distilled water?

40 galons

i used distilled all the time, that i get right out of the gallon jug at wally world

phixer

Did you know that true distilled water will not conduct electricity? What this has to do with anything I dont know.

thenamshow

i did know that it does not conduct electricity. its because its pure...guess you do learn something in chemistry class

joeram

i read on here that distilled is not a good choice because it does not have the essential elements that water should have.
one can purchase the di/ro water at wally world for 62 cents a galon.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Phixer
Did you know that true distilled water will not conduct electricity? What this has to do with anything I dont know.
What? How is this possible?

bang guy

Originally Posted by joeram
i read on here that distilled is not a good choice because it does not have the essential elements that water should have.
Ro/DI doesn't have any essential elements either. The idea is to use pure water and let your salt mix provide what's needed.

bpd

Originally Posted by thenamshow
i did know that it does not conduct electricity. its because its pure...guess you do learn something in chemistry class
It will conduct very little. Electricity is conducted by electrodes (stuff IN the water), like salts or metals. Distilled water doesnt have those.
Still.. I wouldnt recommend dropping your hair dryer in a tub of distilled water to test it out. :)

bang guy

Originally Posted by bpd
It will conduct very little. Electricity is conducted by electrodes (stuff IN the water), like salts or metals. Distilled water doesnt have those.
Still.. I wouldnt recommend dropping your hair dryer in a tub of distilled water to test it out. :)
Good post.
This is also how TDS meters work, they test the conductivity of the water. 0 TDS or 0 Ms means that the water does not conduct electricity and is therefore pure water.

watson3

Originally Posted by joeram
Ouch..Is 30 cents here

bpd

then i will have to get a lot of distilled water...i have been using tap water =(
how big is your tank?

bpd

29 gallons, not a lot as in my tank is big, but just like be able to have it handy
right
that might be managable. any bigger and (imo) it makes much more sense to make your own RO/DI water.

yacobito

When you deionize water you get ride of both foreign ions, such as Na(+1) and Cl(-1), and any EXCESS OH and H3O. You will always have some OH and H3O that you can't take out. I work in a Nanofabrication facility, so I get my water from here. The DI water system we have takes water to 20 MOhms and higher (which pretty much isn't conductive at all). Thats some pretty clean water! I have been using it for all my water changes for a couple years now without any problems.

phixer

Originally Posted by earlybird
What? How is this possible?
Its the impurities in water that make it conductive. Distilled water lacks many of the impurities that allow the electricity to flow.