tanks they still can be aggressive....imagine going in a tiny apartment for life....that's tour yellow tang...say you like to run a lot and you have little space to in the apartment...that's the yellow tang....there are many beautiful fish that can go in place of the tang in your tank setup.

sagxman

Any chance the other clown is establishing dominance in the pairing process? It may be becoming a she and showing him whose boss.

bang guy

From the picture my guess would be that the other Clownfish is indeed maturing into a female and has rejected this Clownfish as a mate. If so she will do anything she can to drive him away. Unfortunately he has nowhere to go so she will eventually kill him if that is indeed the situation.
If it were the Tang attacking I believe there would be slashes from the Tang's tail, not impact bruises. Also, the Clownfish would probably be dead by now.

floods7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/391399/clownfish-with-what-looks-to-be-blood-pic#post_3470952
From the picture my guess would be that the other Clownfish is indeed maturing into a female and has rejected this Clownfish as a mate. If so she will do anything she can to drive him away. Unfortunately he has nowhere to go so she will eventually kill him if that is indeed the situation.
If it were the Tang attacking I believe there would be slashes from the Tang's tail, not impact bruises. Also, the Clownfish would probably be dead by now.
My buddy came over yesterday and said the same thing. What do I do now? I have only one female clown fish, do I risk putting another one in the tank?

bang guy

The odds of a single female Clownfish accepting a small ungendered or male Clownfish are very far in your favor. You must get rid of stress in the tank though. A Yellow Tang confined to a 30 gallon tank is going to create stress. I'm not saying it cannot be successful, I am saying that it is probably going to create stress and lower the chances of success.