Fenrir's 40G Reef Build

fenrir

Also just out of curiosity would adding a single LED strip to my current fixture give me any benefits? Or is the 2 bulb T5 fixture plenty for rics and other soft corals?

snakeblitz33

Eh, depends on the fixture. LEDs would give you some shimmer.... If you are going with 3w CREE LEDs from a quality manufacturer - then sure, you can get some added benefits from buying LEDs for your tank. I will, however, say to avoid "stunner" strips unless you are using them just for the shimmer effect.

fenrir

I'll be honest I was looking at a $60 12inch strip to add a bit more light. If my current T5 unit will do rics and softies I will be happy.
I was able to keep Duncans and Frogspawn in my 14G Biocube and they grew huge. Never had luck with Rics though...

snakeblitz33

Ric's are tempermental. Some enjoy lots of light while others not so much. two bulbs over a 40g tank is pushing it, especially because a 40g breeder is 18" wide.
To be honest, I think you should have gone with linkable T5's to start with. Then you could have saved up some money and added on to the fixture over time with your interest in different corals.
Those $60 LED strips don't actually put out enough light for corals to justify the cost of them as "reef capable." IMHO.

fenrir

I started the return process for my current fixture. I am looking at the:

AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

Do you have any other suggestions?

snakeblitz33

If you are just starting with two, I would suggest getting linkable t5s. You can add as many extra units as you would like. So, when you decide to get more corals that require more light, you just buy another link instead of a whole new fixture.

fenrir

Just ordered the above lights which can be expanded up to 6 bulbs. I think I will stick with 2 for this summer and by a second unit which would bring me to 156W which should be enough for anything but SPS correct?
Thanks for the help!

snakeblitz33

Key word is "should."
Depends on many factors. Species requirements and water quality have just as much to do with it.

fenrir

Absolutely, I understand.
I would imagine that the Aquatic Life T5 unit is going to give me better light than what I had in my Bio cube and I was able to keep Frogspawn Duncans just fine. If anything I will keep the LPS close to the top as possible until I get my second unit. This new unit also has separate reflectors for each bulb and from what I understand is important for T5's. The Zoomed that is going back today only had a single reflector.

fenrir

Week 2 Water test results.
Ammonia: 0.25 PPM
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
PH.8.5
I have allot of Diatoms and some Red Slime on my rocks an sand at this point.

fenrir

Yep, I was just a little optimistic that it was moving along quicker than I thought because of the diatoms and slime algea.
I was curious on how I should move my 3gallon lr/ls to the tank.
As of right now I have 2 shrimp and loads of hermits and snails in my tank along with an assortment of coral.
Should I wait until the tank completely cylces before adding the ls and lr from the other tank then wait a few days while my inverts live in a bucket to avoid any spikes?

snakeblitz33

Yeah, that's one way to do it.
Never put inverts or corals into uncycled tanks.
If you keep them in a bucket, use a powerhead and a heater to keep o2 in and the water the proper temp.
I would try to get the tank cycled and ghost fed for a week and recheck the parameters and then just add everything in then.
If you are concerned about ammonia spikes because of the old live sand, buy new live sand and just add a cup of the old to the new tank.
Adding some macroalgae to the tank or fuge will keep things in balance and avoid large spikes in water parameters.

fenrir

Got my new light into today and all I have to say is wow. Tank looks a heck of allot better. Not sure if it was the Coralife bulbs or the new Aquaticlife bulbs that came with this unit but it looks a heck of allot better.

fenrir

Tank has finished cycling. Added a small clean up crew and moved my 3 Gallon critters to the new tank.
Also added a pair of small Chromis as well.

fenrir

Tank is still going well. Added allot to my clean up crew and added some mushrooms and Ricordia.
Also added a Bicolor Blenny and a Flame Angel.

S

smallreef

Lookin GOOD!!! your flame looks happy and so does the shrimp hiding in the cave, lol