cycling help, please

vsecret

My 55 gallon tank has been cycling with live rock/sand for 3 weeks now. I didn't notice much of a spike in any f my numbers. I just check again yesterday and they are all right on. Can i put in fish this weekend?
any opinion will help, im open for ANY info i can get

spanko

CUC first is the norm. Less expensive than the fish and if you rushed a bit the cuc dying doesn't hurt the pocket book as much.

spanko

Throw a few snails and hermits if you want hermits then wait a week and do some testing for ammonia and nitrite. If you see nothing try one small hardy fish. Don't know what your plans are for fish but if you plan some type of Amphirion sp. clownfish one or two of those would be a good starter. Then wait about two - three weeks after that all the while testing your water again.

vsecret

Thanks! Yeah I wanted to start out with 2 clown fish and call it good for a month or two. SO ill get the CUC this weekend then in like 2 weeks ill get the clowns. You've been a lot of help for this newbie :)

vsecret

oh and i dont know if this helps any, but when i bought my life rock a few days later came out 2 small bright orange crabs. now i cant figure out what kind they are, but they are adorable! They only come out when the lights are off, but oh well. So im not sure if they help or hurt?

spanko

For the most part pointy claws meat eaters, cupped rounded claws plant eaters. But with crabs nothing is guaranteed. When hungry they will all eat anything. Might want to try for a picture and put it up here for identification.

vsecret

oh yes, i probably should - haha. ill try to snag one tonight and then post!
thanks spanko you've been a big help!

locoyo386

Hi there,
Keep an eye on the crabs I believe they have to come up for air.
If possible provide a way for them to climb to the top (outside of the water) at the center of the tank.
Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/2990186
i forgot i had one, this is what the little bugger looks like

robertmathern

crabs dont come up for air. But there is no reef safe crab. Emrilds are about the closest to reef safe. That little guy dont look to bad though.

bang guy

Originally Posted by robertmathern
http:///forum/post/2990199
crabs dont come up for air. But there is no reef safe crab. Emrilds are about the closest to reef safe. That little guy dont look to bad though.
Porcelain Crabs and Acro Crabs, but in general I agree with you.
The crab pictured looks a lot like a female Fiddler crab.

locoyo386

This is from a webpage
"Keeping Fiddler Crabs

The fiddler crabs found in pet stores are most likely semi-terrestrial brackish crabs, which means they need some salt in their water as well as access to air and dry land. Unfortunately, many pet stores keep fiddlers in a freshwater aquatic set up, and recommend the same to new owners. They may do fine in a fresh water and fully aquatic set up for weeks, but will eventually become weak and die. If possible, find a store that keeps them in brackish water, or wait for a new shipment so their time spent in fresh water is minimal. Look for crabs that are active and have all their legs and claws.
Providing Brackish Water

Because most of these crabs are naturally from brackish waters, most experts recommend putting salt (get aquarium salt from the pet store; never use table salt) in the water. The ideal amount of salt to add is controversial, but it is probably best to get a hydrometer and add enough salt to the water to attain a specific gravity of around 1.005 - 1.010. Hydrometers are not all that expensive and can be found at pet stores and also home brewing shops. Alternatively, your package of aquarium salt may have instructions for producing brackish water conditions. It is okay to vary the salt concentration/specific gravity slightly as these crabs would naturally experience some variations in salinity.
Fiddler Crabs Need Land Too

Some provision should be made to provide the crabs with access to land/air. Owners that do not do this often find their crabs crawling up the filter intake and into or on top the filter in an attempt to find land. Providing a sloped bottom to the tank with part of the gravel or sand out of the water works well. Alternatively, use a partly filled tank with large rocks on which the crabs can climb out of the water."

tatoush

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/2990269
If it is a Fiddler Crab, do does need to come up for air?
I'm not 100% but I do think that Fiddler crabs need some sort of access to an 'out of water' environment as well. They also like brackish conditions.

robertmathern

Agreed fidler do need to come up out of the water. not sure how well it will live in your aquarium. If it is like mine she cant get out of the water so would not live long.

meowzer

I had fiddler crabs in my FW tank...found one 3 rooms away...LOL...crispy as can be
They were always trying to get on top of the tank....they just didn't realize when they got out and climbed down to the floor...they couldn't get back up