College Football 2004

liverock27

Wouldn't it be Cal that would be the cry babies about Mac? Other than the Championship game, the rest of the BCS games suck. Auburn and Utah should be playing, not Utah and Pitt (who shouldn't be in a BCS game in the first place). I hate both teams, but I am going down the road to see the Peach Bowl to see the battle for Florida(Miami v. UF). Any one of any thoughts on who is going to take over the ND job?

reefraff

I don't think calling bullshyt is crying. Cal got major screwed. Just highlights the need for a playoff. Texas/Utah is this year's answer to Oklahoma in the championship game last year. I wish there was a way Cal and Auburn could play, that could be a good game. I don't think the PAC 10is going to be very willing to re sign with the BSC no matter what USC does.

C

capschamp

as much as we want to see it a playoff system is way down the road. there is too much travel involved. you say so what, d2 teams do it and d1aa do it. how many of those teams generate the millions of dollars for there universities like ohio state, cal, oklahoma, texas, usc and the likes? when was the last time a d1aa team had 110,000 fans pack a stadium? We have tons of d1 teams that cant sell out a 50,000 seat stadium. keeping it in this type of bowl structure brings in tons and tons of cash for universities to continue funding other non-revenue sports like swimming, wrestling, golf, water polo, soccer.....the list goes on. the basketball tourneys can have a playoff cause they play multiple games a week. could you imaging the quality of the football games we would see if they played on a days rest? or the countless injuries? turn it into an 8 team playoff and you have #'s 9 and 10 whining about not being in. no matter how many teams you put in a playoff system someone is going to get left out. thats life.
OU whoops usc
Va tech takes it to war eagle with special teams
and texas hands meatchicken a texas sized butt whipping like usc did to em last year.
And OSU beats OSU in the toilet, i mean alamo bowl. GO BUCKS!

aqua39

I'm beaver born, and beaver bred, and when I die I will be beaver dead!
I would just like to say GO BEAVS (Oregon State)!

C

capschamp

i hope oregon state kicks the gold out of the domes. touchdown jesus will be doin a lot of prayin that day. praying for the woopin to stop!

liverock27

I totally agree with you Capschamp on the money issue is a big one for all the universityies and that there is no way that you could play more than one game a week, but I don't see why the plus one system, having the winner of the #1 v. #4 and the winner of #2 v. #3 play each other. About USC not resigning with the BCS, the PAC10 and Big10 never belonged to the old sysyem(Bowl alliance) because of their RoseBowl, so I an easily see your point in them not reuping with the BCS.

reefraff

Originally posted by LiveRock27
I totally agree with you Capschamp on the money issue is a big one for all the universityies and that there is no way that you could play more than one game a week, but I don't see why the plus one system, having the winner of the #1 v. #4 and the winner of #2 v. #3 play each other. About USC not resigning with the BCS, the PAC10 and Big10 never belonged to the old sysyem(Bowl alliance) because of their RoseBowl, so I an easily see your point in them not reuping with the BCS.

I think they will have to look into a playoff after this year. Cal flat got screwed, Boise State and Auburn don't get the chance to prove they are for real and I think Utahrd could actually go farther than a lot of people think,
This is too much of a popularity contest. Oklahoma is good but what did the polls base a preseason ranking of #2 on, finishing last year with two losses including a royal thumping by Kansas State who lost to Marshall?

C

capschamp

i'm not sayin teams didnt get screwed, all i'm sayin is that if we go to a plus one game, how many people will travel to both games? more people will travel to one bowl game because thats what theyve always done. less people will be willing to travel to the play-in games in hopes of being able to go to the championship game. less people traveling = less money for sponsors hosting the bowl = less money for university presidents and chancellors to look at. I could not agree more that something needs to be done, but a playoff system will not happen any time soon. teams that arent in the top 10 (unless we've got more than ten teams with 1 loss) or dont win their conference (nebraska 3 years ago, oklahoma last year) dont deserve a chance to the national championship.

ty_05_f

So your saying someone from a crappy conference and wins all of their games deserve to be in a championship instead of a team with one loss in a very tough conference.:notsure:

C

capschamp

i'm sayin that last year when oklahoma didnt win their conference and 2 years before when nebraska didnt win the big 12, is it a coincidence that they both lost in the national championship game? at least oklahoma put up a fight to lsu. nebraska rolled over and got donkey punched. now look at em. there will most likely be more deserving teams than the ones that didnt win their conference.

ty_05_f

Last years game was a bad game for OU; they played horrible but still seemed to keep up with LSU. Nebraska, they are from the north so thats their excuse.

reefraff

I could see where it might be appropriate for a one loss team, say Georgia this year to be in the big game over an undefeated team like Utah. That ain't what happened last year, Ok didn't just lose, they got stomped in the championship game. Fortunatly this year it appears the two teams playing have legitimate claims to be there.
I think there are several playoff formulas that could work. Let the top 8 teams playoff on New Years day in the four major bowls as quarter finals. The teams that would eventually meet in the championship game would have ended up playing two extra games for the year. Maybe the bowl games wouldn't have quite as much revenue but what would the simi's and final draw?

ty_05_f

Ou didn't get stomped in the championship game they lost by one touchdown, unless you were talking about the big XII championship game. I'm pretty sure that Kansas state was a better team than Florida who beat LSU last year, and probably better than the team who USC lost to. I don't remember who beat USC last year.

C

capschamp

cal by a field goal or less, i know it was a field goal that won the game.

C

capschamp

cal went 8-6 last year and were 2-3 when they beat usc. i dont know for sure but i dont think there were too many 2-3 or 8-6 teams that were ranked last year.
great news out of buckey country=troy smith suspended for bowl game, possibly career
why couldnt it have been justin zwick or lydell ross

ty_05_f

I hope OSU cowboys win. I haven't really heard much about the buckeyes this year; except for that whole the paid me to go to college thing.

C

capschamp

the cowboys odds of winning just shot through the roof when they announced smith was suspended. we assign points to our picks for the bowls i changed my points from 23 to 3. picking the buckeyes of course. i'll take the 3 point sacrifice.