DIY Stand

scott9311

I thought I'd share some photos of my new stand and canopy. Hopefully it may give others some ideas!
First piece of the frame:

scott9311

Finished!
I built it to stand approx. 36 inches high to be more at eye level. I also put in two side doors to make the maintenance a lot easier on the refugium and sump. It also makes for easier water changes because I can open the side door, pull out the pump (while still attached to the hose supplying the tank), and put it in the bucket with the fresh salt water to be pumped into the tank.

Great looking stand!
It really irritates me to see other people are so proficient working with wood. The only thing I manage to cut in a straight line is my fingers :mad:

silentshaw

Building a stand right now and your framing is intersting, was the stand for your 120gal? The stand i'm making is for a 90gal. the framing i can handle but the cabinet making is a bit beyond my skills. your stand turned out great.

scott9311

Thanks everyone! :)
silentshaw: Yes, the framing was for my 120 gal. Yes, it's a bit overdone as far as the size wood I used (2x4), but I DEFINITELY didn't want to worry about it crashing down on me! The shell actually wasn't too difficult once the framing was up. To save money... I used regular 1/2" pine plywood, and glued 1/4" oak plywood on top of it. You get the oak finish at less the price!

poop_head

Hey scott I think your stand looks awsome! I'm planning on building one for my 55 gal. but I'm thinking of using iron to make the frame and then use wood for the doors and what not. I really like the cabinet doors with the triangular design. How did you go about doing that? Thanks for the inspiring pics.

scott9311

Thanks! Like I said in an earlier post..., I used 1/2" pine plywood and 1/4" oak glued on top of the pine. For the doors... I just cut triangular pieces of the oak, arranged them so that the grain didn't line up, and for two of the triangles per door... I only applied one coat of stain.

seanboy88

awesome i have 125 gallon tank and would love a stand likethat one .....too bad i cant cut a straight line with a ruler!!!!

goinballde

very nice wood work..I am thinking of doing the same thing this summer.converting my 55 into fuge then getting a 120 for my b-day..