Critical elements that corals require?

lubeck

Besides the basics folks what will a fully stocked coral reef require as far as elements go besides - mag, cal, alk, sg, temp? If so, how does the element assist the coral and do you suppliment/dose for it?

jerth6932

Define fully stocked? SPS, LPS, Softies..... Mixture? All require a little bit of diffrent trace elements.... and such....

bang guy

There are several minor trace elements such as Strontium and Molybdenum but these are typically supplied in sufficient quantities in your salt mix.
One important distinction for Alkalinity, it's Carbonate Alkalinity that corals require. Borate Alkalinity can help keep PH stable but corals cannot use it to build skeleton.

lubeck

There are several minor trace elements such as Strontium and Molybdenum but these are typically supplied in sufficient quantities in your salt mix.
One important distinction for Alkalinity, it's Carbonate Alkalinity that corals require.  Borate Alkalinity can help keep PH stable but corals cannot use it to build skeleton.
How do these trace elements benifit sps corals and in what way? I also thought I read that corals covert borate into a "usable" alk? Did you ever hear that?
Also what about potassium or iron? I know that corals need it hit for what? How does it benifit the coral? Growth? Color?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/392188/critical-elements-that-corals-require#post_3481213
How do these trace elements benifit sps corals and in what way? I also thought I read that corals covert borate into a "usable" alk? Did you ever hear that?
Also what about potassium or iron? I know that corals need it hit for what? How does it benifit the coral? Growth? Color?
Borate cannot be converted to Carbonate without nuclear fusion.
All of these minor trace elements are needed for the typical biologic enzymes and circulatory functions that all animals require. While Potassium and Iron are required elements they are most likely to be acquired through food.

geoj

What about just incorporation into tissues, not necessarily having any benefit to the animal but having an effect like changing coloration or providing a durability like light tolerance that we don't notice because of long held practices such as light acclamation.

lubeck

What about just incorporation into tissues, not necessarily having any benefit to the animal but having an effect like changing coloration or providing a durability like light tolerance that we don't notice because of long held practices such as light acclamation.
Exactly. Anyone have any good reads or studies on this?

lubeck

Good read. Not sure it it gets into the trace elements enough but interesting about the increase of alk to 12-15. Any more good articles

geoj

Not to much, but what I got from it was the confirmation that high nitrate and phosphate can brown some corals.

kiefers

I read and reread this thread and I have come up with only there is to many questions in regards to essential elements. However, the only question not asked was what are the elements we as aquarists need to focus on. The answer to this question is best answered with a question. What type of tank do you have or desire? A FOWLR tank does not require the "dosing" of elements. The elements would be supplied through feeding, as pointed out earlier.
A reef tank, also pending on what type of reef is desired, sps, lps, softies, is also important because these organisms require different doses and or elements needed to sustain their biological needs. The stoney corals dominated reefes may have the tendency towards a trace element deficiencies as they store a variety of elements in their skelotons such as copper (needed for the symbiotic realationship with algea which requires photosynthesis), uranium, and zinc. No -one knows why or what is the biological function of such elements.
Heck, I'm half baked so I have no idea where to go with this. Lol
Specific questions please. Lol
Happy 4th

lubeck

Elements specific to an sps tank. Remember not the basic elements like the ones most ppl dose for already, myself included.

kiefers

They only elements I see all over the place is mg, ca, alk, and strontium within sps tanks. Lighting of coarse being the big factor
NSW contain 74 plus other elements that ASW does not contain.
I believe this chemistry topic is better suited for Henry and Joe IMO.
But if your looking for how the specimens use these elements as a biological factor, I would assume the same way our bodies use everything up as fuel, energy, immune defences, and cell production.
Unfortunately, research to aquaria is lacking. Most studies of of these elements as it relates to growth and toxicity are directed toward organisms in natural settings like the ocean, and not our reef systems. Unfortunately for reefkeepers, the conditions in reef tanks may be sufficiently different than in the ocean as a majority of hobbyists synthetic salt mixes. In a situation such as this, I think it best if hobbyists understand the scientific basis for these various elements, and with observation, can then use the information to make up their own minds as to its importance.