During the cycling process, when my ammonia eventually spikes, what is the best way to handle it?

tirtza

I start week 2 tomorrow of the cycling process. I added two damsels a couple of days ago. I'm very new at this, but from what I've been told, I will eventually have an ammonia spike during the cycling process? How do I handle this spike in ammonia and prevent my 2 fish or live rock from being harmed? I've also been adding product called 'Stability' that is supposed to provide 'good bacteria'.
My Aquarium Basics: (as of today)
Tank size - 29 gal Oceanic biocube (with an additional carbon filter pad covering the overflow tray above the bioballs in the 2nd chamber)
Type - 2 Damsel Fish with several pounds of live rock & live sand
Status - Still cycling and I'm waiting for my live rock or live sand to start growing something (hopefully purple?) or spread something to my base rock.
Water parameters- pH = 8, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 0

Salinity - 1.025

Temperature - 79

M

mxsnow145

they might sirvie *new tank syndrome* but its out of your hands

flower

Why use a fish when a chunk of raw shrimp would have done the job?
Welcome to the site....As much as I hate damsels, I would not cycle a tank with them. <<<BIG SIGH>>>
Okay, if you are going to keep them...do regular 20% water changes the moment you see a spike to try and keep the fish alive...that is called a soft cycle....it takes longer but it should prevent fish death.
Damsels are evil mean fish, don't let that tiny size fool you. They mature into devils that will bite your hand drawing blood, and they will kill every fish you try and add that is more timid then themselves (that coveres most community fish)..including each other.
The very best thing you can do is take them back to the LFS. Get a chunk of raw shrimp and remove it as soon as you see a spike in ammonia. Then allow the good bacteria to build and change the ammonia into nitrites and eventually into nitrates, do a 20% water change, wait a week..retest to make sure all is at 0 and add the first fish.
The next advice STOP ASKING THE FISH STORE PEOPLE FOR ANY ADVICE....come here and we will guide you on what to purchase and what to do next. Our only goal is to help you. The stores want to sell you stuff and most have no idea how to do things correctly.
Stick around and learn, this site is awesome.

tirtza

Thanks for the advice Flower :) I definitely did my research before starting a saltwater aquarium. I read 'Saltwater Aquariums: For Dummies', and spent countless hours on the Internet reading tons and tons of information. It's really tough when so much of the information conflicts with each other! Now that I've found this website though, this is definitely where I will come when I have questions or need advice!
You are very right about the LFS, just because they work there certainly doesn't make them experts! The LFS employee told me that Yellow Tail Blue Damsels were great fish to start with and would help with the cycle process. He also said that they are the 'least aggressive' of all of the Damsels. Have you found this to be true, or are they just as bad as the other Damsels?? I read that its better to keep them in 'odd' #'s? I just have those 2 right now and I really don't want any more Damsels? Does the # of them in the aquarium make a difference in their aggression?
I won't be able to return the two Damsels, hopefully they won't cause me as much trouble as you suggest. I'll definitely use your 'soft cycle' suggestion w/ 20% water changes. Thanks again for your help!

travelerjp98

Yellow tails are not the most aggressive, but not the least, either.. chromis are the least aggressive.. even though they aren't directly damsels, they are closely related.
Anyways, what do you want for your tank long-term? A reef or fish only? What fish do you want? It's better to ask all of these questions now, not later... even if you decide to change your mind. Look at fish online and in the stores and look and see if any strike you... try to look at something different then what everyone has... you'll be happy you did in the long-term...

tirtza

I'd definitely like a fish only aquarium for right now (maybe in a year or so I'd like to add some soft corals). I understand coral is much more difficult and is really for the more experienced person. When I finally finish the cycling phase and am ready to add fish, it makes sense to go to the LFS. However, I've heard of people ordering fish on line. When that happens, doesn't the travel etc.. stress the fish out even more? Is ordering on line more cost effective? Is it more problematic?
When the cycling is finished, I'd love to add a clown fish or two (I really love their funny personalities and their striking appearance). I've read that it's better to add them at the same time rather then separately because of their territorial tendencies. Would you agree? I've also read that they are compatible with Damsels. What do you think?
I believe that with the two Damsels and two clown fish, I'd be at my bio-load max for a 29 gallon.

