Finally Earn The Mated Pair Title! Eggs

rod buehle

I am up in DeKalb. I used to have a shop/store here but other things have taken too much of my time. Eddie has sold some of my banggai, and maybe some of my onyx. He also has some other stuff of mine that he sells
. The rotifers could have possibly came from my cultures because I know that I set up a good friend of his with some cultures. I have never been there, but there are a number of his customers that have made it up my way.
Dont be discouraged on the eggs. there will be plenty of opportunities and there will be more eggs as your male gets better at this. I would recommend culturing the rotifers though. You will have better success with the clowns. Rotifers are easy if you feed them commercial phytoplankton instead of trying to grow your own phyto...
Good luck

chasar

I have noticed that the eggs have more silver in them around the eyes today, hope this is a good thing. I have several bottles of rotifers that come froma woman that has set up a marine club in the area. I have some Kent Marine PhytoPlex that I will put in the tank when the rotifers are added. It will be a week tonight that the eggs were laid. I am not sure what the time frame is that they should hatch, I thought a week give or take a day or two. Time will tell.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by chasar
http:///forum/post/2856049
I have noticed that the eggs have more silver in them around the eyes today, hope this is a good thing. I have several bottles of rotifers that come froma woman that has set up a marine club in the area. I have some Kent Marine PhytoPlex that I will put in the tank when the rotifers are added. It will be a week tonight that the eggs were laid. I am not sure what the time frame is that they should hatch, I thought a week give or take a day or two. Time will tell.
That woman has delivered struff from my place to eddies

Is she selling those bottles of rotifers??? I hope not!
If you really want to raise clowns, you will need to culture your own rotifers. Its super easy.. 5 minutes a day. That woman with the bottles didnt know how to culture 6 months ago, and now she is bottling them.
If there are any live rotifers in the bottle, you can start a culture with those. I would look into better phytoplankton that sits on a warm shelve.

chasar

I just checked and most of the eggs are still there, but I do see one fry swimming around. I have put rotifers in the tank for it. It is not time to turn the tank light on so it is hard to see the eggs to get a count, and I sat and starred at the tank fort ten minutes or so and can only see one fry. Small little things, pretty hard to see. Very cool.

chasar

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/2856606
That woman has delivered struff from my place to eddies

Is she selling those bottles of rotifers??? I hope not!
If you really want to raise clowns, you will need to culture your own rotifers. Its super easy.. 5 minutes a day. That woman with the bottles didnt know how to culture 6 months ago, and now she is bottling them.
If there are any live rotifers in the bottle, you can start a culture with those. I would look into better phytoplankton that sits on a warm shelve.
The bottles are not sold, at least not to me. I am almost positive that she is just giving them away. She seems to be very nice, I have talked to her once for ten minutes or so at eddies. I do plan to join her club as it should only be beneficial. I was thinking about the raising of rotifers from one of these bottles. I want to see how wrapped up in this I will have to get. My GF does not want a room full of tanks and I figure I will need another tank for the babies when they reach the one month old mark or so.? We will see.

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2856696
The bottles are not sold, at least not to me. I am almost positive that she is just giving them away. She seems to be very nice, I have talked to her once for ten minutes or so at eddies. I do plan to join her club as it should only be beneficial. I was thinking about the raising of rotifers from one of these bottles. I want to see how wrapped up in this I will have to get. My GF does not want a room full of tanks and I figure I will need another tank for the babies when they reach the one month old mark or so.? We will see.

Cool, That is actually what I expected from her (Angela IIRC).
A small 3-5 gallon bucket and an airpump/airline is all that you will need to culture rotifers. It can be done in the corner of a closet.
I hatch my fry in a 5 gallon tank, but I only keep a gallon of water in it for the first few days.. then 2 gallons of water at 5-10 days.. 3 gallon..... . I dont move them from the 5 gal until they are about 2 months old and then its only to make room for the newer hatches.

chasar

So the fry being this small will be fine with the next batch? But when they are two months old or so the will start eating fry this small? The reason that you only keep one gallon of water? I am gonna guess that it is so that the fry have a better chance of eating the rotifer? I was just watching my new baby and thinking ... how often will a 20 oz bottle of rotifer need to be added to the ten gallon tank? I bet if it was not so many gallon rearing tank the fry would eat more.

chasar

I just noticed a second fry swimming around, so I have two. Some one please let me know how often I need to offer the live rotifers? I am giving them by the 20 oz bottle full. Is a bottle a day added to the rearing tank sufficient? The rearing tank is a 10 gallon and it is not completely full, 8 gallons of water in it. I also have a bottle of Kent Marine Phytoplankton I am adding a quarter teaspoon of this to the tank, is everyother day sufficient for this? Quick responses are definately appreciated. It looks like the rest of the eggs should hatch tonight. I also went to Home Depot and purchaced a few tiles and a flower pot. I added the flower pot to the corner of the DT tank where the pair stay and I will put a small 2x2 tile in when I transfer the LR that the eggs were on back to the DT. I also purchace a 4x4 tile, but may hold of on putting that in the DT for now. Thoughts?

mboswell1982

chas, dude, really really wanna see some pics man LOL ur slackin on us man :p good luck with the babies, i might have to get u to hook me up with a pair once u get this all down pat LOL

