coral reefs take millions of years to grow

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Kablamo
I never said a word about the OT, the cannon of the OT was closed in 100 AD at the senate of Jamnia.
Actually you did.. here's your quote:
By the 300's the catholic church was already somewhat corrupt and had begun persecuting non christians in rome and the pagan countryside around it, and it was these same people who compiled the books of the old testament.

That was a little derogitory don't you think?
No, not at all...
Never said he wasn't merciful in the OT, never said he wasn't almighty in the NT.
You said this:

Think of it, think of all the discriptions of God in the old and in the new testament.
In the old testament God was a powerful avatar who constantly crushed those who stood against his will. The old testament god was not an all loving father who just wants your love....
If I took you out of context I apologize, but you were saying that the God of the Jews and Christians was different. Seemed to me like you were using the Merciful vs. Almighty argument.

I'm just saying he is a totaly different cat now than he was in the OT.
In the OT, he was a constant force on the earth, talked DIRECTLY to MANY MANY different people,
As did Jesus in the NT..

stood in all of the hebrews battles, unless of course they screwed god over, then god took his protection away and they got crushed..
Now THAT'S what I would call derogatory..

1journeyman

The fact is, I DO have kids, and I treat them much better than the Jehovah treated his "children".
That's not possible... God sent His perfect Son to die for His "children". You can't do that.. you can't make a payment that perfect. You can't make a sacrifice that great.

One point I want you guys to stop talking about right now is my misunderstanding of christianity and how I should give it a try... and I was a christian for about 15 of those years. My unbelief didn't come from the burden of staying sinless and clean, nor did it come from rationalisation of my hedonism, nor did it come about from watching the evil acts of supposed "christians."
If you ever believed being a Christian was a "burden" then you totally missed the gift of grace that God offers allowing us to be Christians. Now, don't misunderstand me, that's not a judgmental statement, but rather a statement meaning to clarify definitions.
Kablamo, I can't argue with your personal experience. I don't understand, however, how one night of an experience like you described can replace 15 years of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ you said you had.