Considering getting a cat

entice59

i might get a pet cat but im scared of it climbing on top of my fish tank and try to kill my fish

T

thomas712

Got a hood over the tank?
Dispite what anti cat people say they are smart and can be taught.
Just get some water bottles and squirt them if they get on the tank.
Thomas

oceana

i prefer to use a super soaker!! :D
i dont think you will have a problem. with the hood and lights things up there wont be very inviting to a cat I dont think

spe934

Although my 2 cats enjoy "playing" with my fish (especially my 2 clown fish), neither one has ever tried to jump on top of my canopy. They just like to stand at the base and try to bat as the fish swim by, almost teasingly.. It is actually pretty amusing to watch and they don't seem to scare the fish. I do have to keep the cabinet closed or they try to drink the water in my sump!

Cute POst..
My cat's "condo" is right next to the tank, she actually LOVES to sit & watch the fish and she occasionally swats at them BUT she doesn't try to eat them or try to get on top of it..
As everyone says here, with lights and covers and stuff.. YOu'll be fine... USe the spray bottle technique..
Maybe you should get a condo and place it next to the tank and watch the cat "eye" the fish... it's hysterical AND you wont have to go buy cat toys... Cuz your cat will have the BEST cat toy in the world....
Good luck, If you get the cat, catch some pics of your cat watching the fish.. :yes:
Maybe that should be a thread "PICS of your cat, playing with or watching your tank!! LOL I wish I had some on my computer...
Kim

fedowner

Our Neo Mastiff likes to watch and bark at the flounder when it's on the side of the tanks. She also gets jealous if I am doing something with the tank and barks at me.

lowend

i have two cats, and neither of them seem to pay much attention to my tank unless i am. My older cat, she is about three, absolutly hates when i pay attention to the tank and not her. she always rubs up against me when i am observing my fish, corals and inverts.
My younger cat, about two, likes to sleep on top of my canopy while i am at work. Lately everytime when i walk in the door i can hear her jumping down from on top of the tank.
When they were both younger, they seemed to like to try to catch fish from my freshwater tank, but since i had them declawed, they have left it alone. both like to jump up to try and catch all my fish, but that is about the extent of it nowadays.

squidd

You could always remove the grounding probe and disconnect the GFCI ...
Then let the "stray voltage" discourage the kitty from climbing....
:hilarious

buzz

I have 3 cats. Other than sitting and watching, and occasionally swatting the glass, they are no problem at all...

bdubbya

I have kind of a funny story about my cat. He always liked to sleep on top of my canopy. One day my A/C wasn't working, so I opened the top to help dissipate the heat and sure enough he tried to jump on the top and fell right in the tank. After I quit panicking and got a water change done, I had to stop and laugh. After that he still liked to nap on my canopy, he was just a bit more cautious about it.

blazehok68

yeah my cat never even looks at my tank. when i am sitting in my popazat chair in front of it is the only time that she aknowledges the tank and even then she doesnt look at the tank cause she is sitting on my lap sleeping!!

searcher

Once in a while my cat does scratch the acrilyc a little bit. But it's easy to buff the scratches out. The nose prints and paw prints are more annoying.

debbie

Hi, the only thing to watch for is your heater. My cat oneday decided that he would get ontop of the hood and in the process hit the heater dial and turned it right up. When I came home that same day thank god I had fish just a cooking....

So if you don't have a cover for the heater dial tape it in place just to make sure.
Good luck with your new furry friend...:joy:

SQUIDD... LOLOL
I knew someone was gonna say something like that.. LOL Geesh
I found that my cat NEVER takes her nails out to paw at the tank, its more like a friendly tap or swat at the fish, they want to play.. NOT attack... HAHA
And Yes, the nose prints are more annoying than anything..
Kim

ctgretzky9

cute post....
I have one 2 yr old cat, never really does anything witht he fish tank except to lie on the couch armrest next to it, watch them and fall asleep. Kinda like me in about 30 yrs, so I guess im looking at myself when im old in a way.

LOL... Here is my cat in her FAV spot next to her tank, right now shes NOT paying attention because she just was spayed and had a nose job.. Shes a little doped up.
But, you can see where her SPOT IS AT!
Kim

squidd

Originally posted by KimKissyFish
... right now shes NOT paying attention because she just was spayed and had a nose job...
... Shes a little doped up...

Great....:rolleyes:
A Cat with a Habit....:nope:

new2us

Okay, gotta' ask - - - was the nose job successful?? As if the spaying part weren't bad enough!!!
Entice, I really think that the cat will actually add to your enjoyment of this hobby. We have a barstool next to our tank and every morning when we get up she runs in real fast and jumps up onto it to check out "her" fish. Looks almost like she's counting to make sure they are all there. Made us nervous at first because she would swat at the glass, but she never bothers anything and the pseudochromis actually seems to like it when she is in front of the tank. Of course, there are always exceptions, but the posts so far seem to support the consensus of going for it. Good luck!

kahnsell

I've wanted to get a cat for a long time, but my fear is that it may get into my cabinetry b/c the chiller gives off heat when it is on. I took the top off of my chiller to allow more air circulation. Unfortunately, that means that the fan is exposed inside it's box...
I could close the doors to the cabinet, but then I fear that it may get too hot in the cabinet and cause too much heat build-up and eventually, chiller failure.
Am I just being too cautious? I can imagine the mess I may find if my theory is right...