Dive trip... I mean business trip... to Guam (Micronesia)

brooklyn johnny

I was recently lucky enough to be sent to Guam (Micronesia) for business for two weeks. One of my coworkers is also a certified diver and so we took full advantage of being on the island. The project I'm on will require travels to Guam, Hawaii, and five other locations about every 9 months and I'm excited. Later on this year we hit Guam again and I'd like to extend it into a vacation to Palau, which everyone on Guam spoke of very highly...
The diving was needless to say awesome, and I saw more diversity than previous trips to Hawaii, the Caribbean, and the Galapagos combined. Included in this was 24 species of butterflies, six species of angels (plus one hybrid), a few clownfish species with anemones, Tridacna clams, excellent coral development, and countless other things...
We stopped in Japan on the way out and back, and on top of other things I was able to check out a three story aquarium store that was beautiful...
I took many photos with the underwater disposable cameras that didn't work too well, but I'll share them anyway...
We worked on the Naval Base and stayed in Tumon Bay (the little Waikiki of Guam). The tourism in Guam I was told by a hotel worker is 95% Japanese, but it felt more like 99%. While most goverment rate rooms are in nice hotels with not so nice views, I was able to score an oceanfront room at the Hyatt with this incredible view of Tumon Bay. This bay was loaded with Acropora, Porites, and other sps and soft corals...

brooklyn johnny

I was very excited to see new species of angels, which are lacking in the Caribbean, Hawaii, and the Eastern Pacific. Here is one of the regal angels I saw which was one of the highlights of the trip as in my avatar you could see a pic of my red Sea regal that graces my sps tank. I was like a kid in a candy store...

brooklyn johnny

Many of the great locations to snorkel/dive were on the Naval Base and only available to those with base access... this location is known as the Spanish Steps and this little bay was loaded with things including lemon peel angels...

brooklyn johnny

Another exciting find was this lemonpeel/halfblack Centropyge hybrid... I've seen these for sale before but never in the wold obviously... sorry for the quality of the photo...

brooklyn johnny

Tomato clown and domino damsel in a carpet anemone seen on a dive near an observatory underwater... we stopped here to say hello to the Japanese tourists inside the observatory:D

brooklyn johnny

We saw many clams... all were maximas... and I was surprised to see how many had dissolved the coral around them to embed themselves. I had known that this was common with croceas, but maximas were everywhere showing this...

S

spsaddict

you obviously forgot to inform me of tis trip...i woulda stowed away in your luggage :)
anyway beautiful pics, even the one you set up... im jelous!!!!