Exactly where do bubble tip anemone like to perch?

ClaptonsGhost

He died. The part that was attached to my overflow got smaller and smaller. I nudged it slightly and it came right off, didn't react, big white but not gooey blob where the mouth is. He came out without a fight and is now in anemone heaven, a/k/a the toilet. So long, old friend...*sniff*...

ClaptonsGhost

Any ideas on what possibly could have gone wrong? Water is optimal, all mushrooms are thriving, the green carpet, while I'm not crazy about where he decided to take root, is doing great, all fish are healthy. I know my salinity has fluctuated a bit lately. Are they susceptible to slight changes in water chemistry, as opposed to quality? I'd like to get another one tomorrow. A rose tipped this time.

bang guy

They can handle salinity fluctuations easily so that's not it. Temperature fluctuations can stress them though.

Alkalinity stability is important as is PH.

I don't remember your lighting but I assume it's adequate.

Is it possible the foot was damaged before you got it?

ClaptonsGhost

Temp stays steady at 76*. I dose Fusion 1 and 2 for alkalinity and calcium. Lighting is 2 36" LED strips, seeing as how both anemones put themselves inside my rockwork I don't think it wasn't bright enough.

It was in the same spot for weeks and doing well. No reason why his foot would be damaged and definitely not my doing. I haven't touched him since he first went into hiding and started positioning itself.

bang guy

Do you chart your Alkalinity levels?

Do you know if the Anemone was captive propagated or wild caught? It's probably just one of those things and there's no real answer. It would be nice to find something though so you can prevent a repeat with the next Anemone.

Since the Carpet is still doing well, I think it might have been damaged before you got it and an infection slowly spread.

ClaptonsGhost

Do you chart your Alkalinity?
What am I Mr. Wizard?;)

No I don't but to extract my pound of flesh from the LFS I have them test my water almost every day (they're on my walking route so no biggie for me, heheheh...) If any levels are off I have them double check.

I think it was mentioned that it was a frag, so to speak. Maybe second time will be the charm.

Bryce E

I just got the rose tip. He's huge. He likes to wander. And he's trying to force his way into the spot where my large hairy mushroom is. I wondered what would happen if they made contact and who was going to sting who. The rose doesn't care one bit. He just does what he wants. I'm Going to have to figure something out before I add corals to this tank because this rose is crazy. Maybe when I get my new light he won't be on the move all the time. But I bought some fresh fish from the grocery store. Cut it up into small pieces and froze it. They love the stuff. Especially the rose nem. Eats huge pieces. Anyways. They're way cool but if you do get one watch out for them cause mine's a total a$$hole.

ClaptonsGhost

Yeah, my green carpet is a total douchebag. :D

Seriously I was at the LFS and they had a rose but it was 50 bucks. They had these other beautiful nems with fluorescent green tips for $35. But in the end I decided to hold off. I'd like to go at least 2-3 weeks before I put my hand in the tank again. Fish are doing great and I don't wanna stress them out.

pegasus

Yeah, my green carpet is a total douchebag. :D

Seriously I was at the LFS and they had a rose but it was 50 bucks. They had these other beautiful nems with fluorescent green tips for $35. But in the end I decided to hold off. I'd like to go at least 2-3 weeks before I put my hand in the tank again. Fish are doing great and I don't wanna stress them out.
Dude, you're lucky. My nearest LFS (60 miles round trip) never caries BTA's, and the cheapest I can find online are $49 for a green, and $69 for a rose... and that doesn't include overnight shipping! :eek: It would cost me at least double the price of what it would cost you! Grrrrrr.....

Bryce E

Yeah I paid $100 for my rose. I know I could have gotten a better price but I didn't wanna wait and he is very large.

ClaptonsGhost

I paid $30 for the other bubble tip. I didn't like the fact that they were going for $50 now, or that the much nicer looking ones with flourescent green tips were only $35. But in the end I just don't wanna stress my fish out for a while by removing the canopy and sticking my hands in the tank. My tall sponge is pissing me off the way it leans to the left, I want to go in and straighten it out, but I'll wait to do that too.

