Finally!!

ann83

Bummer. I hate to suggest treating with antibiotics so soon, but if he's still like this tomorrow morning, I'd suggest antibiotics and live foods.
Like Teresa said, get that temperature down to 68* for him, to help slow any bacterial infection. I would leave him be for the night to see if settling in helps him overcome the shipping/relocation stress, but if he isn't any better in the morning, I'd seriously consider treating with antibiotics. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Furan-2, Neomycin, Triple Sulfa? My suggestion would be to gutload Furan-2 into adult brine shrimp to feed to him, if you can get him to eat the adult brine shrimp.
Live mysis also might help tempt him to eat. Make sure he has hitches that he can settle into. I'd also try covering the sides of the aquarium (at least 3 sides), to help reduce stress.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3226855
Bummer. I hate to suggest treating with antibiotics so soon, but if he's still like this tomorrow morning, I'd suggest antibiotics and live foods.
Like Teresa said, get that temperature down to 68* for him, to help slow any bacterial infection. I would leave him be for the night to see if settling in helps him overcome the shipping/relocation stress, but if he isn't any better in the morning, I'd seriously consider treating with antibiotics. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Furan-2, Neomycin, Triple Sulfa? My suggestion would be to gutload Furan-2 into adult brine shrimp to feed to him, if you can get him to eat the adult brine shrimp.
Live mysis also might help tempt him to eat. Make sure he has hitches that he can settle into. I'd also try covering the sides of the aquarium (at least 3 sides), to help reduce stress.
Wow! That was fast.
I don't have the Furan-2 on hand, but can definitely get it and the adult brine tomorrow. (If she'll eat it, hasn't eaten yet) I was thinking about trying some brine anyway.
Should I seperate from the others?? They really seem to be supportive, but I don't want to risk the rest getting sick.
I know nothing till tomorrow, and we shall see.
The fan has already dropped the temp to 69. Unfortunately, my chiller quit working, but if it doesn't come down to 68 in the next hour, I will lower my thermostat.
I know this is off the subject, but I can never remember. Round belly? Female? Cut in belly? Male? or the other way around??
Thanks!!

ann83

Oh, and, I should have said, but keep in touch with Beth, and if she has a different preference on your course of action, she does know these particular horses better than you or I do, so I'd be inclined to follow her advice. If not only because, she'd be the one replacing him if he doesn't make it.
Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3226792
PM ANN. She is a disease expert.
T
You guys have to stop saying stuff like that. I'm going to get too big for my britches, and no one wants to see a crazy seahorse girl running around without pants.

ann83

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3226865
I know this is off the subject, but I can never remember. Round belly? Female? Cut in belly? Male? or the other way around??
What a tactful way of calling me on my error ;)

I have a bad, bad habit of calling all of my saltwater fish "he", even the ones that I'm 100% sure are female.
Yes, you have a sick female seahorse, not a sick male seahorse.
Oh, and don't separate her just yet. She might be okay if she overcomes the stress of shipping, etc. So, I am really hesitant to recommend removing her from her current tank just yet. At least wait until morning, after you've gotten any supplies you need and spoken to Beth.

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3226866
Oh, and, I should have said, but keep in touch with Beth, and if she has a different preference on your course of action, she does know these particular horses better than you or I do, so I'd be inclined to follow her advice. If not only because, she'd be the one replacing him if he doesn't make it.
You guys have to stop saying stuff like that. I'm going to get too big for my britches, and no one wants to see a crazy seahorse girl running around without pants.
Yes, I will def. be calling Beth in the morning! She has been most kind and helpful. It's late and I don't want to call her now. Just trying to do all I can to help the little guy/gal make it!
These are my first horses. Didn't want to get this much experience this quickly!!

ann83

Yeah, sucks. Seahorses seem to know just the wrong time to get sick.
I may have missed it, but did you say whether or not she arrived this way (not hitching, laying on the bottom, etc.) ?

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3226868
What a tactful way of calling me on my error ;)

I have a bad, bad habit of calling all of my saltwater fish "he", even the ones that I'm 100% sure are female.
Yes, you have a sick female seahorse, not a sick male seahorse.
Oh, and don't separate her just yet. She might be okay if she overcomes the stress of shipping, etc. So, I am really hesitant to recommend removing her from her current tank just yet. At least wait until morning, after you've gotten any supplies you need and spoken to Beth.
Don't give me that much credit. I honestly wasn't sure and am def. not that tactful!!
Will do nothing tonite, lights are off and I already stressed her out earlier by trying to hold her to take pics. Just dropping temp and pray for a full recovery by morning!!

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3226875
Yeah, sucks. Seahorses seem to know just the wrong time to get sick.
I may have missed it, but did you say whether or not she arrived this way (not hitching, laying on the bottom, etc.) ?
Yes, seemed to be a problem from the get go. Didn't notice it while they were in the bag, but did once they were in the tank. I acclimated, put them in the tank. Watched them for a bit. All seemed to take a little bit to get oriented, but figured this was somewhat natural. After a couple of hours, I turned on the light(which is not very strong) and added a little frozen mysis. All but this one were active, hitching and hunting.
I thought it was just taking a little longer to adjust. Had to take my dog to the vet as he was sick. When I got back, this seahorse was laying on the bottom of the tank.
I called Beth. She said to add an airstone (which I did) and it seemed to have helped some.
Today, she was up and moving around. I was encouraged by this, but have been concerned by her not eating or hitching.
I was taking more pics when I realized that she never curls her tail.
I think that brings you up to date!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Jaodissa
http:///forum/post/3226637
I was wondering about the QT also because it looked like you had sand in your DT and the pictures of the ponies had no sand! It was good to DT them just in case it was something more serious than stress!
Thanks for all the support!
Still think you want the big seahorse tank?? lol

teresaq

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3226887
Thanks for all the support!
Still think you want the big seahorse tank?? lol
Way to scare people off seahorses
This isnt the norm. Sometimes things happen.
It always amazes me how we treat seahorses differant that fish, even though they are fish. There have beem many an order of fish, from swf and other places that have not lived thru shipping and yet people get mad and say oh well send me some more, we get a seahorse that dosent make the trip or dies once we get them and we are heart broken (me included). I had a dragon gobie go skinny and die last week, I didnt get to upset, stuff happens, but when I loose a horse, it just kills me and I cry for days. Hang in there. hopefully Beth will come thru for ya.
T

teresaq

Oh and Ann, I will always send people to you or Dan
if thier horses are sick. I just dont have enough experiance yet, but getting there.
T

