Cutest Blenny Picture!

maxsmart

I just had to share these - our Hephestes (a lawnmower blenny) looks so cute! :joy:
I am so glad I bought him that little fort!

goodwin9

Originally Posted by vtfishies
labeled at fish store.( i have on hold) a momma blenney..related to the dragonette somehow..

I've have tried these 3 different times. Neat fish, but extremely difficult to keep. They feed off the bottom so if the tank doesn't have a lot of critters in your sand, they won't last long. I didn't have one last longer than a week. I couldn't get them to eat anything I fed the tank. If I ever considered buying one again, I would want to see them eat at the store before I brought one home again.

maxsmart

Originally Posted by mrdc
Great camoflauge! I think Blennies like having there picture taken!
Does anyone know for sure if the tendency of blennies to get dark/light is camouflage, as some people have suggested, or an indicator of mood, as others have suggested? Ours changes a lot lately. He can go from almost white to completely black. :notsure:

maxsmart

Originally Posted by goodwin9
Nice pictures
Interesting rock too.

By the way, the rock was a piece of "dead" rock I bought from a chain pet store - it's a carved volcanic rock. It has become live rock, and has coraline algae and isopods and such living in it.

maxsmart

I am so sad to say that little Hephestes has died. I found him perched in the front corner of the tank where he can see me and my wife, he must have died last night watching us one last time.

al mc

Sorry for your loss. The LMB is my daughter's favorite fish! I know it will be a sad day around here when 'Hugo' passes
(hopefully not for awhile
)

maxsmart

Originally Posted by Al Mc
Sorry for your loss. The LMB is my daughter's favorite fish! I know it will be a sad day around here when 'Hugo' passes
(hopefully not for awhile
)
I hope your Hugo lives a long and happy life. LMBs are the fish that's easiest to get attached to, they seem to be the most intelligent of any fish I've ever seen (I've had quite a lot over the years).
Hephestes (or Blenka/Blennichica as my wife affectionately called him - Russian for "my little blenny") would perch in the front when we would be in the room, and would look right in our eyes. If we weren't looking at him he'd bounce up a couple inches and flap his little fins as if to say "here I am!". During some really rough times we went through my wife would sit in front of the tank and talk to him while I was working long hours and she was unable to work. He would sit in front as long as she was there and that kept her from feeling lonely. He made my wife so happy, that I too have developed a strong affection for the cute little guy. I am devestated at the thought of having to tell her the bad news when she gets home late tonight.