comments on your Live Fish Store

snakeblitz33

I couldn't agree more with stdre, I find government regulations pretty stupid, but I don't want to get sued or anything. People can be so mean.
Thanks for the heads up!
Anyone else want to contribute to the conversation?

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2559346
I couldn't agree more with stdre, I find government regulations pretty stupid, but I don't want to get sued or anything. People can be so mean.
Thanks for the heads up!
Anyone else want to contribute to the conversation?
I would reconsider the idea of not having a public restroom. Think of the implications this will have. You are going to be greatly affecting anyone who travels a longer way to come and see you, anyone who brings their kids will have to shorten their visit, and you will cut down the amount of time that anyone stays in your store because everyone has to eventually use the restroom. You do not want to have some shady public restroom in the back where everytime someone has to use it, they need to get the key off of you or someone else. This will make it an inconvienence and many people will just leave as opposed to asking for the key.

stormy31

There is a pretty good lfs in my area, but the only thing I could say about them,that is annoying, is don't "hover" around the customer. Sometimes I will go in there and they hover around me and ask me what I'm looking for. Sometimes I just go to see what they have; I'm not always going to buy something. Give the customer some space! :) Good Luck!!

alix2.0

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/2561265
Yes.

they need a serious air conditioner & dehumidifier. i cant be in there for more than an hour before i feel like im going to pass out. plus the smell & grime. not pleasant at all. AAANNNDDD the manager, john, is a major jerk.
i have problems with them but they do seem to be on the up & up. plus there arent too many decent LFS around here. zsqure, have you been to Two Turtles?

zsqure

yes, I have been to Two Turtles. It seems decent and it is clean and doesn't smell. I have only been in there a couple of times. There is a place called Coral Reefs I think. On the south side of Firestone CC they are really mom and pop and get in some unique stuff.

alix2.0

ive been there i think. cool place. next to the hooka hut?
sorry snakeblitz, didnt mean to sidetrack your thread.

zsqure

You know, when I was at the aquarium of the pacific they had people volunteer their time to work there, just a thought.

snakeblitz33

The volunteer thing sounds like a good idea, although most people try to volunteer in my area to learn the tips and tricks of the trade. They will volunteer for awhile and then try and go off and start their own store. That's just the type of town that I live in.
Volunteers can be an asset though, moving clients tanks, cleaning store tanks. The only thing is that you have to keep them doing something with aquaria, not cleaning the bathroom, sweeping and mopping the floors, windexing the glass, and you definately can't trust them to look after the store while you are gone.
I find myself not trusting anyone. I have had so much tuff stolen from me from people whom I thought I trusted that I just don't let anyone borrow or use my stuff anymore.
Volunteers though do sound like a good idea. I always need help moving huge 300gallon glass aquariums... And they can get some neat stuff in return.
How do people feel about newsletters?
How do you like getting brochures in the mail? Is it a waste of time and money?
How about some advirtising discussions, help with that would be greatly appreciated.
Of course, I am going to have two signs in front of my store. I plan on doing a little radio advirtising. What do you guys listen to? I listen to mostly 80s rock.
I also want to do some newspaper adverts, but it's expensive AND I don't know how many people read the news on a regular basis.
I was thinking of the standard flyers and later on in the year when I am getting some good income to do some sort of TV adverts.
What would be the best way to reach out to YOU?
What do you think would be the best way to reach out to new prospective customers?
What got you into saltwater/freshwater aquaria?
Any help with marketing and advirtising would be greatly appreciated. I understand business and paperwork and getting customers to come back, but I have had a heck of a time trying to find new customers.
Thanks guys.

hillius31

I like the brochure/flyer idea. You could have a section in there with items on sale. The radio thing is a good idea, and so is the newspaper. I think the newspaper will get you more business though.
Justin

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2561445
The volunteer thing sounds like a good idea, although most people try to volunteer in my area to learn the tips and tricks of the trade. They will volunteer for awhile and then try and go off and start their own store. That's just the type of town that I live in.
It isn't just you. You can have volunteers if they want to, but why would they want to unless there is something in it for them? This isn't charity work.
Volunteers can be an asset though, moving clients tanks, cleaning store tanks. The only thing is that you have to keep them doing something with aquaria, not cleaning the bathroom, sweeping and mopping the floors, windexing the glass, and you definately can't trust them to look after the store while you are gone.
I wouldn't bother, personally. No one works for free.....again, this isn't charity.
I find myself not trusting anyone. I have had so much tuff stolen from me from people whom I thought I trusted that I just don't let anyone borrow or use my stuff anymore.
Volunteers though do sound like a good idea. I always need help moving huge 300gallon glass aquariums... And they can get some neat stuff in return.
Choose who you will have volunteer. Again, they are not volunteering, you will have to give them something.
That is a lovely idea. Customers that give their address will appreciate it!
I get sale flyers from a store that is over three hours away and I look at them and go when I can. They are cheap to make and are sent to your customers, not to people that may or may not even own a fish tank.
How about some advirtising discussions, help with that would be greatly appreciated.
Of course, I am going to have two signs in front of my store. I plan on doing a little radio advirtising. What do you guys listen to? I listen to mostly 80s rock.
Radio advertising reaches the most people. Who is your targeted demographic?
v>
I also want to do some newspaper adverts, but it's expensive AND I don't know how many people read the news on a regular basis.
Unless it is a HUGE add, it is a waste of money.
I was thinking of the standard flyers and later on in the year when I am getting some good income to do some sort of TV adverts.
What do you think would be the best way to reach out to new prospective customers?
Do what you can afford. If initial cost isn't so much of a concern then target the air waves with a catchy jingle.
Any help with marketing and advirtising would be greatly appreciated. I understand business and paperwork and getting customers to come back, but I have had a heck of a time trying to find new customers.
Thanks guys.
It takes time to build your reputation. As for advertising you want to reach as many people that you can. Signs are the reinforcement after people know about you. You have to have signs, but to reach the masses go for the local mass media.