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3226939
Way to scare people off seahorses
This isnt the norm. Sometimes things happen.
It always amazes me how we treat seahorses differant that fish, even though they are fish. There have beem many an order of fish, from swf and other places that have not lived thru shipping and yet people get mad and say oh well send me some more, we get a seahorse that dosent make the trip or dies once we get them and we are heart broken (me included). I had a dragon gobie go skinny and die last week, I didnt get to upset, stuff happens, but when I loose a horse, it just kills me and I cry for days. Hang in there. hopefully Beth will come thru for ya.
T
lol Sorry, T. Just trying to keep my humour up!
You are right though, I would not be this upset about any other fish. Something about these guys makes them go straight to your heart.
I'm sure the combination of my dog being sick, has added some emotional stress to the situation.

jaodissa

I think once your hooked on these guys nothing will discourage you. You'll do your best for them and hang on till the very end. I think when you start to specialize in something specific like seahorses your heart gets a little more attached. (As it should) Weather this little guy makes it or not you've tried your best got the help from others and have taught others (myself included what might happen) So now when I get to big ponies I know what to look for, do, and who to come to!
Im still crossing my fingers your little one is okay! And just know we are all emotionally invested in this little guy pulling through~

S

shrimpy brains

Amen, sister!
I am not at all discouraged in my desire to keep these guys. I do hope he pulls thru and whether that happens or not, this will be a good learning experience.
And if it helps others learn and maybe can help advance our knowledge in keeping these little gems, all the better!

S

shrimpy brains

Alright, so here is the recommended treatment from Beth and the one in which I will follow.
Unfortunately, I am waiting for a fed ex package and can't leave right now to go to store, but as soon as I can, I will be off.
I will purchase or obtain from fellow reefer the following:
Adult Brine Shrimp
Quick Cure=a combination of Melachite blue and Formulin
Furan
(if they are mispelled, bare with me)
The adult brine shrimp will be enriched with vitamins and garlic
(add to water containing shrimp for about 30 minutes)
While they are soaking, I will mix 3ml of quick cure into 1 gallon of SW
(match salinity and temp) put this mixture into sterile container with airstone and a hitch. Add sick seahorse and leave for exactly 5 minutes. Then return horse to QT.
Next, I will add 1 packet of Furan (premixed) directly to QT. This will continue treatment for the sick horse and (hopefully) act as a preventative for the others.
Then I will introduce the enriched brine shrimp in the hopes that our little girl will eat.
Oops, just saw a note to do bath after feeding, so I will try the enriched brine first!! Then proceed with the above treatment!

teresaq

be sure your formalin doesnt have any sediment in the botton of the bottle. My container is clear so you can see the bottom.
Pm me if you need some better enrichments, I have some I could share.
T

S

shrimpy brains

So the treatment begins!! I finaly got my fed-ex package and was freed up to go to the store.
Got the live brine, meds, vitamins and garlic. (yes I had the last 2 but wanted a better quality) Maybe I got it?

Mixed 1 g freshly mixed SW vitamins, garlic, and algaemax(brine enrichment) in a 5 g bucket. Added an airline and the brine. left for 30 minutes, then scooped out some brine in a brine net. Rinsed well under ro water and added to QT. The horses went nuts and even the sick one finally ate!!

I added more brine till I thought they had all eaten well.
Also, when I returned from store, I noticed she was hitched(somewhat) Notice the tail on the bottom of hitch in pic #2
That is her feeding in pic #3.
I was very pleased with this, but she shortly got exhausted and returned to laying on tank bottom.

teresaq

good. I would feed her often and maybe try adding some mysis into the mix for more nutrition.
You dont need to mix up that much water to gut load your brine. I use a cut off water jug, since its no good after the 30 min soak. you want it consintrated so the brine will eat it.
T

S

shrimpy brains

Step #2:
Now that she has eaten, hopefully it gives her a little strength for treatment.
Quick cure=mixture of melachite blue and formulin
Pulled 1g of water from Qt (no worries about matching parameters) into a 1g tank
Added 3ml of quick cure
This was done with a syringe for accurate measurement. The quick cure bottle has a top that is designed for drops. I cut this off enough to insert the tip of syringe, turned upside down and extracted 3ml into syringe.
Note** It leaked somewhat, I would advise the use of gloves as the following pics were taken after I washed my hands.

Added airstone and hitch to medicine tank and added horse for exactly 5 minutes (to the second)Then returned her to QT

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3227393
good. I would feed her often and maybe try adding some mysis into the mix for more nutrition.
You dont need to mix up that much water to gut load your brine. I use a cut off water jug, since its no good after the 30 min soak. you want it consintrated so the brine will eat it.
T
Yea, I figured it wasn't the right way to do it, but I got a lot of brine and am hoping they will last a few days. Maybe for future feedings I will mix up a small amount and only soak what I plan to feed at that time. Sound right?