Doggie past away... + Cute pic

aquaknight

Our oldest Lab, Buddy, past away yesterday (Sunday night technically). He was 13. We had got him from a rescue shelter when he was 5. The shelter had originally gotten him when he was only about 1, they said. He unfortunately spent most of those 4 years in a kennel with a concrete floor. He rear legs were always not great. Up until last weekend though, he legs were ever really an issue, you just could tell he had a slight hitch. About two weeks ago, sporadically, he had issues getting up. He'd slide across the floor for a bit before he could stand. Last week he couldn't get up at all, we had to take him outside via assist from a towel. Last Thursday he stopped eating, and Saturday he stopped drinking. So we knew he time was soon. 13/14 seems to be the age for Labs. Pic of Buddy from about a month ago.

So we dropped Buddy off at the crematory early in the day. Kinda a sit around day, but decided to head to the park. These two didn't seem to notice Buddy missing (our oldest female (not pictured) however, who was with Buddy for all his 8 years with us, is quite distraught). Here is the aftermath from the park;

S

shrimpy brains

Sorry about your baby. O'm betting he had a very good life after he came to you!
Great pic. You shouldn't let your dogs play viceo games all night. It rots their brains! lol

browniebuck

sorry to hear of your loss...we lost our 16 year old shetland sheepdog last summer, he came to us when he was 9 (I wanted NOTHING to do with a dog that old, but we were newlyweds and it was hard to say no to my wife....boy am I glad that I listened to her....great dog!).
It is weird how much other dogs grow attached to their canine companions....after losing our sheltie, our shih tzu developed a case of separation anxiety and destroyed a set of blinds in the living room (ate right through the slats). He now has a new sheltie friend...I don't think I will ever be without at least 2 dogs again in my life...they bring SO much joy to our lives!

cranberry

So sorry to hear that. We lost our 14 year old Schnauzer last month to cancer. It was one of the saddest things I've ever had to go through. You're in my thoughts.

mrdc

Sorry to hear that but I bet you gave him a nice life. My Jack Russell is 15 and I have never had to deal with the death of a dog yet. Not looking forward to that day at all.
Your two couch potatos look pretty darm comfortable!

aquaknight

Thanks for the replies everyone. Even with 3 other dogs, there's still a feeling of emptiness at the house. We do have a bit of feeling of accomplishment with Buddy though. We are grateful for the time we had together and he did lead a full life, and his legs were never a problem till the very end. What alpha male with a harem of females wouldn't?
Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3252900
Sorry about your baby. O'm betting he had a very good life after he came to you!
Great pic. You shouldn't let your dogs play viceo games all night. It rots their brains! lol

They don't seem to be into Forza 3 as much as me, but like Halo

Originally Posted by browniebuck

http:///forum/post/3252901
sorry to hear of your loss...we lost our 16 year old shetland sheepdog last summer, he came to us when he was 9 (I wanted NOTHING to do with a dog that old, but we were newlyweds and it was hard to say no to my wife....boy am I glad that I listened to her....great dog!).
It is weird how much other dogs grow attached to their canine companions....after losing our sheltie, our shih tzu developed a case of separation anxiety and destroyed a set of blinds in the living room (ate right through the slats). He now has a new sheltie friend...I don't think I will ever be without at least 2 dogs again in my life...they bring SO much joy to our lives!
Yea, this is the hardest part so far, seeing pretty much Buddy's companion (Cheanna, a black lab) moping around. Our two yellows are separated by 10 years, so they aren't particularly attached.
The interaction with multiple dogs is great. How they run/play together, how Gracie begs Cheanna for a cleaning....

crypt keeper

that really sucks. I cant imagine life without my dog. I had a rottie pass away a few years back. Losing a dog is bad. Some people take it to losing a person. I will probably have that feeling in about 13 years when my female pit bull dies. Its gonna crush me bad.

flower

I think Buddy had a very happy life thanks to you. I know you will miss him, so sorry for your loss, it’s so sad to have to lose our dog friends, 13/14 years just isn't enough time, they bring us such joy.

S

saxman

i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. they mean so much to us and give us so much joy.