T

touchthesky00

http:///forum/post/2561445
Thanks guys.
so what is the actual status of this store? do you have the location yet?

snakeblitz33

Sepulatian, As always, thankyou for the advice. Radio will probably be my best bet. Other forms of advirtising are probably in my favor as well. Yellow Pages ad is also going to be pretty good.
Flyers, brochures and things of that nature are probably also a good back up plan.
Touch the sky, (nice name by the way), The status of the store as of right now is in the etherial mass of bureaucrasy. I have all of my paperwork done, including occupational liscenses, pet resaling licenses, local, state, and federal sales taxes, DBA, Inspections for the new lease and everything. It's all in the etherial mass of being a store. I also have a pretty good financial backing, as well as qualify for a nice bank loan in the future.
As of right now, all I have to decide to do is sign the lease and get into the new location as quickly as possible.

snakeblitz33

bump!
I think I have settled on some radio and the local TV for advirtising. I'm not really sure about the TV yet.
I think I might just take all the usual avenues of advirtising.
I'm really seriously considering buying a volcano skimmer by spazz. There's a guy on -- who got tank of the month his handle is Energy. If you want to read about his skimmer story, it's amazing. He has a 2200 gallon total gallon reef tank. He had a blue carpet anemone that wasn't looking well. He had the skimmer installed the day before he went out of town. When he got back, the anemone was gone! OH NO!
All of his corals were perked up, his ORP went from 300 something to 420 (I think) His SpS corals got some crazy good coloration. He checked on his skimmer and the skimmate was so thick it was just a sludge. That skimmer pulled out that dead carpet anemone and improved the overall health of his tank in only a few days time!!!
I thought it was fascinating, go check it out if you are interested. Comment back.

fishfreak1242

http:///forum/post/2536598
Hello all,
I'm going into business soon in a few months and I am designing my store front. I know what I want to do in it, however I want to know what other people think about their live fish stores?
Do they listen to your needs?
Why do you go to your local fish store?
what could they do different in your local store?
how many display tanks do they have?
Do they have anything unique?
Would you go more often if there was some fort of aquatic entertainment? I.E. bala shark/stingray petting zoo...
Are the people secretive about what they do?
Does the staff seem knowledgeable, is it frustrating to talk to idiots? :D
I HATE ***** and Petland Discounts. I only go there on certain occasions if I need something in a emergency like a medication or silicone or something. Nobody there ever knows what they are talking about and I always have to explain to them for hours about the things that I am trying to do. They also have extremely small tanks with large fish and many of them. They usually have just one big display with a bunch of little ones. I recently found this local LFS called Jawz. It is AMAZING! They dont overstock their tanks and have 7 display ones with many healthy corals and fish. So far, I have not seen one dead or sick fish in their tanks. What makes it so amazing is that they have about a 250 gallon tank with an eel, lookdowns and some pretty big angelfish. They always know what they are talking about and their prices are that bad. Overall, Jawz:Good *****: BAD

snakeblitz33

fishfreak,
Thanks for your input! I am trying to start up a nice fish only 240 gallon tank. I want to put a variety of fish in it. Later on with additional equipment, it will become a full fledged reef tank.
P.S. Lookdowns are neat!

stdreb27

I've never seen, well heard a lfs advertise on a radio station. But I live in a large metro area, and those costs are probably pretty high. Honestly the BEST advertising in my mind, is a GAINT sign so people can see you while driving by. Then do the yellow pages and whatever reef club there is.

snakeblitz33

Radio is not that costly where I live. It's like 149.99 plus tax for one month. Bilboards I think would be a waste of money.
Any other way of advirtising? I am going to put up a nice huge lighted sign and have a neon OPEN sign in the front.
Any ideas?

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2567154
Radio is not that costly where I live. It's like 149.99 plus tax for one month. Bilboards I think would be a waste of money.
Any other way of advirtising? I am going to put up a nice huge lighted sign and have a neon OPEN sign in the front.
Any ideas?
Yeah, I ment a store sign, billboards are just rediculously too expensive. And I don't know how much "new" traffic that would drum into a store. But I can't tell you how many times I've driven by stores not realizing whre they were when I was specifically looking for a lfs. If I didn't know they were around there somewhere I would have never seen them.