Finally Earn The Mated Pair Title! Eggs

chasar

i HAVE HAD MY CLOWNS GOING ON FIVE YEARS NOW AND I HAVE BEEN THINKING THEY WERE MATING. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING TANK ALL DAY TODAY AND NOTICEDSPAWNING ACTIVITIES. I JUST FLASHED A LIGHT IN TANK BEFORE BED AND THERE THEY ARE, ORANGE EGGS ON THEIR ROCK. VERY EXCITED, SO MUCH FOR GOING TO BED.

chasar

Thanks Bang. I Am Very Excited For Learning In This Next Stage Of Raising My Clownfish. These Fish Are Like My Kids. I Just Hope My Son Is Not Earning This Title When He Is 5:)

mboswell1982

woot woot awesomness man, i want a pair once u get some raised up :p LOL ill even pay for shipping LOL
but, regardless, we want pics, and you deserve a big grats for this first step on the way to raising clowns, its a great step on the road to conservation

chasar

I will personally deliver your pair when they are raised,LOL. I am sure it will take some time to be successful at raising. I will have to look into how to post pics. I am not sure if my camera is good enough to get a good pic of the eegs.

mboswell1982

thats friggin awesome man, congrats on the pair finally laying eggs, now you'll prolly have eggs like every month LOL

chasar

Well morning is here and I was able to take a look with out the fear of bothering them. I would guess there are around 30 eggs. They are still clearing the rock, so maybe more to come.?

zshain012

If you know how to put the pics on your computer than it's simple from there. When posting a reply there is a link below the type box that says,"Manage Attachments" click on that and click on browse. When you click on browse it will show your files, then you select which pic you want to put in the forum then click open. Than it will go back to the manage attachments window and click, "Upload" which is beside the browse button. If it says the image is too large you can always resize it

chasar

I just talked to a freind that owns a LFS. He said that he has a stock of live rotifiers and can give them to me by the two gallon jug full. I also went and picked up a air stone for the ten gallon. So....
I have...
EGGS
10 Gallon tank
Air stone with pump
Live rotifer stock
What else do I need?
I am not expecting to have any survivors from this first batch, I however am hopeful and want to try. I am still unsure how I will go about tranfering the eggs.? They are on the fish's rock and I do not want to move from tank. I am afraid that it will disrupt them and cause them not to bread any more. Any help is appreciated.

mboswell1982

what u may want to do is take the rock out this time around, and get like the bottom of a ceramic pot for the fish to use in the future, makes things a lot easier from what ive read, but, removing the rock, according to what ive read, shouldnt have too much of an adverse affect on the breeders, at least, from what ive read it doesnt
u just might want to put the new rock, ie the ceramic tile basically, in the same spot as their old rock

chasar

It looks like to my best count I see 17 Eggs. I know that some have gone missing, I am assuming eaten my dad and mom? I need to get a new camera, I can not get a good picture of the fish let alone one where the eggs are noticeable. I may try the ceramic pot thing. I had put a teralight glass candle holder in their area a while ago when I thought mating was a possibliity, and they still used the rock.? I was thinking of what I could use and a flimsy plastic and try to put it against the rock semi formed and stuck in the sand for stability. This may allow them to think and see rock, however have a smooth flat surface for egg laying. I suspect the next few months to be a learning experience. I have also read that on the night they hatch you can use a flashlight and the fry will swin to the light and sucktion them into the new tank. I am open to options.

mboswell1982

id send a message to bang guy, he's very knowlegable about clown breeding and raising, an has had some good success with em, an there's another guy on here, not sure who, but bang guy was tellin me about him, who's even more knowlegable about it :p

chasar

I transfered the eggs last night. I ended up completely starting over with my rearing tank. I emptied it and wiped it down and then filled it with h2o from the DT. I have the sponge filter (connected, but not on), air stone(running) and heater , along with thermometer. The salinity and temp are the same as the DT. I transfered the entire rock from the DT to the rearing. I added some Phyto to the rearign tank. I will have the lights on a timer set to the same as the DT. I will be happy and lucky with any success. There are not too many eggs. I see these posts with over 100 even 200 eggs and at best I think that I had 30. I suspect this is due to it being the first batch. Several have died already, I assume eaten by the parents. I think that I have 10 eggs to try and hatch. I can see the eyes in the eggs have been able to for a few days. None the less it is an exciting learning experience.
Wish me luck.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

chasar

I feel like tonight is the night they will hatch. Cross your fingers. I have plenty of rotifers and feel confident in giving them a stable environment. They just need to come out of the egg.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by chasar
http:///forum/post/2855143
I feel like tonight is the night they will hatch. Cross your fingers. I have plenty of rotifers and feel confident in giving them a stable environment. They just need to come out of the egg.
Cool. Good luck!. Are you culturing the rotifers or are you planning on just feeding the fry with what you have and then getting more rotifers. Are your rotifers from eddies?
You wont need that sponge filter for about 20 - 30 days. I would pull it from the tank now. It will just be in the way.
I like to use a ceramic tile for the clowns to lay eggs on. I usually use a 6x6" tile, but on some pairs, it is hard to fitr the 6x6 and I have used them as small as 2.5 x 3". Slip the tile in where the clowns are currently laying. At first they may try to move the tile,, but after you put it back a few times, they will realize that its a good spawning substrate. They tile will make it much more simple when hatching time comes.

chasar

No luck on them hatching. I do not have a camera that captures the eggs, so pics can not be added.
I did get some rotifers from eddies, and you knowing this puts you in the area? First time for them laying, not very many eggs, 30 or so is all I could see, 9-10 left waiting to hatch. I had thought that they were showing signs of mating, then I would think that it was just the fact that I have been on this site reading more and more. I was not really ready for the eggs. Read a lot on this site, had a ten gallon set up and empty from a few months ago when we moved. I had air stones and pumps and filters and ended up only having to but the sponge filter from Andy at $14. I will use this to try and gain knowledge for future spawnings. Rod, where are you from?