Crabs not the answer to Bubble Algae

one lunger

Well, I tried them again- Mithrax Crabs as a clean up solution to my bubble algae problem, which had gotten out of hand. So what did I lose this time to the voracious appetites of the crabs? My beautiful Green Pocillopora Damicornis Coral got a rather severe "haircut," sacrificing many months of new growth. My last go-around with these incorrectly advertised crabs cost me a big chunk of my prized Leather Coral. My setup is a 29 gallon reef that I feed about 3 times a week, so excess food being left available to the Mithrax thus preventing them from consuming the algae is not the issue; my phosphates are zero, in spite of that I am using a phosphate sponge and the algae is receding. If you like the way the Mithrax look, fine- but in my experience they are not reef-safe and do not eat any perceptible amount of algae.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by one lunger http:///t/392566/crabs-not-the-answer-to-bubble-algae#post_3486714
Well, I tried them again- Mithrax Crabs as a clean up solution to my bubble algae problem, which had gotten out of hand. So what did I lose this time to the voracious appetites of the crabs? My beautiful Green Pocillopora Damicornis Coral got a rather severe "haircut," sacrificing many months of new growth. My last go-around with these incorrectly advertised crabs cost me a big chunk of my prized Leather Coral. My setup is a 29 gallon reef that I feed about 3 times a week, so excess food being left available to the Mithrax thus preventing them from consuming the algae is not the issue; my phosphates are zero, in spite of that I am using a phosphate sponge and the algae is receding. If you like the way the Mithrax look, fine- but in my experience they are not reef-safe and do not eat any perceptible amount of algae.
Got a picture of these Mithrax Crabs? Do they have a red dot on the inside of their claw arms?

meowzer

I have never had an Emerald eat any of my corals, and I have them in all my tanks.....
I will say tho, that if your tank is well-fed they will go for the food rather then the bubble algae.....and in my experience, they only go after the smaller bubbles.
I had no clue algae fix worked on BA....hmmmm.....I have BA in my 28G cube, but don't bother with it anymore....

geoj

Any noteworthy "side effects?"

Not much from my experience. Some corals react by retracting, other then that its slow to work.
Google this and read the thread. " What I have seen is it looks like the AF does not kill the adult bubble algae once it is anchored to the rock. "