Crocea and Maxima pics

monsinour

since you have both, what one is easier to take care of? What all do you have to do? What kind of lighting do they need? Pristine water conditions as well? What one would you recomend to a first time clam owner?

florida joe

I will let meowzer answer but I will say this the one common denominator in all the lectures I have attended where the subject of calms was also discussed was that they benefit from as intense lighting as you can give them

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383855/crocea-and-maxima-pics#post_3362288
since you have both, what one is easier to take care of? What all do you have to do? What kind of lighting do they need? Pristine water conditions as well? What one would you recomend to a first time clam owner?
I have the crocea in my 225G under metal halides.....I do nothing special but keep up with my maintenance...and make sure I have appropriate calcium levels....for some reason (YAY) I have always been able to maintain good calcium levels.....I have no nitrates and have finally gotten a handle on the phosphates
The gold maxima was supposed to go in the 225G, BUT my tangs used it as a soccer ball..lol...so I moved it to the 29G which has T5 lighting....I also maintain excellent water quality in this tank......and it seems very happy in it
AS JOE mentioned....the proper lighting is very important....my addition to his statement is water quality and calcium...
I believe the Derasa is the easiest for a beginner, and also requires the least amount of lighting....

monsinour

well fiddle smurfs.
I doubt my current lights are good enough to go through 20" or so water to make any clam happy.

mylady

if we upgraded to better bulbs for our tank is it possible to have a Derasa clam? The reading I have done has also said that kind is the best for beginners. I know hubby wants to get better bulbs for our T5 lights, but would that be enough or would we have to get metal hallides for our 56 gallon before considering a clam?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383855/crocea-and-maxima-pics#post_3362483
But wont it move to where it's happy? and what if it moves to the bottom?
Anyways, when they come in stock elsewhere, I will be replacing the lights with the ATI lights as suggested in the other thread. Will the ATI's be good enough?
I had my Derasa under T5's and it did fine....of course it died..but I think that was cause I moved it and I really pissed it off ...not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/thread/383855/crocea-and-maxima-pics#post_3362474
FYI you dont have to keep a clam on the bottom of your tank
NO you don,t, BUT some clams like the Derasa prefer the sandy bottom

S

smartorl

....where they anchor to the cleaner clams or the cleaner anchors to them, they have a tug of war, and the dersa ends up wonky.
:)
Your clams look great!