Dear Diary...

adairable

Hello all!
I just want to say that I think I am off to a good start and most, if not all, of the reason for that is because yall have helped me so much in the past few months.
I know there isn't much in the tank yet but I'll get there eventually. Everyone told me patience was the most important thing to remember. Well, patience isn't my forte but luckily neither is money, so I am taking this slower than I would like! Being a poor college student is the worst!!
Ok, I have had my tank up since the beginning of January. It's a 14g Biocube and my livestock includes:
10 turbos
4 blue-legged hermits
1 peppermint shrimp (he ate all the aiptasia and I <3 him for it)
and about a million fire worms
I also have LS and about 20lbs of LR
I look forward to any and all comments and constructive criticism!

Anywho, here is the first picture:

adairable

When will coralline algea start to appear? Somewhere I read it takes a few months and then it just appears almost over night.... :thinking:

trainfever

I'm not certain but I think you have to introduce Coraline into your tank first. Maybe a small piece of liverock with some Coraline on it. You have to keep your calcium up also which should not be a problem since here is nothing in our tank drawing calcium. If you are interested in Xenia, I have some frags that have Coraline on the rocks.
email me at trainfever at comcast dot net

adairable

Originally Posted by trainfever
I'm not certain but I think you have to introduce Coraline into your tank first. Maybe a small piece of liverock with some Coraline on it. You have to keep your calcium up also which should not be a problem since here is nothing in our tank drawing calcium. If you are interested in Xenia, I have some frags that have Coraline on the rocks.
email me at trainfever at comcast dot net
I may take you up on that! I am actually getting some xenia after this Easter weekend from another Philadelphian that did some fragging recently, Bonebrake. I am pretty sure that he has some coraline growth in the tank, I've seen pics but I can't remember....anywho, if that doesn't work out then I will be e-mailing you directly....
ps how far are you from manayunk?

adairable

***Update***
I am going to be taking some of my live rock in the tank and hitting it with hard objects...my cat, text books, and the like, then I am going to take out my bioballs and place it in there.
Does anyone see this as being a problem? I mean I have had those bioballs for a good 3 months, so I am guessing there is some beneficial bacteria on them....do you think removing them will affect my tank??? :thinking:

adairable

I know this is a repeat from another thread, but I still have no ID on it!
Any help would be appreciated and I apologize for the small size. The thing is literally smaller than the tip of my pinky...and I have small pinkies!!!!

nanokid

OFF TO A GREAT START!!!! THATS WHAT I HAD TO DO AND I HATED IT BUT YEAH THE KEY IS PATIENCE!!! I CANT WAIT FOR YOU TO GET A LITTLE CLOWNIE OR W.E YOU WANT.
:cheer:
:jumping: :joy:
:happyfish

trainfever

No, dont break your liverock, you paid too much for it. Hold off and buy some rubblerock. It is the small pieces of liverock that breaks off during shipment. You can get that for 1.99 per pound.
Also, I am in Northeast Philly, about 20-25 minutes from manayunk. That place you spoke about the other day with Aquatics in the name was probably East Coast Aquatics, down by the airport

L

lbaskball

I hope your 14gal biocube wont start leaking. Mine started to leak after Ive had it for 6and a half months. NEver buying biocubes again. However, doesnt mean yours will leak. Off to a good start.

adairable

Originally Posted by NanoKid
OFF TO A GREAT START!!!! THATS WHAT I HAD TO DO AND I HATED IT BUT YEAH THE KEY IS PATIENCE!!! I CANT WAIT FOR YOU TO GET A LITTLE CLOWNIE OR W.E YOU WANT.
I can't wait to get a clown! I want a little bitty one!!!! :happyfish ASAP

adairable

No, dont break your liverock, you paid too much for it. Hold off and buy some rubblerock. It is the small pieces of liverock that breaks off during shipment. You can get that for 1.99 per pound.
Also, I am in Northeast Philly, about 20-25 minutes from manayunk. That place you spoke about the other day with Aquatics in the name was probably East Coast Aquatics, down by the airport
I did pay too much for it!!! But I feel like its over kill in my tank now and I could use it as rumble....
what do you guys think? Too much rock or not?
I think there is too much, but I don't know. :notsure:
And that place is on Ridge....I think its called world-wide aquarium

adairable

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Looks like your off to a good start. I would make some more caves within the rock though.
Caves for the fishesssss? I mean i could try that out..... but, Im scared of the fireworms :scared: .... I need some of those gloves!

adairable

Originally Posted by lbaskball
I hope your 14gal biocube wont start leaking. Mine started to leak after Ive had it for 6and a half months. NEver buying biocubes again. However, doesnt mean yours will leak. Off to a good start.
That would be the worst! I am sorry that happened to you. Where did it start to leak so I can keep an eye on it?
Thanks for the heads up.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Adairable
That would be the worst! I am sorry that happened to you. Where did it start to leak so I can keep an eye on it?
Thanks for the heads up.

Right at the bottom around the front and on the left side where they use the glue. I kept getting a salt creep and I thought it was from water dripping down from the top whenever I did water changes, it turned out it was a leak. Eventuallly it got worse enough that you can literally see water drops comming out at the bottom. Go to ***** and buy those silicone sealant stuff just in case if something should happen to your tank. Thats what I did and it saved me from me from having to put my fish, corals and water into a bucket at 12midnight on a school night.

adairable

Originally Posted by lbaskball
Right at the bottom around the front and on the left side where they use the glue. I kept getting a salt creep and I thought it was from water dripping down from the top whenever I did water changes, it turned out it was a leak. Eventuallly it got worse enough that you can literally see water drops comming out at the bottom. Go to ***** and buy those silicone sealant stuff just in case if something should happen to your tank. Thats what I did and it saved me from me from having to put my fish, corals and water into a bucket at 12midnight on a school night.
I should def get some the next time I go to the LFS. I mean better safe than sorry, right? Finals is enough stress in itself...no tank stress welcome!

trainfever

You could actually use more LR or stack what you have up higher in the back. Just be sure when you stack it that you leave room between the rocks for fish to swim through, dont make them fit like puzzle pieces.
Dont be afraid to touch the rock, its not like the worms are sitting there waiting for you to touch the rock so they can sting you, or maybe they are?
:scared:
Just kidding, the worms will contract if you go near them, dont be afraid.

adairable

You could actually use more LR or stack what you have up higher in the back. Just be sure when you stack it that you leave room between the rocks for fish to swim through, dont make them fit like puzzle pieces.
Dont be afraid to touch the rock, its not like the worms are sitting there waiting for you to touch the rock so they can sting you, or maybe they are?
:scared:
Just kidding, the worms will contract if you go near them, dont be afraid.
OK i will procure some rubble from the LFS and remove those bioballs.
Also, I guess if I am getting coral they will come on live rock right? And then Ill have more... I dunno?
And more caves....will do. Then maybe I can get a fish to swim through them....I wanna fishey! I feel like Veruca Salt!