(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

driedbrain

I would like to know what your wife thinks about this? Is she ok with all this money being spent with no currency profit on the tank (unless you make the t.v show "pimp my fish tank")? I have a hard enough time convincing my g/f I need to spend $50 bucks on my fish. This is more of a retorical question, Im just saying it must be nice. Also where are you going to park your car now...lol? How long have you been into the aquarium hoby? I see this is your first reef tank, but what other experience do you have? So many questions, because I'm compelty in awe of your project, as most people are it seems, you don't have to answer any of them. These are just questions that I think to myself. I am new to this hoby and don't know half of what you are doing, so I can't understand the full capacity of this project, but it's already given me some great ideas and knowledge that I was unaware of. Thankyou for sharing this project with all of us!

cbui2

Originally Posted by larryndana
....tilted my head and almost become dehydrated....cause i was drooling everywhere....
thanks, my friends does the same when they come by for a visit. my entire family thinks i'm crazy, and i tell them who isn't.

cbui2

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
I love the idea of 4 underwater cameras. That would be a sweet screen saver to have live video of your DT on your computer.
Good luck with the rest of your project.
yeah i thought it will be really cool, since i am always on the computer at work. not only that i can check up on my wife and kids

cbui2

Originally Posted by theappe3
wow. Ive never seen a chiller that big before!!
thanks, i have either this is my first. i have the same brand on the entire house.

cbui2

Originally Posted by bpaul1201
wow i think your going to give goodwin and justforfun a run for there money!!!
that is one huge chiller hope i never have to have one that big!!
nice work on the pad, but did you vibrate the concrete to make sure all the air was out of the mix? i like your idea of all the camera's thats going to be awesome!!! i guess if your going to do it, pull out all the stops and go for broke! i dont see one thing that was not thought out or skipped over! i wish i had your money and patenice, not the mention brains!!
goodluck were all watching!

thanks, but i am not in competition with anyone except for myself to see how far a can take it. i did mix it pretty well, but with 6-7" of concrete i dont believed it will be moving anything soon and max weight will be est. at 1500lbs total. i love the camera ideas since i needed to moniter the entire setup all day and if something do go wrong i can be on the phone with my wife to explain everything, not only that i will labeled it all to make it easier for maintenece just in case i will be going away for few days. i knew how much everything was gonna cost me before i took on the project. thanks again

cbui2

Originally Posted by slowburn22
Ha, you gotta be loving life when you can afford central air for your fishtank.

cbui2

Originally Posted by driedbrain
I would like to know what your wife thinks about this? Is she ok with all this money being spent with no currency profit on the tank (unless you make the t.v show "pimp my fish tank")? I have a hard enough time convincing my g/f I need to spend $50 bucks on my fish. This is more of a retorical question, Im just saying it must be nice. Also where are you going to park your car now...lol? How long have you been into the aquarium hoby? I see this is your first reef tank, but what other experience do you have? So many questions, because I'm compelty in awe of your project, as most people are it seems, you don't have to answer any of them. These are just questions that I think to myself. I am new to this hoby and don't know half of what you are doing, so I can't understand the full capacity of this project, but it's already given me some great ideas and knowledge that I was unaware of. Thankyou for sharing this project with all of us!

thanks, but my wife is very supportive of anything i do also the best sugar mama around and nothing to hide after 13 yrs with 4 boys. my wife and kids ask me all the time how much longer before we can buy some fish, i told them after this weekend
. yes i admit it is nice, but i also work hard for the past 15 yrs. to get where i am at. i still have room to park one car, but not likely to do that with all the fumes when i pull into the fish room. i think my fish is more important to me now then my car
. well never own one before not even a freshwater tank, no experience just the beginning of the year like stated from the beginning of thread. my friend also started in jan too but he has 72 bow front. i dont mind answering any questions from anyone here, i didnt know anything in january myself but countless hours reading and researching brought me this far . the entire process is not really that hard as someone once explain to me. water overflows to sump, then treat it and return it back to display tank. you just have to learn what all the products and equipments do, so i was on the internet all day learing in what fuge do, skimmer, all the reactor and etc. reading all the owner manuals and keep on researching for more ways to better the system. thanks again and hope this helps

cbui2

remind me of steve weast and his 850 gallon reef
Originally Posted by bullitr
doesn't it?
his system plus LFS 800gal display sold me. i visit the LFS new year eve and i was hook from there on. someone once told me i didnt know what i was getting myself into, which also encourage me even more.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by cbui2
remind me of steve weast and his 850 gallon reef
his system plus LFS 800gal display sold me. i visit the LFS new year eve and i was hook from there on. someone once told me i didnt know what i was getting myself into, which also encourage me even more.
You sound like me. I went into my lfs looking at tanks. I was going to upgrade my freshwater tank. I knew it was a saltwater fish store but I was only going in there to look at the tanks. Someone forgot to tell my brain I was supposed to look at the "empty" tanks, not the 300 gallon reef tank they had set up.
Then someone had the nerve to tell me saltwater was a lot harder than freshwater. MISTAKE!!!! I started in January and I now have a 125 gallon reef tank in my house, my FIRST saltwater tank. Call me crazy, but I think it's easier than my 12 gallon freshwater tank.

kjohansen

Have you got the chiller hooked up yet? Isn't it this Friday 6/8 that you go get your LR?
Have you done any water tests, running the system to see how it is doing?
Great stuff so far!!

sk8shorty01

Man, I was happy when I got my tank 2 weeks ago (55 gallon). I was stoked that I finally had a SW tank and man it was huge at 55g haha. A lot bigger than my 5 gallon FW. I wish I had money and time so I could build something this big and have as much fun with it as this lucky soul is!!! Keep it up man, I cant wait to see it with the rock in there. BTW are you getting cured or uncured rock? What is the cycle time on a tank this size?

threed240

Originally Posted by azfishgal
You sound like me. I went into my lfs looking at tanks. I was going to upgrade my freshwater tank. I knew it was a saltwater fish store but I was only going in there to look at the tanks. Someone forgot to tell my brain I was supposed to look at the "empty" tanks, not the 300 gallon reef tank they had set up.
Then someone had the nerve to tell me saltwater was a lot harder than freshwater. MISTAKE!!!! I started in January and I now have a 125 gallon reef tank in my house, my FIRST saltwater tank. Call me crazy, but I think it's easier than my 12 gallon freshwater tank.

In most cases Bigger is easier. I went from a 10g to a 55g with a 30g sump, and it is alot easier than the 10g.