First fish allready dying

browniebuck

I have covered all of my powerhead intakes with a blue filter media sponge type thing (I got a big sheet with some LS that I bought off of an auction site). I cut a piece that is long enough to cover the entire intake and cut a slit in the sponge and force the powerhead intake into the slit...don't cut it too big because it will fall right off. I had a mandarin get stuck, so I know how you feel.
You may have gotten to him soon enough and he may recover. Cover the intake and see if that helps, my clowns (after covering the intake) have "hosted" the powerhead...never straying too far from it and defending it against their tankmates (it is actually very funny to watch!)

jaodissa

I'm not sure what kind of power head. I will go look I think theres a tag on it. He is still alive today all though I don't know how alive. He is swimming but hes just trying to readjust himself. He keeps floating vertically. Water parameters this am were Ph 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20-30 (little darker than the orange but not yet reddish)

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. I recently bought a banggai cardinal and acclimated him into my QT for 3 hours. For the first week he was fine. He ate like a champ. The 2nd week he began to become sluggish and I couldn't figure out why. I still cant. He eventually died and I still have no idea why. Physically there were no signs anything was wrong. Parameters were good too. So honestly, dont beat yourself too hard if your fish dies for no reason. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

He is not your cycler, lol if the tank already cycled then ur just adding him in as ur first pet. He would be stressed from the move and the powerhead didnt help. Clowns are notorious for withstanding a lot .... the parameters will be fine he is just stressed... lights off.. get him a hiding spot... PVC pipe if no rock... dont turn the lights on no hands in the tank for a few days.. he will be fine.. just stop water changes and everything let it run, let him relax...
Okay.. o and pwerhead off .. ididnt read the whole thread, but you will be fine just let him relax

Nitrates a little high but he will be fine just lights out flow off let him relax and get comfortable, im telling you thats all it is..

He wont die
you have not starved him offer him food 3 times per day if you can
he doesnt have any posioning
i promise he is just stressed...
turn all lights and leave the tank alone for 3 days...

fretfreak13

Following along. Also, don't let people tell you that you're not supposed to cry over a "stupid fish". That is the LEAST true thing ever. My fish are like my babies, helpless and depend entirely on me and what I do to their tank for their survival. If they die, I blame myself, though I know I shouldn't always do this (especially with new fish). I lost my first pair of clowns the second day i had them and was crushed. The one got stuck in my acropora skeleton and couldn't get out and suffocated. The other just died, though I stayed up until two thirty AM on a school night holding it upright when it was floating a little funny and having trouble swimming. If anyone ridicules you for the love you have for your fish, this is the place to rant about it.
Also, I think your little guy will be fine. Like Marchingband said, he's just freaked out a little. My second pair of clowns decided it would be fun to host the powerhead (instead of an anemone) and got stuck at first. I had to get them off, but now they think it's their house. Silly fish. =P

jaodissa

This poor fish I really do not understand how he is living...
Yesterday a fire broke out near our home. (California for you)
http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/news/st...p?id=123170553
We were out of power for 6 hours and then evacuated our home. We came home last night and the fish was still alive. This a.m. I checked the water parameters and they were bad. Im assuming no skimmer,filter, water movement contributed to this.
Ammonia almost .25
Nitrite almost .25
Nitrate almost 40
(I say almost because the colors weren't really dark enough to be in the next category on the chart but weren't the color for 0 either.)
He is swimming breathing hard. I did a 10% water change checked the parameters again. Slightly better so thats a plus.
I am on my way to go feed him. I have left all the lights off he has been hiding in the rock work but at least he is responsive and trying to survive.
We have power now. I went and bought some air stones just in case (fire is still going) And the best I can do is keep my fingers crossed for him.
Thanks for your thoughts guys!

jaodissa

K I just feed him. Again he ate great. Swam out from his hiding spot to devour his food. If this fish can do anything it's eat. I think he is getting ICK now though. He has 5-6 pencil tip white spots on him that he did not have before. I got a picture but you can only see 2 of them. It's uploading to photobucket. This is only going to increase the speed of his death? Is there anything else I can do for him? Should I give up and take him back to the store. Will he have any better of a chance there?

flower

Originally Posted by Jaodissa
http:///forum/post/3147507
K I just feed him. Again he ate great. Swam out from his hiding spot to devour his food. If this fish can do anything it's eat. I think he is getting ICK now though. He has 5-6 pencil tip white spots on him that he did not have before. I got a picture but you can only see 2 of them. It's uploading to photobucket. This is only going to increase the speed of his death? Is there anything else I can do for him? Should I give up and take him back to the store. Will he have any better of a chance there?

Stress weakened him, so ich got a foot hold....read up on hypo on this site...good luck.

jaodissa

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3147518

Stress weakened him, so ich got a foot hold....read up on hypo on this site...good luck.
I was thinking about doing this too but don't you think it will just stress him out more? And If he's allready having a hard time due to stress shouldn't I avoid it. Maybe give him 24 hours after this water change I did today and do another one only adding RO water?

flower

http:///forum/post/3147524
I was thinking about doing this too but don't you think it will just stress him out more? And If he's allready having a hard time due to stress shouldn't I avoid it. Maybe give him 24 hours after this water change I did today and do another one only adding RO water?

No don't wait. The ich will kill him faster in a weakened state. Just do hypo very, very slow...there are threads to guide you. Don't try it until you read up on it, there is more to it than just adding RO water.

rlablan

Well, he is stressed and stress will bring out other things in fish like lymphosytis (sp?) or even ich.
I wouldn't be in the tank to much, and observe from afar, rather than in the fishes space. Give him some time to de stress and see what he does then.
good luck

jaodissa

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3147526

No don't wait. The ich will kill him faster in a weakened state. Just do hypo very, very slow...there are threads to guide you. Don't try it until you read up on it, there is more to it than just adding RO water.
KK I found the directions on this website. No matter what, it is going to have to wait until tomorrow. The LFS is closed and I can't trust the swing arm hydrometer with this job. Also it says can not be done with Live Rock in the tank. Do I have to remove it? I can move the fish into a QT tank but the parasite will still be alive in the DT so why not kill it all at once?

fretfreak13

The pair of clowns that I had when the first one died in the acropora, the other died from lymphosystis. I don't know how to treat it, but it looks exactly like ich to me. The white spots and all. Even if your fish does manage to die, hope he has this and not ich because lymp wont stay in your tank like ich will after he/she's gone.
Good luck. I'm worried for you. =

flower

http:///forum/post/3147585
KK I found the directions on this website. No matter what, it is going to have to wait until tomorrow. The LFS is closed and I can't trust the swing arm hydrometer with this job. Also it says can not be done with Live Rock in the tank. Do I have to remove it? I can move the fish into a QT tank but the parasite will still be alive in the DT so why not kill it all at once?

Before you start
...PM Beth and ask about the stress thing, rlablan makes a good point. More stress could cause problems.
As for the rocks...if no fish is in the tank for 6 weeks the ich will die without a host...but you would have to keep your fish in the QT for that amount of time.
In the future, since you have a QT... put your new fish there first. It is always easier to medicate a QT than the main tank. On the plus side...you don't have allot of fish, so things are much easier to fix this time.
Anyway, please don't fret too much...this is a live a learn kind of thing...we all go through it. We are here for you. Keep us posted.