Enough already! No more ethnic titles!

wfd1008

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Incorrect.
Samaritans were considered "half breeds" because they had intermarried with non-Jews in Canaan.
I stand by my original point; "Racism" existed long before there was any European Colonial powers.
again, different religions, not different races.

reefer545

Ric Maniac, You're in! Then there were two. Doubled our numbers in one day. Not bad at all. Pass the word. I think the only requirements are going to be "to want in." Planethellyeah is out there everybody, and you are all just as much a part of it as I. Maybe you just dont SEE it yet. lol.
And to the above, forget the samaritans, look to the egyptians vs. the jews. Definitely a race thing.
And I wouldnt be caught telling a jew from the mid east that they are not their own race. Worse yet, tell a muslim and a jew that they are the same race. surely you will get shot.

salty blues

This is amusing. This thread I started has reached 102
posts and hasn't gotten locked. It must not be an emotion stirring subject. lol

wfd1008

religious intolerance- is either intolerance motivated by one's own religious beliefs or intolerance against another's religious beliefs or practices. it manifests both at a cultural level, but may also be a formal part of the dogma (doctrine thought to be authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted, or diverged from) of a particular religious groups. When a group specifically refuses to tolerate practices, persons, or beliefs on religious grounds.
race-belief that humans are divided into more that one race, with members of the same race believing they are superior or inferior to members of other races.
race- a recent idea created by western Europeans following exploration across the world to account for differences among people and justify colonization, conquest, enslavement, and social hierarchy among humans. The term is used to refer to groupings of people according to common origin or background and associated with perceived biological markers. Among humans there are no races except the human race. In biology, the term has limited use, usually associated with organisms or populations that are able to interbreed. Ideas about race are culturally and socially transmitted and form the basis of racism, racial classification and often complex racial identities.
racism-the use of race to establish and justify a social hierarchy and system of power that privileges, preferences or advances certain individuals or groups of people usually at the expense of others. Racism is perpetuated through both interpersonal and institutional practices
http://www.understandingrace.org/res...lossary.html#r
you can be born jewish, but deceide to convert to any other religion you please, but when your born form asian decent, you can't up and deceide that you were born of mexican decent, or if you were born of africian decent, then you can't deceide to say that well now, i'm asian. also, if you are a woman that is jewish, you can pass that on to your child. they too will be considered jewish. if your child is a male, then his children WILL NOT be considered jewish, but if your child was a girl, then her children will be considered jewish. was there religious intolerance, discrimination, or prejudice back in the day-yes. was there racism then?--i believe not.

wfd1008

Originally Posted by salty blues
This is amusing. This thread I started has reached 100 posts and hasn't gotten locked. It must not be an emotion stirring subject. lol
dude, i'm having some fun!

renogaw

Originally Posted by salty blues
This is amusing. This thread I started has reached 102
posts and hasn't gotten locked. It must not be an emotion stirring subject. lol
it is an emotional subject, but luckily people are keeping it clean in their views. wait a couple pages...

wfd1008

Originally Posted by renogaw
it is an emotional subject, but luckily people are keeping it clean in their views. wait a couple pages...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by wfd1008
again, different religions, not different races.
Being "Jewish" can refer to either religious or ethnic background. As pointed out, the Samaritans were Jewish people left behind after the Babylon and Assyrian occupations of the Holy Land. As their society had been obliterated, these surivors intermarried with local people. When the Jews returned from captivity during the Persian Empires reign, they excluded the Samaritans from their society.
They were excluded because they were seen as "half-breeds", not because they refused to convert... many still practiced the Jewish faith.

wfd1008

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Being "Jewish" can refer to either religious or ethnic background. As pointed out, the Samaritans were Jewish people left behind after the Babylon and Assyrian occupations of the Holy Land. As their society had been obliterated, these surivors intermarried with local people. When the Jews returned from captivity during the Persian Empires reign, they excluded the Samaritans from their society.
They were excluded because they were seen as "half-breeds", not because they refused to convert... many still practiced the Jewish faith.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritan
read this, i could not find anywhere that it says that the reason behind the dislike is being "half breeds", but rather the differences came from religious differences. the part about Antiochus IV Epiphanes and hellenization tells me a completely different tale of why the split b/t the two.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by wfd1008
.. the part about Antiochus IV Epiphanes and hellenization tells me a completely different tale of why the split b/t the two.
This is approximately 300 years after the Jews returned from exile... The Samaritans were never accepted back in the Jewish community. The wikipedia article leaves a large gap as to why the Samaritans were not assimilated back into Jewish society. By the time of helenization the Samaritans had developed their own religious practices (as they were not allowed to worship in the rebuilt temple). Originally, however, they were "unclean" for marrying outside of the Jewish tribes.
Google "Samaritan" and "half breed" for a host of info explaining the relationship between Jew and Samaritan.