Fish Hooks and Stitches.....

t316

You know, getting stitches before the "local" kicks in really does feel like a fish hook going in, then out....then in, out...then in, out, over and over and over........:0(

lovethesea

I think I'm confused. I know what youre talking about the anesthetic kicking in before the stitching begins, but

t316

Hiking yesterday. Went to move a small tree (arm size) out of the way, and something snapped.......popped me in the face. Blood everywhere. Split lower lip wide open....inside and out.
Went to an Urgent Care place (wanted to avoid a hospital Emergency Room). Outstanding service, wait time, etc.......but Doc hit me with 5-6 pokes of local anesthetics in the lip, waited about 5 min's, then started sewing.......WTH !!!!!!!
I could feel every single "in" and every single "out". Now I know what a fishing worm feels like when you are putting him on a hook.

lovethesea

WTH
my hand would have been on his arm saying........whowoooooah, big guy!!! Because once you question they will take a needle and start probing certain areas to see if you "feel" anything.
ouchie......sorry for your pain, that had to be horrible

t316

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3274805
Suck it up.
I did...
Wife asked me later why I didn't say anything. I told her it would have just wasted even more time while the lady gave me more needles in my lip and waited to see if that took effect.

scotts

In the "make lemonades our of lemons" department. At least you are not chewing now, that would be awful with a split lip.
Getting the stitches does not sound good, but the hike back with a split lip does not sound like a picnic either.

mrdc

Yikes ... I have had stitches 17 times (I know I am accident prone) and the worse pain was when they injected novacain into the tip of my pinkie finger!!! I would said the two times I had to get them on top of my head was the easiest. Didn't feel a thing.

meowzer

OUCHIE....There is NO WAY...I would have let them touch me if I was feeling it....YUP....I'm a baby, LOL
ANYWAYS...You are paying for the anesthetic...it had better work

cranberry

When I got stitches in some fingers, they didn't have a ring cutter so they couldn't numb my finger.... they were going to try this topical stuff that only works a little and takes 30 minutes... I was like "Heck No!" Stitch me up and get me outta here.".

t316

Thanks all....Still swollen up like a golf ball, but tolerable.
Scott, funny.....that is exactly what my wife said on the way to get sewed up...."good thing you quit dipping". I was not amused at the moment, but yeah, that's pretty funny.

lovethesea

ever been fish hooked to the carpet? funniest thing in all my years with my hubby!! Family can still cry tears of hysterical laughing.
think....berber carpet, double hook stuck in said carpet, hubby reaches down to grab it and instead the hook grabs him....both thumb and index finger. still wish I took a picture of the hook in the carpet and him stuck to the hook

lovethesea

sooo funny. Well I contained myself while I was trying to help him. I kept thinking I could get his fingers off the hook. Every time I tried he was all but writhing on the floor, holding his breath and sweating like a pig. He had to leave to go fishing with his brother in a few hours. The only thing I could think of was to take the nail clippers and clip him free and send him to the ER, right hand with thumb,hook, index finger all together as one. Needless to say, a lot of people came to see him.

cranberry

Is the scab driving you nuts yet? How often are ya licking those stitches .....
If I could think of a funny joke I'd tell it right now so you'd smile really big.... just cause I would want to make ya feel better, of course.

t316

Originally Posted by lovethesea
http:///forum/post/3275150
sooo funny. Well I contained myself while I was trying to help him. I kept thinking I could get his fingers off the hook. Every time I tried he was all but writhing on the floor, holding his breath and sweating like a pig. He had to leave to go fishing with his brother in a few hours. The only thing I could think of was to take the nail clippers and clip him free and send him to the ER, right hand with thumb,hook, index finger all together as one. Needless to say, a lot of people came to see him.
............:)
If I could post smiley's, that would definately get one.....:)