(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

msez2u

Ohhhh Holy Moly man...This is about as awesome as they come. My husband is drooling. We thought our 25 gallon was the bomb
.I cant wait until its up and running with all the cool little critters and fish.....keep up the great work and keep those pictures comming

cbui2

Originally Posted by Glibgoat
When I grow up, I want to be you.
I know everyone else is thinking this question, HOW MUCH DID THIS COST?
cost a good bit, i dont really like to reveled how much i spend but after the purchased of the display tank i stop counting from there on
. you can always look up all the items i bought and see how much it came up too, hehe. yo can only lived once might as well do it all

cbui2

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
this is an amazing project. I always wanted a bigASS fishtank in my house. This is a great display! How did you figure all of this out? Is someone helping you plan this out? I wouldnt even know where to start! Bravo! looks awesome! you did a really really really nice job.

thanks, and yes this is big display tank. i figure this out all on my owed with the help of reading and of course asking around and getting quick answer from the forum like --, wetwebmedia and reefkeeping. i didnt know where to start myself few months ago but all i did was took everyones great ideas and incorporated with mine and came up with all this just 3months works so far invested. all of the wookworking came from the experience from my job as custom builder and fiberglass work in car audio and video. similar to pimp my ride

cbui2

ok thanks again for all those who gave the best remarks w/advice and those who didn't its still cool with me. its not in my nature for me to speak to anyone in such manner, but my parents always taught me the best to treat everyone with respect even though they dont do the same. the main reason why i got into this hobby because it was a challenge to me since my life work for past 10yrs. customizing 91 nissan 300zx t/t (600hp) with all the options was taking away from me b/c hurricane katrina. also i thought in the hobby was full of knowledgeable peoples who are willing to give or state opinions not getting insulted and bashed to the ground just because of any setup no matter how big or small wether its 10gal to 1500gal or so.
before anything was ordered, i have taking numerous steps and calculating all the amount and time i needed to finished the project. also everything was plan from the beginning of all the steps needed to take place in order for things to go smooth with minor complications but i soon found out that working fast in the beginning made some mistakes and decided to slow down just a bit. i dont have anyone to turn to for advice but internet forum like these have tend to help out alot. LFS down here are pretty cool and some advice are taking from time to time, forum ad etc. i relay on forums like this to get any info or details work of mine that have any mistake or flaws and advice giving to me to fix the problem(s) before it get out of hand. all homework has been done to create this setup and additional features to make it more automated since my business doesnt allowed me to get off at a certain time. just b/c i spent x-$ doesnt means i will be able to pay someone to take care of my system, my theory is that if you dont learn the process yourself and something does goes wrong you cant rely on the guys who do maintenence come repair the problems or if he is even available at the time to come right away. i have also taking a lot of my time reading thoughtout the night for past 6 months learing the whole process along with all the equipment needed to build this system including biological and mechanical filtrations. hoe this helps and i will glady answers everyone's reply, thank you all again and i will continue to share my build.

crt81

Alright another Louisiana reefer!
I'm from New Orleans also. I always read threads from people that are not from Louisiana and wish I could know what places they go to get their stuff from!
I thought I remembered you thread on another webpage- you know the one, "something state" reef club :)
Well welcome!!!!
I cannot wait to see the progress of the tank, and what you plan to put in it!

cbui2

ok here are some more updates, since it has been raining i guess indoor working for me. hopefully weather will be good next few days so i can start on my chiller and getting area prep and concrete can be poured. today got a chance to build the stands for QT tank (135gal middle) and continuous water change sump (90gal below) and top shelf is for storage. QT tank will be equipped with 2 hang-on refugium w/protein skimmer. Aqua Medic 4 dosing pump will be in charge of auto top-off and continuous water changes. with 2 hang-on filters heavy feeding will be performed to get all the babies in tip top shape. also continuous water change will make it so much easier thus less work for me getting my hands dirty and all left to do is turn ball valve when water change sump gets low. i feel that introducing small amount of water into the system will make all fishes happy and they might not even noticed the change.

crt81

Originally Posted by mushroomss
yea must be nice to be so rich you can go buy anything you want.And totally skip
the progression and learning with a big full size tank is the stupidest move you could make.Rich people make me laugh

This is an very offensive remark and people need to remember to keep their comments to themselves!

I'm sure the living atmosphere is great in California, try living in New Orleans- say a few months to even present time now after hurricane Katrina- I'd rather be in California on the beach and be shopping, but we all cannot get our way, can we!!!!!!
I think it's great if you have the means to get such a large tank, to go for it!
I know if I did I would!
Keep us updated on the progress!!! :)

cbui2

Originally Posted by crt81
Alright another Louisiana reefer!
I'm from New Orleans also. I always read threads from people that are not from Louisiana and wish I could know what places they go to get their stuff from!
I thought I remembered you thread on another webpage- you know the one, "something state" reef club :)
Well welcome!!!!
I cannot wait to see the progress of the tank, and what you plan to put in it!
http://lareefclub.com/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0
here's the link right above for lareefclub.com
most of my items were ordered since time is a factor for me making trips to LFS while i can do it on the internet and have them delivered right to my door step. dominated sps is what i am shooting for, light lps and alot of fish (rare one's of course) oh dont forget clams under 400w 20k HQI Radium

crt81

Well I'll soon be upgrading to a 65 gallon reef (I currently have a 12 gal aquapod that's a reef). I realized I need more room to add my corals, so I think a 65 will make me happy!
One of the stores I like to shop at, and really the only store I shop at is the one in kenner off of Williams. I find all of their corals and fish to be very healthy and there is always many choices to choose from. That's were I'm going to order the tank from!

