Do you follow your own advice?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388540/do-you-follow-your-own-advice#post_3427293
lol, ya'll are just taking what I say and going down the list. What are some of the things that you say to do, but don't do yourself? Think about it.
I'm one of those opinionated boobs who think my advice is good, because the advise I give is the way I would do it. I think that's why most people give advice. We see a request for some help and think...What would I do in that situation, or what did I do in that situation when it happened to me? Sometimes when I'm reading and it's a problem I have never encountered, then I follow along to learn. I can't imagine anyone giving advice that they themselves would not do.
Setting up a quarantine tank I can understand telling someone to do that, and not doing it yourself....it would be reckless to tell someone...I never used a QT and never had a problem...then some poor beginner crash their reef tank by getting ick then trying to treat it with meds that don't work. Same thing I feel about RO water, to tell someone to use tap because they do and haven't had an issue is reckless and dangerous for anothers tank.
If you do something that can kill all your critters, keep it to yourself and not advise others to follow your bad example. I do believe those who do this are actually just looking for confermation.
That being said there was one time I used tap water...I had left my husband, I gave away my fish and coral but left the tank up and running and returned nearly a month later...to find the tank 1/2 full of water from evaporation and the power heads and rocks nearly exposed and spewing water splashing all over inside the tank. I grabbed a container and filled it with tap water and poored it into the tank to cover the power heads. I figured I had to break down the tank anyway. To my amazement...I see hermit crabs still crawling around, the SG had to have been super high, so the the next evening, I finished filling the tank with RO and never looked back. I didn't dechlorinate the water, nothing. I never got any algae because I broke down the tank a month later and moved to Illinois. That was my 75g tank and my husband gave it to one of his friends. I purchased the 90g that I still have today.

meowzer

LOL...
I do not use gloves, BUT I don't recall telling anyone to
I USE to NOT have a QT, BUT do now :) BUT have ALWAYS advised a person to use one
I use to advise (still will) AGAINST using chemicals...BUT recently had to

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388540/do-you-follow-your-own-advice/20#post_3427394
I'm one of those opinionated boobs who think my advice is good, because the advise I give is the way I would do it. I think that's why most people give advice. We see a request for some help and think...What would I do in that situation, or what did I do in that situation when it happened to me? Sometimes when I'm reading and it's a problem I have never encountered, then I follow along to learn. I can't imagine anyone giving advice that they themselves would not do.
Setting up a quarantine tank I can understand telling someone to do that, and not doing it yourself....it would be reckless to tell someone...I never used a QT and never had a problem...then some poor beginner crash their reef tank by getting ick then trying to treat it with meds that don't work. Same thing I feel about RO water, to tell someone to use tap because they do and haven't had an issue is reckless and dangerous for anothers tank.
If you do something that can kill all your critters, keep it to yourself and not advise others to follow your bad example. I do believe those who do this are actually just looking for confermation.
That being said there was one time I used tap water...I had left my husband, I gave away my fish and coral but left the tank up and running and returned nearly a month later...to find the tank 1/2 full of water from evaporation and the power heads and rocks nearly exposed and spewing water splashing all over inside the tank. I grabbed a container and filled it with tap water and poored it into the tank to cover the power heads. I figured I had to break down the tank anyway. To my amazement...I see hermit crabs still crawling around, the SG had to have been super high, so the the next evening, I finished filling the tank with RO and never looked back. I didn't dechlorinate the water, nothing. I never got any algae because I broke down the tank a month later and moved to Illinois. That was my 75g tank and my husband gave it to one of his friends. I purchased the 90g that I still have today.
I agree a lot here. I tell noobs to set up a qt, not use tap, etc... because it would be reckless if I wouldn't. BUT, if, as you said, there was a more complicated question that I didn't know the answer to or wouldn't do it myself, I would never tell them to do something.

darthtang aw

i rarely give advise anymore. I find most people that ask for it...are gonna do what they want to anyway and really aren't looking for advice. Instead they are looking for validation.
darth (i got something you can validate) Tang

reefraff

There are too many different ways to skin a cat so I try to limit my advice to lighting. I don't necessarily recommend some of the stuff I do because it's unconventional and until I've heard of someone else having success doing the same thing I assume I am just lucky.

deejeff442

got a bit busyt last week with work but i plan to get there this week .i promise.
i am thinking a flame angel,copperband butterfly and not sure on the 3rd fish yet?
any suggestions?maybe a perc then i would have alot of colors covered

deejeff442

i am doing a reef.obviously most people would know here a puffer wont be in a reef.the rest of the world looking at it wouldnt know but if someone with some knowlage did i dont want that.
stupid maybe but....