Finally Earn The Mated Pair Title! Eggs

lmecher

You will be more successful with each batch, keep up the good work, this is exciting and fascinating. I am both anxious and nervous to begin with mine.

chasar

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/2897349
Just wondering, those eggs look to be in deep crevice, do you remove the whole rock?
Yes, I remove the entire rock and put it in a rearing tank until all eggsa re hatched and then return it to the DT. Unfortunately my clowns have not taken to either the tile or the pot. That is the least of my worries at this point. I will work on that when i know that I can raise the fry. Until then I am focussing all of my attention on rearing. Oh, and by the way, I have had no issues with removing "their" rock for hatching and then returning it. I was very concerned that when I did this the first time that it would disrupt them to the point of not laying another batch, but obviouslly not given I am on Batch 4.

lmecher

I am trying to design my new tank with my clowns in mind. I guess that I will just have to wait and see where they choose to lay when in the new tank. It's good to see how other folks do it. I like the idea of removing the whole rock, seems so much easier then trying to siphon or scoop them out after hatching. My first batch of eggs are gone, it's killing me to see them all die but can't even begin rearing until I get my main tank replaced. I will just get a fix now and them by reading your thread lol. Thanks for replying. : )

chasar

Update. I still have ten or so fry that are about ten days old now. They are on a mixture of rotifers and baby brine shrimp. I did a water change today and syphoned the bottom of the tank of build up. One of the fry is rather large and much more fat than the rest. I am going to try and keep this batch in the 10 gal where they are and hatch the new batch in the 3 gal. I am just hoping that the LR the eggs are on will fit in the 3 gal. I will find out Tuesday when I tansfer it from the DT.

chasar

I am starting a rotifer culture today, thanks to Rod. I was able to gain a head full of knowledge and several things to help me in raising the clowns. I know that this will help in success with raising.
For the Rotifer culture, I am using a 5 gal bucket with an air pump. I used Phyto to make turn the water green and added the rotifers. I will let these go until Tuesday and then start culturing by taking 1/3 of the water out each day.
Very excited about what I have learned and will keep updating.

chasar

Transfered the eggs from batch 4 into the 3 gal. tonight. I can only count 6 fry left in the 10 gal. but I get a different number every time I count.LOL. Tomorrows count may be more?

chasar

Still have 6 fry in the 10 gal. I have not seen any fry in the 3 gal yet. They should hatch overnight tonight. Rotifer culture is going good. I cultured my first batch of rotifers last night.

chasar

Batch 4 eggs have hatched. I lost a lot between this mornings hatching and this evening. Not sure why. I still have a few fry but not as good of a batch as I had hoped for. I am hoping that I can keep the fry i have alive. I still have 6 from batch 3 that are now at least 15 days old. They are going through metamophosis. They have not changed to orange yet. I cleaned the bottom of both tanks tonight and the LR from the hatched batch is back in the DT. I put a small 2x2 tile in the crevice that they usually lay in hopes they will take to it. Tomorrow before I add the daily rotifers and brine I will do a water change on both tanks.

lmecher

My clowns laid their second batch of eggs while I was out tonight. I am thinking about trying with this batch. I need to figure out where I can get rotifers or cultures from. Thats the only thing that may keep me from trying with this laying. I think I need to either read very fast or skip a few chapters, go directly the part on culturing. I am enjoying your posts, keep it up

mboswell1982

good luck to both of you guys on ur eggs, i got a bunch of wood tonight an some sand, so im on my way to my tank, for sure
jess has even said that once we get the money for this butcher block we are selling, i can buy the canopy for the tank an the salt, so that will put me even closer to what i need, an i might even be able to talk her into letting me buy some base rock if we can get it for a really good price
which will put me that much closer to having my tank set up an cycling

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/2906420
My clowns laid their second batch of eggs while I was out tonight. I am thinking about trying with this batch. I need to figure out where I can get rotifers or cultures from. Thats the only thing that may keep me from trying with this laying. I think I need to either read very fast or skip a few chapters, go directly the part on culturing. I am enjoying your posts, keep it up

I can give you plenty for a starter culture and give you a very simple crash coarse. Or you can post on the chicagoland forum on ARE SEE and see if there is someone closer to you. I know Kmeic usually has good strong cultures going too.

chasar

As I said in earlier posts, I am learnign as I go. The biggest thing that I have learned is that you need a rotifer culture set up to raise the fry. I was fortunate enough to get started from Rod. It is very hard to get fresh good rotifers when you need them. I lost an entire batch do to not havign good rotifers. It can be set up very easily if starting with a good batch. I am going to try and get some pictures posted this weekend of what i have going on now. If they just layed last night, you have a good 6 days to get set up. I actually think that I have been taking my eggs out of the DT too early. I usually do the transfer on day 5, and think I need to give it another day, maybe two of natural protection by the father. I am not sure. I am also looking for the Clownfishes book by Joyce wilkerson, I figure that it will have sopme good useful information.

lmecher

Oh, I just reread what I wrote, I didn't mention what I am reading. I just got my copy of Clownfishes yesterday, if I could share it with you I would.
I tried every book store in the area, no one had it. I would have had to order it. I checked online and found a used copy for half the price.
Rod- I may take you up on that offer. There is no drive too far for me lol. I once drove to Indy for a couple anemones, I'm strange I know but in a good way.

chasar

Very bad news. I lost all of the eggs that hatched from batch 4. To make matters worse, I did some LR rearranging yesterday and today noticed what I assume is ICH in my DT on my Heniochus Butterflies. I am in a state of panic right now and do not know what to do. I am waiting for replies in the disease forum on this site. Very sad. I am very concerned for the well being of my clown pair.

lmecher

Oh no, I would be worried as well. I have been lucky and never had to deal with ich.
Hope you get good advice soon. So sad about your loss too.

chasar

I am waiting on an LFS owner to call and open his store anmd I am waiting on direction on what exactly I need to do, I am ready to take my pair of clowns out and sacrifice the rest of my tank to know that they are OK. I know that is sad to say, but I have had these fish for over 5 years and do not want to lose them especially now that they are breeding. Bad situation altogether.

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by chasar
http:///forum/post/2909024
I am waiting on an LFS owner to call and open his store anmd I am waiting on direction on what exactly I need to do, I am ready to take my pair of clowns out and sacrifice the rest of my tank to know that they are OK. I know that is sad to say, but I have had these fish for over 5 years and do not want to lose them especially now that they are breeding. Bad situation altogether.
Yah you might want ot get a tank set up for the clowns to go into ASAP. IF it is bad put them in there until you figure it all out.

chasar

I do not think I will hear from the LFS, they got off work an hour ago. I can either use the 10 gal for the clowns or for the Heni's that are infested?