Do you think Obama should have called the Cambridge Police Stupid?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its hard for me to understand why anyone would view a police officier asking for ID on a possible break in call results in a tirade, unless the guy had mental problems....or is a racist himself. The latter I'm afraid, from the looks of it.
Maybe the officer took the arrest thing too far. Its interesting, though, that the other man who assisted the professor get in to his house, didn't get arrested. Could it be that he just gave the officer the information requested without going postal?
Anyway, why does any of this need input from the President of the USA? The leader of the free world?
Obama, always says 1, 2, 3.....so you better get used to it. lol

ophiura

One story said the other guy was his driver, so he may not have been there at the time.
I would be totally on board if the guy was completely agreeable and was arrested. There are wrongful arrests, and there is profiling. But this is not really profiling. The guy seen supposedly breaking in, is in fact the guy who was forcing the door. Sooo...
But anyway, it is a shame, because I think that this may harm the career of what by all accounts appears to be a "good cop" while there are problems out there. But they are not all bad cops.

dragonzim

Obama should not have commented at all on a local issue such as this.
That being said, I think Gates was totally in the wrong and fully deserved to be arrested. The officer was doing his job by responding to a report of a break in. Race had nothing to do with it until Gates brought it up. Gates refused to show identification provingthat he did indeed live there and then continued to harass the officer who, again, was only trying to do his job.

socal57che

umm. I vote for waiting until the water settles before jumping in over your head. (No matter who you are.)
Fallout from this might follow a guy around for a while.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
From what I read, the driver assisted in the break in when the professor couldn't get his door open. This actually makes sense why a neighbor would call the police. If they saw a stranger (the driver) breaking in, but didn't notice the professor who they may have been familiar with. Why would a neighbor call the police if they recognized the professor? Oh, because the neighbor was a racist too, and just wanted to cause problems.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3093278
From what I read, the driver assisted in the break in when the professor couldn't get his door open. This actually makes sense why a neighbor would call the police. If they saw a stranger (the driver) breaking in, but didn't notice the professor who they may have been familiar with. Why would a neighbor call the police if they recognized the professor? Oh, because the neighbor was a racist too, and just wanted to cause problems.
I think you got it

groupergenius

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3093265
umm. I vote for waiting until the water settles before jumping in over your head. (No matter who you are.)
Fallout from this might follow a guy around for a while.
So Cal..all due respect. Not totally sure where you were going with this..but,
Suffered no fallout from Reverend Wright, Bill Ayers, Rezko (sp) and a few others just fine. Why would this be any different. Barry can say and do whatever he wants. Don't question it or your a racist.

tangman99

I think Obama was wrong to comment at all. He was also very wrong to take a side when the whole controversy is about a black man being profiled. I didn't read the article but saw some news flashes. Obama is the president of the United States and is the President for every person regardless of color. I didn't vote for him, I don't care for what he is doing in most of his decisions but when I see him stand up there and comment on an issue like this I have pretty much lost all respect for him.

geridoc

I was watching the news conference, and the moment President Obama said that, I knew that he had outdone Joe Biden for inserting limbs into oral cavities. I can believe that a newcomer to politics would know better, but he is the President - I expected more from him.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3093216
Its a very odd reaction in my way of thinking---unless you're a racist yourself.

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici

http:///forum/post/3093218
I think we should all take a deep breath and just be thankful Joe(Hoof in mouth) Biden wasnt asked the question.
I dunno, I think Joe's found his match...
The poor cop just got slammed by the president. yeah, Rev Wright hasn't influenced his mindset at all... You'd think a professor at Fartvord might know how to talk to the police without getting arrested. It is just completely stupid.

reefraff

That idiot that got arrested needs to chug a big steaming cup of shut the ---- up!
I can see how the culture of victimization could lead him to fly off the handle thinking he was being hassled because he was black but being given the time to think about it he should have realized that
1. Many robbers when caught claim to be the homeowner or owner of the car they just stole.
2. It would be possible for a robber to have been hiding in the room with a gun on the homeowner so he would tell the cop everything was OK.
It was perfectly reasonable for the cop to check ID and to get him outside where he knew the guy wasn't in danger or a hostage situation.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3093692
That idiot that got arrested needs to chug a big steaming cup of shut the ---- up!
I can see how the culture of victimization could lead him to fly off the handle thinking he was being hassled because he was black but being given the time to think about it he should have realized that
1. Many robbers when caught claim to be the homeowner or owner of the car they just stole.
2. It would be possible for a robber to have been hiding in the room with a gun on the homeowner so he would tell the cop everything was OK.
It was perfectly reasonable for the cop to check ID and to get him outside where he knew the guy wasn't in danger or a hostage situation.
I agree. I was robbed recently. My screen was cut open and they got a good amount of money. I was at work at the time. My son came home and saw the cut screen. He called me and I called the police. It took me half an hour to get home. I was not allowed to enter my own house. I was asked for ID as soon as I got out of the car. I was not allowed to even enter my home until they were done looking around.
Of course they asked him for some ID and to step out of the house!! They need to make sure that he is who he says he is and that he is not in danger. Most people are fully aware that if you give the police an attitude then trouble is likely comming. For the president to back up his behavior because of his race is completely ridiculous IMO. He shouldn't have even gotten involved. The fact that he sees nothing wrong with what he said just shows his true colors. He isn't very impressive without the teleprompter on...

jackri

Just the press making a mountain out of a molehill.
Of course Obama shouldn't have said that but it should have never been brought up to him. Why should the president really care about such a small issue that's getting soo blown up.. are we that sick of talking about the health care that nobody wants?
George W got butchered trying to let people invest 2% of their social security or at least put it in a savings account.
The question I have about the health care (yeah way off tangent now) is ok.. those who aren't covered still by law can't be denied coverage.... so all those poor children (the only ones we care about right?) still can have their broken arm fixed.

shogun323

I responded to an alarm at our office a while back and arrived before the police. I waited outside the door for them to arrive. They came and cleared the building. I was actually disturbed that they didnt ask me for any proof of who I was or proof that I even worked for the company.
Had they done that I would have gladly complied. I feel the Cambridge Police acted accordingly.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3093921
This is what Happens when Obama forgets to turn on his teleprompter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU
Hes just a America hating liberal that fooled a majority of Americans to vote for him and his vision of change.Surprise!!! Hes trying his best to run the country into the ground and is close to doing the job.Good thing some of the Democrats are starting to wake the **** up.But i may be to late.

oscardeuce

Our President has an acute case of RCIS. Recto-cranial insertion syndrome.
He should only read what the teleprompter tells him.
I love it when the real Barak Obamas shows up.
I don't agree with Binden on most things, but I also know where he stands, as he is never afraid to shoot that mouth off from the hip!