cbui2

This is an very offensive remark and people need to remember to keep their comments to themselves!
I'm sure the living atmosphere is great in California, try living in New Orleans- say a few months to even present time now after hurricane Katrina- I'd rather be in California on the beach and be shopping, but we all cannot get our way, can we!!!!!!
I think it's great if you have the means to get such a large tank, to go for it!
I know if I did I would!
Keep us updated on the progress!!! :)
thanks, maybe some tend to say things they dont mean but a simple sorry will do just fine for me. i am not mad at him but everyone's has their remarks. yeah katrina took alot of things from me but i am rebuilding bigger and better shop. the reason why this tank was done is b/c i simply didnt want to tear my wall down just for 200-300gal setup and end up having to upgrade down the line. placing the tank in the foyer was not the solutions either or living room and since i have 4 kids anything can happened when i am not at home. the best place for system was in the garage.
1st noise wouldnt be a factor
2nd. if water does tend leak and etc. cleaning will be a breeze (knock on wood but i did check eveything for 2 weeks making sure no problem was found) my main sump has overflow waste drain to house sewer system just in case
3rd. more room to work with and tons of options can be done
4th. frag tank and QT
5th. i can keep on going
so 600gal was the way to go since i have seen 4' wide setup and love how the caves and rock formation can be done.

cbui2

Well I'll soon be upgrading to a 65 gallon reef (I currently have a 12 gal aquapod that's a reef). I realized I need more room to add my corals, so I think a 65 will make me happy!
One of the stores I like to shop at, and really the only store I shop at is the one in kenner off of Williams. I find all of their corals and fish to be very healthy and there is always many choices to choose from. That's were I'm going to order the tank from!
george@coral connections near the airport is really helpful. all my deltec equipments was purchased from him and his 800gal setup was what sold me too along with others on --. there are others stores but no one come close to his inventory and knowledable staff. hope this helps

cbui2

Originally Posted by larryndana
the finished tank is going to be amazing, keep us updated. what are your favorite lfs, down in the big easy.
thanks, george@coral connections has tons of goodies, fish, sps, lps, live sand, tons of live rocks, and plenty of inventory. he is the only way to go and no others come close. the main reason why i like big store w/alot of inventory b/c no other stops need to be taken. its like going to candy store and picking out everything you need,

crt81

Originally Posted by larryndana
crt81, i've heard about that place in kenner....one of these days i'm going to see what they are about.

If you are to go into Aquatics- ask for Glenn!
He is very knowledgeable and won't just sell you something your tank cannot handle or that you cannot handle for that matter!
Tell him Amanda sent you if you go in.
If you need to refresh his memory just say I'm the one with the 12 gallon aquapod!

grownazzman

I MUST COMEND YOU ON NOT RESPONDING TO THAT SHROOM. THE TRUTH IS EVERYBODY IN THIS HOBBY HAS, OR EITHER DREAMED ABOUT GOING BIGGER IT’S IN OUR NATURE. YOU HAVE A FIRST CLASS SETUP GOING ON SO KEEP DOING WHAT YOU’RE DOING BECAUSE WE ALL WANT TO SEE THE FINISH PROJECT
, EVEN THAT SHROOM
. LOL

1journeyman

Thank you for sharing this amazing project.
Please use the report feature (icon at the top right of post) is someone makes a rude/uncalled for remark. I see Bang already responded to one such post, and I went ahead and deleted it.
No one could design such a project without carefully reseraching what they are doing. That is clear.
Again, welcome and thanks.

reefer545

WOW! again WOW! Too this point I have seen nothing but sheer ingenius inspiration. I HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU> I have one question. Knowing you live in the south and it is pretty MOIST shall we say, WHY Have you decided to not go with WOLMINIZED BOARDS? I think in a few years you may find it a problem. It is only those boards touching the floor I think may cause problems. Moisture can do a real number on things, as I am sure you know. GET TREATED WOOD to touch the ground,a dn the rest you should be able to only have to reinforce in a few years time. I don't know if I am RIGHT. I am just curious, with this setup being largely in your garage. Here in ILLINOIS, I could never get away with it for more than a year. JUST CURIOUS> NO OFFENSE> I AM STILL SUPER JEALOUS< AND ONLY HOPE FOR A SETUP LIKE YOURS>
R545

mushroomss

I dont understand how you could go from a 12 gallon to a ridicoulusly bigger tank and think it isent different.im sorry there is alot more to keeping coral then having a deep pocket book.you could have the nicest setup in the world and still kill peices of coral,i have seen it many times.Anyways i will say no more since no one can handle real criticism.