Peg, please tell me that at the very least you've got wide open spaces and a minimum of annoying neighbors to deal with. When we escaped the jungle that Fort Lauderdale had become we moved to what was a nice, semi-rural oasis which just happened to become the fastest growing town in the fastest growing county in the fastest growing state in the U.S. Now THAT's Grrrrrrr.... worthy.

pegasus

I paid $30 for the other bubble tip. I didn't like the fact that they were going for $50 now, or that the much nicer looking ones with flourescent green tips were only $35. But in the end I just don't wanna stress my fish out for a while by removing the canopy and sticking my hands in the tank. My tall sponge is pissing me off the way it leans to the left, I want to go in and straighten it out, but I'll wait to do that too.

Peg, please tell me that at the very least you've got wide open spaces and a minimum of annoying neighbors to deal with. When we escaped the jungle that Fort Lauderdale had become we moved to what was a nice, semi-rural oasis which just happened to become the fastest growing town in the fastest growing county in the fastest growing state in the U.S. Now THAT's Grrrrrrr.... worthy.
I'm sitting on 25 acres a couple of miles from the nearest town. It's technically a city now, but just barely... lol! Houses on both sides of me, but the closest is about 100 yards away. My neighbors don't bother me, and my pair of Dobermans make sure it stays that way! Actually, my dogs do tend to bark at them on occasion, just to remind them they're there. The neighbors don't bother me, and in return, I don't bother them. It's worked out pretty good for the past 20 years...

Sorry.... I don't want to sound like I'm gloating, because I'm not. I just got lucky and found a good spot at a good price. The town's actually shrinking a bit, so I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it swallowing me up. ;)

pegasus

NOW who's the lucky bastard!!!
I am. I truly am.

I left a little detail out in my previous post. I said: "The neighbors don't bother me, and in return, I don't bother them. It's worked out pretty good for the past 20 years", when I should have said: "The neighbors don't bother me, and in return, I don't accidently aim towards them when I'm target practicing. It's worked out pretty good for the past 20 years"... LOL!!!

ClaptonsGhost

That's been the lifestyle my wife and I wanted for so long. We moved to a subdivision which, compared to the zero lot insanity of S. Florida, seemed like the wide open spaces at the time. I've got 1/5 of an acre but luckily my property abuts a nature trail so there's no neighbors behind me, and the rest have been really good. No one has moved in the past 10 years, and once we get off the main road onto our street it's pretty much an oasis in a sea of ever expanding Walmarts and gas stations. Since I could never qualify for another mortgage on my own, we're pretty much stuck here so, luckily, it's not a bad situation. Still, the profit from selling this place would buy a nice home and a piece of acreage in the mountains. But if something happened to me my son (who is mentally handicapped) would be screwed with no neighbors around to help him, so I guess this is where I'll be spending the rest of my life. Freakin' anemones....

pegasus

There's a bit of irony... my (current) wife was born and spent her entire life in in Miami. In the early stage of our relationship, I was worried that she might not like it here when it came time for one of us to make a move. I knew it would be a huge change for her, leaving from the hustle and bustle of the big city, to something along the lines of Mayberry, RFD. Or should I say "rural" Mayberry, RFD? She came over and spent a week here, and I showed her around and let her meet a lot of the people. She instantly fell in love with it, and moved here a month later. She says she finally feels "at home".

I understand your situation a little better now. You have to look at it as no matter how bad it is, it could always be worse. At least you have a small refuge to get away from the rat race, which is something a lot of people outside of your community can't say. I was born and raised in Corpus Christi, TX, and moving to rural MS was quite a culture shock. I was like... what do you guys do for fun around here? Heck... what do you do... period??? But as time went by, it grew on me without even knowing it. I've been a lot of places, but I always ended up back here. Not sure why, but it just seems to fit. Freakin" anemones... lol!