Confused about yellow and blue hippo tang together in 90

jfingers088

Hi everyone im still new at this but i planned on getting a yellow and a blue hippo for my 90 in the future. Some people say you can do it most say you can't. I'm just a little confused because my cousin has a 90 gallon and he has 11 fish total in his tank and he has a yellow and a blue hippo for 8 years together and they are fully grown so why do most people say you shouldn't? (For other fish he has 3 green chromis, 2 tru perc clownfish, lawnmower blenny, blackcap basslet, flame angelfish, and mandarin dragonet)

hot883

I highly doubt that your cousin's blue hippo is larger than 12 inches. Thats what they get when they are fully grown.
90's are NOT large enough for 1 and definately not for 2 tangs. They are open water swimmers and NEED 6 feet OR MORE to swim.
People will always debate this topic because they are not hearing what they want to hear.
Most of the people that tell it is not advised or cannot be done have tried it and have lost fish.
You have to make up your own mind and justify it to yourself if they end up dying.
Can it be done, Yes; is it advised NO!

bocfuss

I don't advise it, but, most people say they "need" six feet of tank. This is what I don't understand, why is six feet the magic number? I think it is because the larger tanks are six feet, and no one but a handfull of people can even dream of anything longer. So six feet becomes the standard. If a 4 foot tank is uncomfortable for a fish, then a 6 foot probably is also. Maybe a little better for the fish, but by how much? I don't speak fish.

salt phish

put what fish you want in the tank...... a 90 is big enough....most people on this forum want to bash hobbiest rather than give encouragment.....

hot883

Originally Posted by salt phish
put what fish you want in the tank...... a 90 is big enough....most people on this forum want to bash hobbiest rather than give encouragment.....
Why would you make such a statement? That is about as irresponsible as one can get. There was NO BASHING! Trying to prevent a costly mistake???

sepulatian

Originally Posted by hot883
Why would you make such a statement? That is about as illresponsible as one can get. There was NO BASHING! Trying to prevent a costly mistake???
Exactly
It would irresponsible of us to say it is ok to put 2 tangs in a 90. As hot883 said, they are open water swimmers. They will get stressed out in too small of a system. Come over to the Disease and Treatment forum and do a search for tangs. You will see how often these fish become ill in excellent water quality just because they are continuously stressed out.

alyssia

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Exactly
It would irresponsible of us to say it is ok to put 2 tangs in a 90. As hot883 said, they are open water swimmers. They will get stressed out in too small of a system. Come over to the Disease and Treatment forum and do a search for tangs. You will see how often these fish become ill in excellent water quality just because they are continuously stressed out.

Nicely put

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Exactly
Couldn't have said it any better myself!

A

agb1

I have a yellow and a hippo together...but they are in a 150. If you plan on getting a bigger tank I think you would have no problem putting the two of them together. Mine get along just fine. I would defently take the advice of hot883, as much as you may not want to hear it...it is the best in the long run.

hot883

Originally Posted by jfingers088
Well is it ok then if i just get a yellow tang?
Generally the answer is no.
People always say "I will only keep it in there until it gets to big or I will upgrade". Well that usually never happens and the fish dies. Thats what we are trying to prevent.
An experienced aquarist can most of the time get away with it because they know the signs to look for.
I do not know your experience level and honestly it doesn't matter. If you have to ask, then you are not ready.
I say that in a kind way not hateful. Remember, we are just trying to help regardless if it makes you mad or not. Barry

i rule

This is balogna, a yellow Tang could be acclimated to a 50 gallon with no trouble. I personally bought my yellow tang from pet cetera where they allegedly kept it in the 25 gallon tank I bought it from for almost a year. It was thin from underfeeding, but had no diseases. The "all tangs need 6' rule" is for rich pricks that can afford to go blow $2000 on a tank a couple of times a week, just so they can look down on others for keeping tangs in perfectly adequate 4' - 5' tanks.
I just posted a question on Tangs for my 90 gallon, but now I regret it because I know the answers I'm going to get, even though the host site (saltwaterfish.com) tells me otherwise.

cyclops

Well good for you. I think a lot of this is just rule of thumb. I am considring in getting at least 15 fish for a 135G

i rule

New technology allows us to stock salt water fish to levels equalling that of freshies, but some people still don't stock highly. Sometimes it seems only to look down on people that do stock highly. :notsure:

tanglove

I know a lot of people are saying NO. I talk a lot with my LFS which has hired a guy that has done saltwater for who knows how long. I mean he is pretty old and he has done it forever. He has several different tanks of his own at home and he has a yellow tang in a 65 gallon that has been in there for 8 years. And this fish is crazy over this guy, really is. So I think if you want to do it then just get ready for the "wouldnts, shouldnt, IMO, and everything else". You just have to remember when using a site such as this, your going to hear it.

thud

Originally Posted by jfingers088
Hi everyone im still new at this but i planned on getting a yellow and a blue hippo for my 90 in the future. Some people say you can do it most say you can't. I'm just a little confused because my cousin has a 90 gallon and he has 11 fish total in his tank and he has a yellow and a blue hippo for 8 years together and they are fully grown so why do most people say you shouldn't? (For other fish he has 3 green chromis, 2 tru perc clownfish, lawnmower blenny, blackcap basslet, flame angelfish, and mandarin dragonet)

Whatttt? I have sevaral tangs together and they are fine, they weren't at first but they got over it.

hot883

Originally Posted by TangLove
I know a lot of people are saying NO. I talk a lot with my LFS which has hired a guy that has done saltwater for who knows how long. I mean he is pretty old and he has done it forever. He has several different tanks of his own at home and he has a yellow tang in a 65 gallon that has been in there for 8 years. And this fish is crazy over this guy, really is. So I think if you want to do it then just get ready for the "wouldnts, shouldnt, IMO, and everything else". You just have to remember when using a site such as this, your going to hear it.
You also look at experience level too. A new hobbiest is NOT going to see the signs early enough; your old friend may. To tell a new hobbiest or a hobbiest period that it is ok is not being very responsible.( not saying that you are tanglove) Just trying to make a point.

puffer32

I don't get some of you, why ask a question if you are not going to listen to the advice given you??? You must not have been to sure it would work or you would have just gone ahead and put all the tangs you want in your tank. You are just angry cause the experienced people told you what you didn't want to hear. Please don't come here when your tangs get sick and ask for advice, why bother, you already know everything right?

Most of us are here to help others, we have more experience then alot of you, so think long and hard before you do something foolish, you will only regret it later.