travelerjp98

I'd definitely like a fish only aquarium for right now (maybe in a year or so I'd like to add some soft corals). I understand coral is much more difficult and is really for the more experienced person. Very true, I completely agree.
When I finally finish the cycling phase and am ready to add fish, it makes sense to go to the LFS. However, I've heard of people ordering fish on line. When that happens, doesn't the travel etc.. stress the fish out even more? Is ordering on line more cost effective? Is it more problematic?
The travel can stress the fish out, but not if it is properly shipped. Ordering online is just like another LFS next to you... some are trustworthy, ship livestock correctly, etc... while others are just like a bad LFS. One downside to buying online is that you can't always see your livestock before buying it... or the tanks that their in, or if they'll eat or not, etc. Sometimes it can be more cost effective, especially for equipment, but as I said earlier, it completely depends... you just need to do some comparison shopping and also read reviews prior to purchasing things!
When the cycling is finished, I'd love to add a clown fish or two (I really love their funny personalities and their striking appearance). I've read that it's better to add them at the same time rather then separately because of their territorial tendencies. Would you agree?
I agree 100%... it's even better to add 1 male to several females because there's a chance that they'll pair up...
I've also read that they are compatible with Damsels. What do you think?
In a 29 gallon, there will definitely be some bickering, but clowns and damsels are usually kept together... nothing to worry about..
I believe that with the two Damsels and two clown fish, I'd be at my bio-load max for a 29 gallon.
I think that your playing it really too safe... how about a dwarf angel or at least a goby? They'd be completley fine!

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///forum/thread/387340/during-the-cycling-process-when-my-ammonia-eventually-spikes-what-is-the-best-way-to-handle-it#post_3407772
I'd definitely like a fish only aquarium for right now (maybe in a year or so I'd like to add some soft corals). I understand coral is much more difficult and is really for the more experienced person. Very true, I completely agree.
When I finally finish the cycling phase and am ready to add fish, it makes sense to go to the LFS. However, I've heard of people ordering fish on line. When that happens, doesn't the travel etc.. stress the fish out even more? Is ordering on line more cost effective? Is it more problematic?
The travel can stress the fish out, but not if it is properly shipped. Ordering online is just like another LFS next to you... some are trustworthy, ship livestock correctly, etc... while others are just like a bad LFS. One downside to buying online is that you can't always see your livestock before buying it... or the tanks that their in, or if they'll eat or not, etc. Sometimes it can be more cost effective, especially for equipment, but as I said earlier, it completely depends... you just need to do some comparison shopping and also read reviews prior to purchasing things!
When the cycling is finished, I'd love to add a clown fish or two (I really love their funny personalities and their striking appearance). I've read that it's better to add them at the same time rather then separately because of their territorial tendencies. Would you agree?
I agree 100%... it's even better to add 1 male to several females because there's a chance that they'll pair up... With clowns you do not want to add more than 2 of the same kind because if you get them young enough they will most likely pair up. The most dominate one will be come the female then the other will become the male. In the wild there is one Large dominate Female, one larger male, then many juvenile males (if the female dies than the larger male changes sex and becomes the female, then the most dominate Juvenile male moves up the line). SO I would get 2 that are the same size or one that is slightly larger than the other, because the one that is slightly larger will become the female.
I've also read that they are compatible with Damsels. What do you think?
In a 29 gallon, there will definitely be some bickering, but clowns and damsels are usually kept together... nothing to worry about.. Remember that Damsels and clowns are basically the same family. Damsels become very mean so be careful because good luck getting them out of the tank after they are in there. Most have to tear their rock apart to get them out.
I think that your playing it really too
safe... how about a dwarf angel or at least a goby? They'd be completley fine! I would recommend going with a goby or a small blenny in this case.

