DeMartini's 8 gallon BioCube

deltablack22

I use the stuff whenever I see cyano pop up now and I have coral. The only adverse effect that I have seen is the rhodactis mushrooms puff up for about 15 minutes but nothing else shows negative signs. I also use slightly less than the label calls for and do the water change 48 hrs later like it says.

flricordia

Originally Posted by rattler739
how exactly would you do that just break it off @ the branch or something else?
do you have any suggestions for getting nitrates down, its at about 20-40 (never over 40 but not usually under 20, it been like this for 2 weeks) I have done water changes every 2 or 3 days about a gallon each time and i have even tried kent nitrate remover. can u suggest anything else thanks

P.S. I am new to saltwater and this forum any help on anything is much appreciated

Try these. I use them instead of a skimmer in my 20cube.
http://www.**************.com/produc...5&pcatid=13965
You can see they work.

demartini

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
Lauren, that Gorgonian is RIDICULOUS!! (As is your camera). The detail in your close-ups is National Geographic-esque. I think Im going to take back my camera and upgrade because while I like my full-tank shots, there are some things of which I cant get close-ups...
Hey, have you ever used Tiger Pods?
I paid 20 bucks for a bottle of them. Im going camping this weekend and figured my new fish would be able to forage while Im gone. And in the long run, Im hoping they will colonize the tank.
Do you think these pods will reproduce and colonize Aragonite Reef Sand???
Finally, can you tell me the name of my new finger coral? And also, do you know why he/she is leaning to the right? As you can see from the pic, the "branches" are reaching towards the light, but the base of it is bent to the right. There is no rock supporting it and it stands up all on its own. As long as it is happy Im happy, but I just want to make sure he looks ok.
As always
PS - I noticed my hermits scraping at the back base of the finger coral. I figured it was them just cleaning, didn't think they were harming her. But you can definately see the position change over 48 hours.
Thanks!
I've never used tigger pods, but I'm sure they will reproduce. I think they live more in the rocks than the sand.
the scientific name for your finger coral is sinularia spp. You should move it to top of the tank because it's a high light coral. it's leaning to the right because that's the way the flow is pushing it.

demartini

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Hey Lauren,
When I moved my tank to my new house I unintentionally stirred up my sandbed and I think I released a lot of junk into the water because I have had a serious red cyanobacteria problem ever since. I am losing the battle and some of my corals are receding. I know you had success with the Chemiclean Red Slime Remover a long time ago when you first started your tank. Did you suffer any deaths or have any corals at the time? I hate to use chemicals, but I am ready to as a last resort. My new tank is cycling now and I have no other option in the meantime.

Thanks for your help!
Chemi clean worked great! Just be sure to read the directions VERY carefully. I added like half of the spoon full. I had no problems with it and all my corals survived.... I haven't had cyano since.
good luck! =)

demartini

Originally Posted by Keri
I like how your sexy shrimp poses so well for photos lol
hehe they are so cute. I have like four in my eight gallon... and I want more hahah

demartini

I bought this frogspawn 2 days ago. I love how it looks, so thought I would share! =) It's going to be in my new 17 gallon ADA tank, but for now it's in this tank.

new2salt1

Originally Posted by Flricordia
Try these. I use them instead of a skimmer in my 20cube.
http://www.**************.com/produc...5&pcatid=13965
You can see they work.

flricordia, it looks like your tank is full of sour patch kids and gummy bears! I think that is the most color I have ever seen! Yum!
Lauren, where ya been? I forgot I wrote that post. The sinularia is a bit of a madman, bending in all sorts of directions. I found a good flow that he likes. And I want to get him up higher, but his base is too big to fit into a crevice in my LR.
I was thinking of breaking the base or fragging the coral and spreading it around the higher sections of the tank, but Im afraid to hurt it. Also, there is a nice coral on the base and I dont want to kill IT (see pic).
Can you tell me how you would frag the finger?? And will breaking the base of the finger kill the coral on it?

demartini

I'm not sure exactly how to frag finger corals. I'm pretty sure you just cut the fingers off. I've seen directions posted before, so try searching the forums for finger leather fragging. I wouldn't cut the base.

demartini

Originally Posted by florida joe
Don’t tell anyone your secret (its all because your name ends in a vowel)
hahaha
Just like you!

demartini

Originally Posted by saltn00b
your palys and happy gorgonian look great!
thank you! unfortunately my gorgonian isn't doing very well. =(