Detane's NANOWAVE 9 project

darknes

Very nice looking tank Detane!
I've been researching nano-tanks, and really like the nanowave except for the heat issues I've read about. Could you show your chiller setup and how you are running water to the chiller?

detane

Originally Posted by fishstick4sale
http:///forum/post/2960323
the lights in that 9gallon what r they? 2 36watt? or 2 24watt?.. by the way i ordered one. lol and i will b ordering a chiller
The Aqua Medic Nano Wave 9 is the most complete and innovative mini-reef aquarium available.
Modular Filtration: Mechanical, Biological plus Refugium w/dedicated power-compact light. Each filtration module lifts out for easy maintenanc.
Power-driven venturi protein skimmer
The integrated refugium reduces maintenance
9 gallons
Outstanding flow-rate
East to care for, radiused glass construction
Over 5 watts per gallon with 2x24 PC lighting
Dual Moonlights

detane

Originally Posted by Darknes
http:///forum/post/2960485
Very nice looking tank Detane!
I've been researching nano-tanks, and really like the nanowave except for the heat issues I've read about. Could you show your chiller setup and how you are running water to the chiller?
From what I hear about the heat issue, it only pertains to those who dont have a chiller/heater to maintain the temp. I also found that most of the folks with heat issues where using way to many watts to heat this 9 gallon.

So far I have not had any issues at all. my temp stays steady. I will post pics of my chiller setup, and why I set it up the way i did. Pics up tonight after work.

detane

The return is located next to my skimmer. the reason I placed it there was because of the water flow which travels underneath the sponge filter and refugium. The pump is located on the left side above the tank return pump. This way the tank return pump catches most of the temp adjusted water, while the chiller/heater pump just continues to keep the water temp constant.. I know it may not make sence to most, but it works.

nissan577

wow man love the tank. but why dont you add more lr so that the corals can spread? will look much better!

detane

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2961663
wow man love the tank. but why dont you add more lr so that the corals can spread? will look much better!
if i add more rock the water flow will suffer. I will have dead spots in the tank. Then to correct the water flow i would have to add a power head, that looks ugly. Also having a lot of rock gives your live stock to many places to hide. I like being able to see my live stock so this aqua-scape works out better for me. The 2 clowns in the tank have already made homes in the shells underneath the show piece rock, and on the side clam shells. I placed those there for that exact reason.

detane

On a side note. I will be upgrading to a 180 gallon tank very soon. I will still keep the nano in the office but i wanted a bigger tank at home.

swimmer4uus

Well I mentioned to my girlfriend that I wanted one of these little nano tanks, and that for that price it was an awesome deal. I then went out and figured out what I'd put in it, and planned what I would do IF I got one, but didn't plan on opening my door today and seeing the box sitting at my front door. She also says she's gonna buy everything for it for my birthday

So basically I'm going to use your tank as a blueprint if you don't mind! Amazing tank!

nissan577

Originally Posted by DETANE
http:///forum/post/2961972
if i add more rock the water flow will suffer. I will have dead spots in the tank. Then to correct the water flow i would have to add a power head, that looks ugly. Also having a lot of rock gives your live stock to many places to hide. I like being able to see my live stock so this aqua-scape works out better for me. The 2 clowns in the tank have already made homes in the shells underneath the show piece rock, and on the side clam shells. I placed those there for that exact reason.
i get it. but why dont you get a koralia 1. those are ugly looking. they look amazing! but the corals will spread more!

detane

Originally Posted by swimmer4uus
http:///forum/post/2966555
Well I mentioned to my girlfriend that I wanted one of these little nano tanks, and that for that price it was an awesome deal. I then went out and figured out what I'd put in it, and planned what I would do IF I got one, but didn't plan on opening my door today and seeing the box sitting at my front door. She also says she's gonna buy everything for it for my birthday

So basically I'm going to use your tank as a blueprint if you don't mind! Amazing tank!
If you need any help just ask. Thats why I joined this site, to help.
First thing is to start by doing the timer fix.

swimmer4uus

Thanks, I definantly plan on sending you pm's or something. I have fresh water in it tonight doing a leak test. I'll drain it tomorrow, and wait for the cooling fan I just ordered to arrive, and I'll try to find a neighbor that has a dremel or something that I can use to open up the vents. My dad has one, but that's three hours away.
Thanks for providing your advice. I'm also gonna unscrew the lights to see how hard it would to be to rewire that lighting, otherwise I'll have to keep with manually switching them for now.

detane

Originally Posted by swimmer4uus
http:///forum/post/2967290
Thanks, I definantly plan on sending you pm's or something. I have fresh water in it tonight doing a leak test. I'll drain it tomorrow, and wait for the cooling fan I just ordered to arrive, and I'll try to find a neighbor that has a dremel or something that I can use to open up the vents. My dad has one, but that's three hours away.
Thanks for providing your advice. I'm also gonna unscrew the lights to see how hard it would to be to rewire that lighting, otherwise I'll have to keep with manually switching them for now.
NO!! dont buy the Cooling fans!! Waste of time and money. All you need to do is make the vents bigger. you could even use a razor blade to cut the vents bigger. Save that money for a chiller/heater.

swimmer4uus

Well, this is gonna be on my night stand and it's right next to my bed so I don't have any room for a chiller. Will just opening the vents still be enough, or should I start thinking about something else?