Critique my tank-sump design…

2quills

Looks nice...is the bigger section going to be a fuge and the small section in the back corner where the teeth are going to be a skimmer chamber?

geoj

The front will be the DT it is 24x16x22 about 36.5 gals
The back with the teeth will be the skimmer chamber
The other the return
My goal is to get all the benefits of a sump yet still have room under the stand for supplies and keep the tank compact in overall size.

2quills

I like the idea. The only thing that I could think of that might be a small concern is how effective your skimmer section is going to be. From what I can tell, when the water flows over the overflow it's only going to have about a 3/4" fall before it runs over into the bubble trap. I'm just wondering if alot of the water is going to end up bypassing the skimmer and going strait to the trap. Your skimmer may end up just recirculating alot of the same water over and over. May not be as efficient as you'd like. I could be wrong though, I guess it may just depend on how you plan on setting up your skimmer.

geoj

So you would want more mixing in the skimmer section?
I will be using a Tunze 9010 skimmer. It has an internal pump, so do you think that there will be good mixing of the overflow water or no…
I was also thinking of using a Mag5 pump to recalculate.

btldreef

Your first idea looks fine... Interested to see what the regulars say once they're back on in the morning.

acrylic51

Honestly I like both designs....I'm actually a bit tired, but the only real difference I see between the 2 designs is an extra baffle? Might be missing something else, but the important thing is the spacing between the baffles, to eliminate the bubbles making it to the return pump section. What is the actually foot print of the skimmer? I would opt to leave yourself a little room to run some type of reactor, since your trying to compact everything around the tank instead of underneath. There are other ways around it though.
I'm just wondering if alot of the water is going to end up bypassing the skimmer and going strait to the trap.

The skimmer isn't suppose to process all the water at 1 time anyways, so that is no big deal. If you look at any tank setup there is NO WAY the skimmer is processing all the water entering the skimmer compartment.....So shouldn't affect efficiency IMO.
From what I can tell, when the water flows over the overflow it's only going to have about a 3/4" fall before it runs over into the bubble trap.

Shouldn't be an issue.....The greater you increase the water fall or drop IMO, you'll increase noise, water splashing; which will lead to salt creep, and it also increases changes of bubbles being more prevalent, and possibly affecting skimmer performance, and possibly leading to the bubbles being transferred to the return section....Again JMHO.....
I was also thinking of using a Mag5 pump to recalculate.

Honestly I think that would be way overkill.....you might want to look at something 3-5 tank volume turnover???? You have to remember you won't have alot of head loss due to everything being mounted right there in the tank, per say. So you will be pushing the overflow and such pretty good, increasing for micro bubbles to be returned to the tank.....You want your turnover done inside the tank; either from PH's or a CL. What type of lighting are you planning? Heat transfer from the Mag is an area I'm not found of as well.......

2quills

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3283698
I'm just wondering if alot of the water is going to end up bypassing the skimmer and going strait to the trap.

The skimmer isn't suppose to process all the water at 1 time anyways, so that is no big deal. If you look at any tank setup there is NO WAY the skimmer is processing all the water entering the skimmer compartment.....So shouldn't affect efficiency IMO.
From what I can tell, when the water flows over the overflow it's only going to have about a 3/4" fall before it runs over into the bubble trap.

Shouldn't be an issue.....The greater you increase the water fall or drop IMO, you'll increase noise, water splashing; which will lead to salt creep, and it also increases changes of bubbles being more prevalent, and possibly affecting skimmer performance, and possibly leading to the bubbles being transferred to the return section....Again JMHO.....
That makes sense with the saltcreep and what not. I know a skimmer could never process ALL of the water...just wasn't sure if that design would process enough to be effective or not. Good point with the noise issue too...but I wonder if that's going to even be noticed with the fact of running a skimmer and return pump uncovered on the back of the tank anyway...seems like you may get a good amount of noise from that stuff too.
See, this is why it's good to hear from the experts lol.

king_neptune

I use that exact same skimmer.
As its my first I dont really have anything to compare it to.
But I never really get much past beer colored water in the collection cup.
I get a fair share of scrapage/green to wipe clean every other day.
But I never see the dark black/green water that other people get at the top of thier collection cups.
This might be due to my light feeding habits, and few number of fish.
But just the same, im already shopping for a different model of skimmer.
This one just isn't violent enough with its foam making to impress me.
Its more like light bubbling that gently creeps up to the collection cup.
What im saying is...I don't think you're gonna hate it. But I don't think you're gonna rave about it either.
And final thoughts on the return....you will probbly want to consider an auto top off to complement it. My 55g sump has about a 15g return chamber. I add 5g 2x a week. It looked like yours was evern smaller, so you might be doing daily topoffs if you dont have an ATO planned. This is just a caution zone. Otherwise I like the design, it works well. Especially considering the nice compact skimmer you picked out.

geoj

I am hearing from others that this will have to be acrylic or at least the baffals will so how thick 1/4-3/8 of an inch?
I am still looking at a canopy that I can get the skim cup out with no clearance problems.
Thanks for your input...

geoj

Its more like light bubbling that gently creeps up to the collection cup.
What im saying is...I don't think you're gonna hate it. But I don't think you're gonna rave about it either.
And final thoughts on the return....you will probbly want to consider an auto top off to complement it. My 55g sump has about a 15g return chamber. I add 5g 2x a week. It looked like yours was evern smaller, so you might be doing daily topoffs if you dont have an ATO planned. This is just a caution zone. Otherwise I like the design, it works well. Especially considering the nice compact skimmer you picked out.
Yep, this is what I have noticed from mine. I think the size of the skim tube is too large for the amount of air. I have thought of ditching the hole thing and jus go 40 gal with sump but I still would like to cram it all in to a 24x24 stand…
Yes on ATO

acrylic51

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3283738
I am hearing from others that this will have to be acrylic or at least the baffals will so how thick 1/4-3/8 of an inch?
I am still looking at a canopy that I can get the skim cup out with no clearance problems.
Thanks for your input...
Are you referring to thickness of material to construct the tank and components? I wouldn't use either thickness for the build. Alot depends on how it's braced. 1/2" woul be a better choice.

geoj

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3283805
Are you referring to thickness of material to construct the tank and components? I wouldn't use either thickness for the build. Alot depends on how it's braced. 1/2" woul be a better choice.
Thanks

acrylic51

GeoJ were you looking for the top of the tank to be totally open or were you planning some type of bracing?

geoj

I was hopping it could be totally open so to give room in the back for a skimmer.
Now I am thinking that this design will end up with a very small display area. So I am still weighing my options. I might just go with a drilled overflow and sump. Any thoughts…

geoj

So I need to place a Skimmer, Chiller, ATO water reservoir, and or, Sump
And some sort of area to put all the odds and ends that go with keeping a tank…
I like the 60 cube stands that are out there so how would you go about this?