eshopps vs. cpr aeroforce?

jsteph24

Sorry never had experience with either. I DID have an aqua C remora HOB skimmer on my old 55g and it worked great.

meowzer

Originally Posted by jsteph24
http:///forum/post/3223892
Sorry never had experience with either. I DID have an aqua C remora HOB skimmer on my old 55g and it worked great.
I keep hearing this about the Aqua C
And I chose the OctoBH100SS and Hate it
if I could do it all over...I'd get the Aqua C Remora
(I might still get it and trash the Octo)

drsteve2001

anyone heard anything about the coralife super skimmer, gut at LFS said it was great but it also the only one they carry.

meowzer

Originally Posted by drsteve2001
http:///forum/post/3223966
anyone heard anything about the coralife super skimmer, gut at LFS said it was great but it also the only one they carry.
I just looked up a few reviews on this skimmer....most seem to say it is better suited for in sump than HOB even though it is a hob unit
also there are some issues with bubbles, and once people start talking about mods...I stop reading LOL

drsteve2001

I am clueless with regards to these pumps...why does the aqua c come with a maxjet 1200...in reading the info on the cpr aeroforce i don't see a pump listed would i have to buy one to go with it?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3223978
I am clueless with regards to these pumps...why does the aqua c come with a maxjet 1200...in reading the info on the cpr aeroforce i don't see a pump listed would i have to buy one to go with it?
All protein skimmers are run by pumps...Aqua C is just listin that it uses the Maxi Jet
IDK what the cpr uses

dolphinsfan

I have used previously used the CPR Bak Pak HOB skimmer as well as The Coralife super skimmer. The Coralife was much bulkier for a HOB skimmer, but I had better results with it than the CPR. With that being said, I have been using the Aqua C Remora HOB skimmer on my 55gal FOWLR tank for close to two years. IT BLOWS the other skimmers away!!!! NO comparison. Skims a thousand times better with out nearly the maintainence and constant tweeking the other two required. Trust me, you cannot go wrong with the Aqua C Remora!!!

drsteve2001

meowzer, looing at the 75h esshopps
dolphinsfan,
With the aqua c, withch pump do you have it gives options, a 1200 max jet or a 600 rio..dont want to overpower my tank?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3225148
meowzer, looing at the 75h esshopps
dolphinsfan,
With the aqua c, withch pump do you have it gives options, a 1200 max jet or a 600 rio..dont want to overpower my tank?
That was one of my choices too...LOL
I still think I should have gotten the Aqua C, and for our size tank, I would have gone with the 1200
(I still may be getting it)

drsteve2001

I wll say that the aeroforce pump looks alot less intrusive then a maxjet hanging in my tank..wish i knew more about this one

markc212

I just bought the Eshopps PSK-100H last weekend from a LFS. Since this is my first skimmer ever, please take my comments with a grain of salt.
1. I like the fact that the pump hangs below the unit. Only 2 tubes in the DT so it looks nice and clean.
2. The HOB skimmers do NOT come with an air silencer. It's louder than I wanted it to be. I called the LFS where I bought it and they were nice enough to give me a silencer from an old in-sump unit. Now it's nice and quiet. Eshopps wouldn't even respond to my e-mail with a solution except to say that the new HOB models simply don't come with the silencer.
3. I couldn't get the bubbles in the collection cup to go up high enough to create any skimmate at all. Then my wife peeled off the protective backing on top of the collection cup to reveal some air holes on top. Doh! Suddenly the adjustment valve works like a charm and it's skimming its heart out.
4. The micro-bubbles in the tank are excessive. Still early, but I can already see improvement. I have a feeling the bubbles will be gone soon. The Eshopps website and instructions say to allow 72 hours for a break-in period. I'm thinking the reality may be closer to 1-2 weeks. Then again, maybe the period is longer for me because I barely have any bio-load in my tank.
I have no idea whether a different HOB skimmer would do a better job, run quieter, with less bubbles, but overall, I think I'm going to be happy with my unit soon. Much is left to be desired in the instructions and customer service.