DeltaBlack22's 20L Frag Tank Diary!!!

deltablack22

Well, last but not least is an updated tank shot with the new equipment and the sole survivor of the tank. He looks good still - no signs of ich. I think its due to their natural slime coat involving anemones....

azfishgal

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
Heh, If your week was anything like mine you'd be halfway through a keg about now. I've got a tap if you wanna go halves on a keg...

Well, I'm pretty sure my week out did your week.
It's actually probably a good thing I'm not a heavy drinker or I'd be in big trouble. AND I would not be able to type right now.

Your pics look great! Now it's really starting to look like a frag tank. Can't wait to see what the frags look like in a few months.
I just put some new frags in my tank. Check out my diary.

BTW, tell your wife that's a great shot of your son! What a cutie!

fish addict

Fish can usually fight off ich on their own. You probably still have it in your tank but a healthy not stressed fish should be able to fight it off on their own.

deltablack22

Well, not much has changed with the tank. I did go through my display tank and thin out some of the xenia I had in there. I dont know if you can really tell in the picture with my son in it (oh and the wife said thanks AZ), but it was turning into a forest. And to think they started as two tiny stalks not 4 months ago... So thats really the only new addition is those two different types of xenia that I just kinda stuck all over the frag tank until I can get rid of them...
Well, still no signs of ich or mood change in the clownfish - keep your fingers crossed. I think I still have around 3-4 weeks until I can consider the tank ich free.
The only thing I have left equipment wise that I want to add is a glass or plexi top for it. I just think too much dust falls into the tank not having a top at all. Anyone have any suggestions besides building a canopy for the tank as to what I can do to keep the dust out? This would also help out with the excessive evaporation on this tank and I wanna do it as cheap as possible...

azfishgal

I think having an open top does more for the tank, then having a closed top, IMO. Maybe you can put a fan to blow across the tank so the dust can't settle.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I think having an open top does more for the tank, then having a closed top, IMO. Maybe you can put a fan to blow across the tank so the dust can't settle.

I would tend to agree, but being a frag tank and with weekly water changes I dont have any kind of surface skimmer so everything in the air settles on the surface of the water and the tank doesnt have the ability to remove it... Maybe the reason why it just seems "dirty" to me is because I stopped adding any kind of clean up crew when the fish came down with ich.

deltablack22

Well I got rid of all that xenia that was growing rampant in my display and now its back to a managable size. The LFS gave me 5 lbs of decent sized "rubble rock" as well as a brand new glass top for a 20L... Sweet deal for something I was going to flush if I couldnt get rid of it anyway.
I put the good looking pieces into my display and the not so nice ones into the frag tank for xenia grow out to go back to the LFS. I just wish I had some more of that silver xenia that greg gave me. My frag seemed to disappear somehow.

deltablack22

Yeah I'll try to get some this weekend. Me and some buddies discovered kayaking in the ocean and have been having a blast with it. Takes up all our free time lately...

deltablack22

We had a blast yesterday on my wifes birthday and she actually asked for another clownfish to join the one we already have. I picked him up at lunch while she was at work and he (smallest of the two) was there waiting when she got home.

deltablack22

Allright, here comes a bunch more pics. This first batch is of some of my zoos and a gsp experiment I'm doing. I placed one of the frags in the middle, and one of them near the middle and had it laying flat, and the other near the base and had it vertical (they are both vertical right now and now that I'm writing this I dont remember why - I'll fix it later). I've also done something like this with zoos by placing two polyps spread out on a disc and others with two polyps in the middle to see which one spreads out faster. Nothing scientific, just trying out variations....

deltablack22

Last up I have an updated full tank shot. Then comes a picture of the clownfish pair that my wife took showing my nasty frag rack... They really seemed to hit it off and stay near each other all the time. And finally I threw in a picture of a really strange looking snail I have. It appears to have some kind of macro algae growing on it but I really have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

azfishgal

What a nice present for your wife.
You tank is starting to look like a real frag tank. That snail picture is pretty funny. I have no idea what kind of algea it is though.

deltablack22

Thanks yall... The tank is starting to get really dirty now though. I just added 5 more snails like the one with the garden on his back and 2 red hermits. Those guys plus the clownfish and 5 nassarius snails are all thats in the tank now.
I was thinking about adding 1 or 2 more fish and maybe a shrimp of some sort. I love the sixline wrasse and was hoping to be able to get one of these and perhaps a colorful small goby but not sure if this would be too much of a bioload. What else would you put in here?

deltablack22

Well heres a few more updates and some pics to accompany them... I just traded a few things with my buddy Mike, and he hooked me up with some really bright red zoas (picture truly does NOT do it justice) and a great little head of branching hammer coral. You cant see it but there is an tiny little head peaking out of the base of the hammer as well. I wish I could show you the hammer mother colony though, it is crazy!!! Thanks again Mike...

deltablack22

I stopped by the LFS today and picked up some crabs. I got 'em for $8 each and not sure if thats a good deal but thought they were pretty cool anyway. I ended up getting 2 Emeralds for my Display and 1 Anemone Crab for my frag tank. I dont know much about them so feel free to offer comments on either - I need to do a little refresher reading on crabs I suppose.