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2856728
So the fry being this small will be fine with the next batch? But when they are two months old or so the will start eating fry this small? The reason that you only keep one gallon of water? I am gonna guess that it is so that the fry have a better chance of eating the rotifer? I was just watching my new baby and thinking ... how often will a 20 oz bottle of rotifer need to be added to the ten gallon tank? I bet if it was not so many gallon rearing tank the fry would eat more.
you will need seperate containers for each batch, At least while they are eating different foods. but onec they are on the same foods, they can be housed together.
When I have only had a few fry, I have kept them in small tupperware/plastic containers for a week or so while trying to ween the newest batch. (100% water changes, but its only 1/2 gallon from my DT)
I have no idea how dense the 20 oz bottles are so I dont know how many bottles to add. My guess would be all of them ( you will really need to culture your own.. Its easy). I also wouldnt add all of the water in that bottle. I would straine ther rotifers and only add rotifers and not the water.
My last batch of percs is a small batch. my tomatoes should have hatched last night (ill know in an hour or so) my other 3 pair of percs are inbetween batches and will be spawing in the next few days. My skunks havent spawned in a few weeks but I think they will soon, and my nigripes have been spawning on the overflows which makes it hard to capture the eggs.

chasar

Update. All the eggs have hatched. I have a total of 5 fry in the tank. I have taken the LR that the eggs were on and transfered it back to the DT. I have two tiles, 1 2x2 and 1 4x4 that I put in the Clowns corner along with a small flower pot. The tank is back exactally the way it was when they laid the eggs, aside from the fact that they now have choices of smooth surface to lay the next batch. I did a partial water change tonight when I removed the LR. I used a cooking baster to suck water and partical from the bottom of the tank. Question... will the rotifers live in the rearing tank and reproduce? I have been adding Phyto for them to feed on. The tank looks like you can see the rotifers in it. I turned the air stone down slightly now that there are no eggs to hatch. So far all is well. I plan to use the bottled rotifers for now, 5 or so days and then baby brine.? So I am told any way. Thanks Sorry for not having pics. I am working on that. I found the camera box and may be able to post some. Camera is 3 yrs old and not the greatest so no pictures of eggs were able to be taken.

chasar

Day 3 for two of them and day 2 for three of them. Fry look good, all have silver bellies, some noticeably larger. I will do a partial water change tonight, and try and lessen the gallon amount. So far so good.

chasar

Well, It looks like I only have 4 fry this morning, one must have not made it throught the night.

rod buehle

http:///forum/post/2859091
Update. All the eggs have hatched. I have a total of 5 fry in the tank. I have taken the LR that the eggs were on and transfered it back to the DT. I have two tiles, 1 2x2 and 1 4x4 that I put in the Clowns corner along with a small flower pot. The tank is back exactally the way it was when they laid the eggs, aside from the fact that they now have choices of smooth surface to lay the next batch. I did a partial water change tonight when I removed the LR. I used a cooking baster to suck water and partical from the bottom of the tank. Question... will the rotifers live in the rearing tank and reproduce? I have been adding Phyto for them to feed on. The tank looks like you can see the rotifers in it. I turned the air stone down slightly now that there are no eggs to hatch. So far all is well. I plan to use the bottled rotifers for now, 5 or so days and then baby brine.? So I am told any way. Thanks Sorry for not having pics. I am working on that. I found the camera box and may be able to post some. Camera is 3 yrs old and not the greatest so no pictures of eggs were able to be taken.
Yes, the rotifers can/will reproduce if they are getting good phyto, and if there are enough of the rots in there to reproduce(IE: not all being eaten by the fry). I recommend a good phyto to keep the rotifers nutritional enough to support the fry. If the rotifers arent nutritional enough, you will see the fry start dropping like flies.
baby brine.. Simple to hatch. even much easier than rotifers. I start with baby brine at about 6-7 days.. I like to start with the brine just before metamorphosis. WHen meta starts, you will see the fry with a bent body and difficulties in swimming. At this point they NEED the HUFAs that the newly hatched brine contains. Once I start with the brine, I continue continue with the daily water changes, because you will need to rid the tank of all the un-eaten brine from the previous day because that brine has lost all of its HUFAs.
Less water.. Its simple to get the water level lower.. Siomply siphon out almost all of the water, and then add back only a few inches . By thge time I start with brine, my 5 gallon tanks are 1/2 - 3/4 full.
Good luck

perfectdark

This is awesome I am almost inspired to raise a fry if and when mine start spawning.
Quick question rod or anyone...
After the clownfish have become a pair how long does it usually take for them to mate? Is there a general span of time or is it just when ever they are ready? I clearly have a male and a female, and they are clearly paired, but the are not spawning...yet.

chasar

Update, I think I have lost one more leaving me with 3 fry. Good news is that all 3 have distinct silver bellies and are noticably fat. I hope that I can go with out any more casualties. I did not make it to purchace a smaller tank, but I am going to check out Walmart after this post. GF said they had a 3 gal. setup, I think would work for rearing. I am looking forward to the baby brine stage. I plan to get that started Sunday. What will be the less stressful for 100% water changes and moving babies. I think that I could probably just use a cup and catch them safely.?
Perfect dark... I am obviously no expert and very new to the breeding. My clowns were the first fish that I purchaced and I have had them, always together for 5 years. This is their first spawn. I am not completely set up to start raising fry, have no rotifer culture, but I am given live rotifers to feed. My rearing tank is made up of spare parts I had around the house. I only had to buy a sponge filter, $15 @ LFS. I will keep this post updated with my experiences and learning, and hopefully get some pictures soon.