Finally Earn The Mated Pair Title! Eggs

mboswell1982

cant wait for more man, this is one of thsoe threads im always lookin for updates on LOL and once u get this figured out, ill take a clown off of ya hands

chasar

:party

WE HAVE A NEW BATCH OF EGGS, AND MIGHT I SAY THAT I AM VERY PROUD. THERE ARE 3X MORE EGGS LAID THIS TIME. I REALLY NEED A GOOD CAMERA. THE ONE I HAVE DOES NOT THE EGGS DO NOT EVEN SHOW UP IN THE PICTURE. BAD NEWS IS THAT THEY DID NOT FOLOW MY PROMPTS AND LAY ON EITHER TILE, OR THE FLOWER POT, OR THE MAGFLOAT THAT WERE IN THEIR AREA. EGGS ARE ON THE SAME ROCK, BUT NOT IN THE SAME PLACE. I GUESS THAT IS OK THOUGH GIVEN THEY WERE NOT AFFECTED BY THE MOVING OF THE ROCK THE LAST TIME. I WAS REALLY WORRIED THAT THEY WOULD BE STRESSED FROM THEIR AREA BEING REMODELED MOMENTARILY. I RALLY NEED TO CULTURE SOME ROTIFERS.

premilove

wow that is great news congrats!! i cant wait until my picassos decided to mate! please post some pics on what you did to keep them alive or what you are planing to do? thanks!! cant wait!

chasar

thanks for the congrats. I bought a 3 gal. setup tonight that I transfered the 3 fry into. I hope I did not stress them too much. I used 4 quarts of water from my DT and 4 quarts from the 10 gal I was using as the rearing tank. I think that the samller tank will be better for the fry to eat as the rotifers will not be spread out over 10 gals. I will put the 10 gal on the bottom shelf of my stand to house the fry if and when they rach the 2 month stage. I am thinking that I am going to need more tanks in order to raise these fry in their different stages and keep up with them spawning. This is the second batch now laid 13 days after the first one. I may just need to quit my job and focuss on taking care of my fish.? LOL I guess I should perfect this before I think about that. I have not even raised one fully yet.

mboswell1982

with all the clowns imma be takin off peoples hands, an i would much rather have home grown clowns than wild caught clowns, imma be swimmin in the lil buggers

chasar

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2863806
with all the clowns imma be takin off peoples hands, an i would much rather have home grown clowns than wild caught clowns, imma be swimmin in the lil buggers

Yep, you may want to just do one of the big tanks and then build some kind of a cool stand that can house like 10 different 10 gallon tanks and have a pair of different clowns and an anemone in each tank. That would actuallt be real cool if you could make a multy tank stand with built in lighting. lots of $$$$$$$ though.

mboswell1982

LOL i figure in a 250g tank, i can have 3-4 pairs of clowns if i do it right
i hope, crap, now im gonna get flamed, i just know it
nah, we're still doin our twin 20 long build, and im still gonna do the 20g nano an so on, and im gonna do a finnex nano and the 40g breeder fowlr as well, so yeah, ill have plenty of room

chasar

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2863832
LOL i figure in a 250g tank, i can have 3-4 pairs of clowns if i do it right
i hope, crap, now im gonna get flamed, i just know it
nah, we're still doin our twin 20 long build, and im still gonna do the 20g nano an so on, and im gonna do a finnex nano and the 40g breeder fowlr as well, so yeah, ill have plenty of room

Your are gonna go from no tanks to a ton of tanks in no time.
You may want to look into just buying a fish store rather than a house it would be more set up the all your tanks
Hey just an fyi I have had atleast one SW tank for the past 5 years and I can never have enough. I look at those nano's all the time and think about it. I want a big tank like 180g or 220g. If the GF would allow it I would put some kind of something in each room. I would much rather watch my tank than a TV. I watch my DT fora while and then several times a day go check out the rearing tank and try and find all the fry. they are so small that it takes forever to find them being only 3 in a 10g. Your avatar is right man future addict. we all are.

