Dive trip... I mean business trip... to Guam (Micronesia)

brooklyn johnny

a very bad pic of an awesome fish... look in the center and you could see the huge Napolean wrasse nose down a few feet in length... to the right of it is a full grown pink-tail trigger for size comparison...

brooklyn johnny

Thanks kpk... unfortunately my wife had maxed out her vacation and couldn't come along... but after her, I'd take one of you guys...:D
Here's one of all of us... my other coworker did a "discover scuba" program and dove for the first time... it took all of my hand skills to say to another diver..."Can you take a picture of all three of us?":D
I'm on the left in the blue...

brooklyn johnny

For those that ask "can my soft corals get too much light," here is a load getting baked in the equatorial sun... the visibility at places was the best I've ever dove and was well over 100 feet... I am soon going to invest in a real camera to get better photos...

brooklyn johnny

On the way back we stayed in downtown Tokyo and went halfway up to 6000 feet on Mount Fuji... (it's only covered in snow in the winter)

nemo lover

Sounds like you had alot of fun! Those pics could make anyone jelous. Please keep us updated on your future trips.
P.S. looks like you worked real hard!

brooklyn johnny

Work hard... play hard... I didn't get hooked up with this project because I'm a diver, and yes we worked hard...
One of the major non-computer related problems was dealing with contractors installing the classroom for our training system... the main contractor was Phillipino, and they subcontracted out the AC to Koreans and the electricity to local Chamorans from Guam...
what this equalled was three languages plus English for a total of four... and me in the middle trying to make sense of it all...:D
Anyway we did actually work about 100 hours in the two weeks we were there so no comments about that:mad:

Anyway here's one of four species of Heniochus butterflies seen

harrysreef

Awesome thanks for sharing. What do you do for a living that someone is willing to pay for you to go to such a "horrid" place.

brooklyn johnny

I am a systems engineer for a small company contracted to develop submarine training systems for the Navy. Although it's mentally demanding work, travelling for the Navy is nice because you'll always be near water. One of the advantages also in travelling 16,000 miles round trip to Guam is that our contract gives us a paid stopover which we chose to do in two different cities in Japan on the way out and back. The per diem (meal money) for Asia is excellent too, and in downtown Tokyo it was $169 a day... compared to around $40-$50 in the continental US. The seven places I've travelled to this year to install this trainer are Guam, Pearl Harbor HI, Bangor WA, San Diego CA, Kings Bay GA, Norfolk VA, and Groton CT. Late this year me and another guy will hit all the sites for software upgrades... I'm very lucky to have these opportunities I realize, but I never truly relax as I worry about my tanks constantly while away...
I always love seeing what people see at different locations, but once again I apologize for the poor quality of the pics...
Anyway here are some more tomato clowns I saw in a giant bubble-tipped anemone...

nemo lover

Definately sounds like you worked hard. I wouldn't be able to sleep I'd be so excited. But I do like the perks of your job! My father has just picked a contract with the coast gaurd doing there cooling systems/refridgeration. He does do some traveling but so far only in Fl.