Disappearing Pods?

reef newbie

Could the use of a UV light be what's making my Pods disappear? I've seen them before I had the UV light. Now I can't find a single one.

rbmount

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I never see a pod unless all lights are out. Tne only time I see any is when I get a flashlight after lights out or first thing in the morning when I turn on my lights. I do see them if I take off my hob skimmer. I have them and mystis shrimp in mine.

saltyj

I see tons with the lights on especially at feeding time they come out to eat with the fishies.
Saltyj:happyfish

bang guy

The purpose of UV is to kill any living cells that pass through. Seems normal that it would kill larvae and this will reduce your zooplankton populations. I don't believe the typical UV will directly kill most pods, they're just not strong enough. I think they will kill larvae & eggs in the water column though.

reef newbie

:nervous: Thanks for the info.I do look at my tank at night and I still don't see any Pods.Is there anything else that could be killing my Pods?I only have five fish in my 90 gal. tank. A Kole tang,blue damsel,lawnmower blenny,green chromis and a dottyback. These fish wouldn't beable to wipe all of my Pods out would they?

kreach

What inverts do you have in the tank? Do you have a sand sifting star or anything like that?