mboswell1982

i know man, we're gonna have the 2 giant tanks in our living room, the 40g zen buddha tank in our bedroom, a 20g nano in the kitchen, the twin 20's in the living room as well, along with the finnex 30g nano in the living room, and i might even do a nano for the bathroom

woot page 2 lol

chasar

Alright page 2! Good time for bed, gotta go to work tomorrow. Some day maybe going to work will mean getting out of bed and taking care of the fish tanks. LOL I hope the fry make it through the night after the transfer. I really think it stressed them out.

mboswell1982

well, keep us updated, if you can, post an update in the morning, and maybe try an talk the gf into getting u a new camera for christmas, but get her to let u use it as soon as she gets it

chasar

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2864116
do you have food for when the baby clowns are born?
I have not yet begun a rotifer culture. I have a supply of live rotifers from several different people that drop them off at the 2 LFS in town. I am given them in 20 oz water bottles. I just picked up 8 bottles today.

chasar

I have not had a lot of time to check into the fry today. I can only see one in my 3 gal. I guess that the transfer did not go too well. The eggs are looking good in the DT, at least double the first batch. I plan to set up culturing baby brine this weekend and I am thinking hard about setting up a rotifer culture. I have to help the GF get the lights up on our xmas tree, and with a little luck I will talk her into letting me turn our spare bedroom into a clowing rearing room. I have a few thoughts on getting set up. This will be a weekend of planning, sweet talking, and football of coarse on Sunday. I will update later.

mboswell1982

lookin good man, lookin good, u got a good idea there, as long as ur gf will go along with it LOL now, if u decide to set up a separate room, and tell her its great for the environment an u can make money doin it
, but, document the build with lots of pics

rod buehle

Originally Posted by chasar
http:///forum/post/2864902
I have not had a lot of time to check into the fry today. I can only see one in my 3 gal. I guess that the transfer did not go too well. The eggs are looking good in the DT, at least double the first batch. I plan to set up culturing baby brine this weekend and I am thinking hard about setting up a rotifer culture. I have to help the GF get the lights up on our xmas tree, and with a little luck I will talk her into letting me turn our spare bedroom into a clowing rearing room. I have a few thoughts on getting set up. This will be a weekend of planning, sweet talking, and football of coarse on Sunday. I will update later.
If you have the time, you should take an hour trip up north (South of DeKalb), and get a crash coarse in clownfish raising 101. What would take me a few hours to type out could be shown to you in 20 minutes and with much better detail.
If not, I will try to get to your PM a little later, but I am busy and not quite sure when.
If you could be here at 10- 10:30, you could be home before football starts. I could even give you enough brine eggs to last you for the year. (you wont want to culture brine, but just hatch and feed them off... hatch more for the next day,, feed them off,, hatch more.. .. Its easy). I love to see people raising fish. It can only help the hobby and our oceans.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2862520
This is awesome I am almost inspired to raise a fry if and when mine start spawning.
Quick question rod or anyone...
After the clownfish have become a pair how long does it usually take for them to mate? Is there a general span of time or is it just when ever they are ready? I clearly have a male and a female, and they are clearly paired, but the are not spawning...yet.
It can vary, but I believe that diet has a lot to do with it. There are a few things that can help induce spawnings.
saturation feedings.. Means to feed the clowns 2-3 times a day and feed to the point of where they wont eat any more.
feeding live zooplankton.. Start hatching baby brine and feed it to the pair daily.. hatch and feed hatch and feed..
temp increase.. Increase the temp to a normal range of where these cllowns are collected from.. bump it up to 82-84,
Feed the highest quality food possible
.. I have picked up 4 new pairs in the last few months, and every one of them has started spawning within a month of me having them. Every pair that I have now spawns regularly, including the banggai. The food I use was developed by a banggai breeder, that was improved on when the banggai breeder was into SPS, and then the blend was perfected when he was breeding clownfish. ..
As for age of the clowns an average is 2 years, but I have heard/seen of males being ready at 6-8 months and the females at 12-16 months
I encourage anyone that is interested in raising fry to try it. Its not overly difficult.
good luck!