Doomed Newbies

crimzy

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2842600
For those of us who are truly here for some help, please take it easy on us. Just to let you know I purchased books, made phone calls and spoke to "supposed" fish experts. I did not know about this site until about 2 months ago. WHEN you are a NEW hobbyest, and you are reading one thing, and the "supposed" experts are telling you another, what are you to do...THEN you come to this forum for advice and you get chewed up and spit out.....YES, I realize there are people out there that DO NO RESEARCH
, And to tell you the truth, even I, can tell some of who they are...and yes it is frustrating that some people have no regard for life. I am not one of them. Like I said before, I took advice from people who were "Supposed" experts....and am now finding out that some of the advice was not good. I have already changed some equipment, and am in the process of changing more. Help us NEWBIES that are truly looking to make a better more natural living environment for their livestock....
Meowzer, you do have to realize that ANYONE who posts on a public forum is likely to get mixed results. You are going to have to deal with all the personalities on here... and it's even worse than in real life because the anonymity of message boards removes the inhibitions that most would have in everyday life.
I've been doing this a long time and I have done some things that many people disagree with. If you are going to share then you have to be prepared for those who will inevitably disagree with something that you are doing. I think that newbs need to have a tougher skin when they post. Usually people only get nasty when you get the old, "I don't care what everyone says because I know what I'm doing!!"
But I do think that the more experienced hobbiests need to relax with the criticism. I try not to post much where my point has already been made. Repetition doesn't do much. In the end, we all need to realize that speaking harshly will not change someone's behavior. We also need to realize that (please forgive me but)... they are just fish.
**Waiting for the assault**

Just my $.02.

wpost2

crimzy, you sir, are a genius. and to all of you who for whatever reason think i am now the spawn of satan, heed his words. the whole "im going to do what i want to do anyway!" thing does not apply, my original intention has changed dramatically from start to finish. and im not finished yet, by any means. but im not going to continue that discussion any longer because all any of you do is bash me whenever i try to continue down a path that involves a puffer or a lion in a 40 gallon. it can be done i have seen it and i have heard many say it works. and yes, as crimzy said, they are just fish.
as for sending PMs, i can't, for whatever reason......

ilovemytank

as for sending PMs, i can't, for whatever reason......
You have to be around for a certain amout of time and/or have so many postings before you earn that right. Thats when we can't use the term newbie anymore either. And " a fish is just a fish " comment is making alot of people bite there lips right now. We choose to take a fish into our lives and that fish is completely up to us to survive. It has been proven that fish do feel pain. Its a life and we should do everything possible to care for it. I'm not trying to jump on you or be rude. Its just funny how at the top of this thread I appologized for anyone I have been rude to and noted that the only time I will continue beiing rude is when a fish's life is at stake.

yummysalt

Well, this is what I see
If you don't listen, eventually you will find out the hard way. Majority of the more knowledgeable people on here knows what usually will happen if you give them a stock list.
I am a newb myself, and when I read through some of the threads, I too feel bad when someone is really laying down the almighty lighting rod to a newb.
I never expierenced anyone talking rought to me on here since all I do is listen, take in what is important, and thank the people for their time. I don't really question their answer since I am the one that is asking for help, not the other way around.
So to all us newbs, listen, be respectfull that there are people willing to help you, take in what you think is good, and thank them for their time. Follow through on their ideas, and see how it goes.
To everyone else, if newbs don't listen, go on your merry way. There are a lot of good people here, but sometimes a newb will bring the worst in them, sometimes things just not need to be said, but its too late.
Overall, we newbs just really need to listen and take the suggestion.
Wow, it seems more then my .02. Sorry if it sounds like preaching.

hammerhed7

http:///forum/post/2842796
LOL...I might have been scared to post again after that....Thankfully I have not really been bashed...I have gotten very good advice on this forum. Wish I knew about it before I made some of the purchases I have bought though.
Let me get this right, you start a thread saying we are rude,and offensive and new members get bashed for asking questions, yet you have not been bashed and you have received good advise

I am sorry but this contridiction, and mixed opinion alone deserve a swift and vicious bashing

meowzer

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2843239
Let me get this right, you start a thread saying we are rude,and offensive and new members get bashed for asking questions, yet you have not been bashed and you have received good advise

I am sorry but this contridiction, and mixed opinion alone deserve a swift and vicious bashing

Maybe you should reread the original post...I never said the words rude and offensive...and I never said I personally was "bashed" I said that sometimes the responses to questions are rough....I have had answers to some of my posts that were "rough", BUT I take no offense, I simply choose not to respond.

I was another newb that got semi "bashed" when I came on here but by the 2nd page when everyone realized I was trying to take advice thier entire demeanor changed. I guess it is just the intiation around here.

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2843522
Maybe you should reread the original post...I never said the words rude and offensive...and I never said I personally was "bashed" I said that sometimes the responses to questions are rough....I have had answers to some of my posts that were "rough", BUT I take no offense, I simply choose not to respond.
Do you take page spot in a newspaper to lament at how the mechanic told you that your broken car required fixing to be able to run again?