travelerjp98

I agree with scott on the clownfish.. sorry I forgot to mention that! on the additions, you could add a goby or blenny as scott stated, or even a dwarf lemon peel angel... or some other dwarf angel...

teresaq

I would not do a dwarf angel in a 29 gal with 4 other fish, lol If you look at the fish here, min tank size for a dwarf is 55 gal. They are constant movers and there will most likely be fighting from over crowding. Something along the lines of a bi-color blenny would be better.
If you must do an angel, do a pygmy. they are much smaller, but even then min tank size is a 35 gal. I would see if your lfs or one in your area would take the damsels though. It would give you more room for more peaceful fish.
T

tirtza

Thanks everyone for the advice! You have no idea how happy I am to have this website as a reliable resource!! I'm going to definitely try and get those two damsels back to the LFS. Is one damsel less harmful then two?
I did some research on different Gobies and Blennies, it seems like they'd be a fantastic idea. Because I'm still in the cycling phase, I still have plenty of time to look around, and research until I find exactly what I'd like and what combo will fit with my aquarium. Because of the territorial nature of Clown fish, I feel like I should probably add them last, would you agree? Is there any benifit to purchasing a 'mated pair'?

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/387340/during-the-cycling-process-when-my-ammonia-eventually-spikes-what-is-the-best-way-to-handle-it#post_3408908
Thanks everyone for the advice! You have no idea how happy I am to have this website as a reliable resource!! I'm going to definitely try and get those two damsels back to the LFS. Is one damsel less harmful then two?
I did some research on different Gobies and Blennies, it seems like they'd be a fantastic idea. Because I'm still in the cycling phase, I still have plenty of time to look around, and research until I find exactly what I'd like and what combo will fit with my aquarium. Because of the territorial nature of Clown fish, I feel like I should probably add them last, would you agree? Is there any benifit to purchasing a 'mated pair'?
I think that it wouldn't matter because you have damsels which are territorial anyways...

tirtza

I'm going to try and give those Damsels back to the LFS. I don't really mind if they give me a refund or not. It just sounds like they are way more trouble then they're worth! Then again...'new tank syndrome' just might take care of them for me. I feel bad for them though, and it's unfortunate, I've grown to really like them. They are really pretty, and have funny little characters. Is there any chance that one Damsel is less detrimental to a peaceful aquarium then two? I REALLY wish I hadn't listened to the LFS guy when he said that they'd help 'cycle my aquarium', and that they were "peaceful Damsels"....arrrrgh!

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/387340/during-the-cycling-process-when-my-ammonia-eventually-spikes-what-is-the-best-way-to-handle-it#post_3408930
I'm going to try and give those Damsels back to the LFS. I don't really mind if they give me a refund or not. It just sounds like they are way more trouble then they're worth! Then again...'new tank syndrome' just might take care of them for me. I feel bad for them though, and it's unfortunate, I've grown to really like them. They are really pretty, and have funny little characters. Is there any chance that one Damsel is less detrimental to a peaceful aquarium then two? I REALLY wish I hadn't listened to the LFS guy when he said that they'd help 'cycle my aquarium', and that they were "peaceful Damsels"....arrrrgh!

don't worry... you did the right thing...
and one or two damsels doesn't make a difference...

tirtza

I didn't have a chance to do it today, I'm going to try and catch them tomorrow and bring them to my LFS. Wish me luck!

tirtza

excellent idea.... At least there aren't any other fish in there right now that I will freak out and stress out as I try to catch these two. I'm sure they will be much happier going back to the LFS as opposed to swimming around a tank that is cycling!
I think the ammonia level just 'spiked' today. My ammonia was at .25 ppm as opposed to 0 today. Hopefully it will move quickly to the nitrite phase of the cycle. I've been seeing a LOT of diatom growth on the live rock, along with a lot of other different types of growth on the rock (including the Button Polyps/Protopalythoa coral. I also see tiny green hairs sprouting up like grass out of the live sand. What is it?? Do you think it's all be to early for this growth to be happening? I thought that cycling took much longer then this. I really would like to keep the coral alive while my tank goes through it's cycling. Any ideas??