comments on your Live Fish Store

fishkid2

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2536741
white paint. clean floors. keep everything REALLY clean and open. read a book on fung shui if you need to. i hate going into dark, humid, dirty fish stores. if its bright and happy, customers will be in a better mood. and when customers are in a good mood they spend ca$$$h.
I like it when its nice and dark then with the super bright tanks it's more easy on the eyes I think.

R

regina13

A thing that is nice for younger kids, is a shorter tank that is full of colorful fish that they can look at, that they might know what they are. Clownfish(Nemo) Hippo tang(Dory)
Just little things make a huge difference.
I also agree with the open layout. That is a big plus. It is always nice to walk into a clean and open layout store.
Edit: I also like white walls all around, but a dark blue on the walls with fish tanks.

fishkid2

Also maybe have guarantee on live stock would be nice. Yeh frag tank would be sweet.
How about a reef club or something?

waterlogged

A saltwater only store opened in my suburb of about 15,000 people. I was only into freshwater back then but went in there to give her business. I wanted replacement filters for my HOB emperor and she didn't have them. She stocked very little equipment and dry goods. She only stayed open about 4 months. I would have considered having freshwater also.

snakeblitz33

Waterlogged,
I am keeping a variety of dry goods that are essential to keeping and maintaining saltwater and freshwater aquaria. I am also carrying freshwater fish, plants, and invertebrates. Anything you want, I can custom order, as long as it is not illegal.
Thanks for the advice all, keep it coming!
What kind of reasonable return/death policy would you suggest? I was thinking of a money back guarantee, minus the wholesale cost to me.
What unique type of display animal would you suggest, besides the standard shark, ray, eel, etc.

fishkid2

longhorn cows if you want to risk it.
seahorses, groupers, triggers, pipe fish, anthias, hawkfish, filefish, and how about batfish. Have not seen to many batfishs at lfs before for me.
Also foxfaces

snakeblitz33

Thanks for the advice, fishkid2. I think that seahorses, groupers, triggers, pipe fish, anthias, hawkfish,foxface and filefish are all pretty standard (with the exception of a grouper) I won't sell batfish unless a customer specifically wants one.
There is already two live fish stores in my general area who have a grouper, stingray, shark and chainlink eel for display. I was thinking about something else unique.
How hard do yah think it would be to get a cuddlefish, eh? Cuddlefish are cool, but short life span in captivity...
It would be nice to have a 5,000 gallon tank with a nice amount of hard to get fish... Then again, that is a bit out of my price range, even for a business...

snakeblitz33

koi ponds are nice? Maybe have a small waterfall or something?
What else would you change at your local fish stores?

gmann1139

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2536900
What kind of reasonable return/death policy would you suggest? I was thinking of a money back guarantee, minus the wholesale cost to me.
A store near me offers you credit within 48 hours, as long as you bring in your water as well as the dead fish and it 'checks out.' Never had to use it, but I think that's fair.

flricordia

Great idea and hope I am not offending by using your format alix2.0
I visit Water World in Pensacola. Best LRS here.
Do they listen to your needs? Not only that but are very good to let you know what will work and won't and what is compatable and not. If a tank needs to mature for a certain fish, fresh or salt, they tell you up front. And will not hesitate to let you know if a coral type is difficult or easy.
Why do you go to your local fish store? I visit there for dry goods and livestock. I love the $10 frag tanks. Always plenty of everything.
what could they do different in your local store? Maybe have a once a month meeting discussing new technics and such.
how many display tanks do they have? 3 S/W and 4 F/W
Do they have anything unique? For what is found local, they get the best corals.
Would you go more often if there was some fort of aquatic entertainment? I.E. bala shark/stingray petting zoo... I am afraid if I went there more often I would be considered an employee.
Are the people secretive about what they do? Not at all. I have conversations with the owner as he maintains, cleans and pulls the occasional dead fish.
Does the staff seem knowledgeable, is it frustrating to talk to idiots? About the most knowledgable locally but doesn't seem to act as though. Always ready to hear other opinions and learn new technics.:D[/QUOTE]

snakeblitz33

thanks flricordia and alix 2.0! I orginally designed a lagoon tank to fit somewhere in the store, and the plan is still in the works.
I think that a $10 frag tank would be awesome! I haven't ever thought about that... What kind of corals do they sell? Is it all sps or cuttings of soft coral and LPS corals?
The clam garden sounds neat, however not that many people consider clams to be freakin' awesome creatures... at least I've never ran accross someone other then me who smacks down 300 dollars for a 12" derasa clam :D :D

travis89

Do they listen to your needs?
yes
Why do you go to your local fish store?
Because the store is very clean, the employees are knowledgable and always helpful
what could they do different in your local store?
not be so busy on Saturdays

how many display tanks do they have?
5 SW and 3-4 FW
Do they have anything unique?
A river that runs into a water fall outside, the best coral selection in the area, and they qt their livestock
Would you go more often if there was some fort of aquatic entertainment? I.E. bala shark/stingray petting zoo...
probably not
Are the people secretive about what they do?
not at all, if you ask they will show you their entire setup
Does the staff seem knowledgeable, is it frustrating to talk to idiots? :D
They are very knowledgable, but yes I hate talking to idiots lol.

snakeblitz33

I saw a live fish store that has an 800 gallon saltwater reef display aquarium. It was quite impressive... built in wall, tons of corals and different types of fish. However, something like that costs a ton!
I'm thinking that I want to create several types of unique displays for customers to see... Not just one main display.
Displays that I am considering:
1 lagoon
1 reef
1 saltwater fish only tank
1 freshwater planted aquarium
1 freshwater fish only aquarium
1 kreisel??
The coral holding tank that I was thinking of is a square tank. Seems more impressive then the regular long arylic holding tanks...

snakeblitz33

I don't necessarily want to give too much detail. I have a lot of concepts that I want to work on before I put anything in stone. Also, because some of the local fish stores in my area frequent this site.

npage

One little thing a LFS by me does, they write the fish's arrival date on the tanks next to name and price.
I appreciate knowing I'm not buying a fish that had just arrived and is still under shipping stress.
I don't know why more LFS don't do this. Seems like a no brainer to me.