Do you treat your own water?

mamabritt

I was wondering what the majority of you guys do in terms of water. Do you buy RO/DI water? Do you have your own RO/DI unit? Do you use distilled water? I know what's best, but what do you personally do?

flower

I have well water, really, really BAD well water...I get RO water from Wal-Mart haul it home, heat the water for the day and then add my salt, put a power head in the 32g plastic garbage can I have for FISH ONLY and let it churn until the next day and do my water change.
On lazy days when I have extra cash, I go to the LFS and get premixed saltwater highest concentration they have(1.027), put that in my "giant bucket"... and add a little (cheaper) RO water to make it the right SG - that way I can stretch it. I let that churn for the night and do the water change next morning.
If I had city water, I would invest in a RO/DI unit, but for now...this is my life.

fau8

I use 2 RO units and purchased a 58 gallon rain barrel equiped with auto shut off valves. I add the salt when the barrel has filled and have a submersible pump in the barrel for water movement. It takes about 6 hrs to fill the barrel.

flower

Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3004167
RO/DI for me at home with Auto top off. I love not having to manually top off water now
I splashed a tiny drop of water on my new MH bulb, it burst.
Fastest spent $70.00 I ever wasted, over a drop of water. So I got an auto top off system and I love it!

salty blues

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3003942
I have well water, really, really BAD well water...I get RO water from Wal-Mart haul it home, heat the water for the day and then add my salt, put a power head in the 32g plastic garbage can I have for FISH ONLY and let it churn until the next day and do my water change.
On lazy days when I have extra cash, I go to the LFS and get premixed saltwater highest concentration they have(1.027), put that in my "giant bucket"... and add a little (cheaper) RO water to make it the right SG - that way I can stretch it. I let that churn for the night and do the water change next morning.
If I had city water, I would invest in a RO/DI unit, but for now...this is my life.
The fact that you have really bad well water and sometimes buy and haul water from the LFS are reasons you should invest in a RO/DI system asap. You are just throwing money away. A filter system will pay for itself in a short time and save you lots of hassles as well.