Fish neglect

florida joe

As I sit looking at my tank before I feed my fish, which are very active as their internal clock tells them its almost feeding time. I relies I have neglected them. Not in their maintenance but in appreciating them. I have been so caught up in my beautiful corals that I forgot how wonderful and beautiful my fish are. Watching them glide effortlessly through the water grassing on my LR, interacting with each other establishing a pecking order their colors flashing. I sit in wonder thankfull that I am privileged to keep such beautiful creatures so new and old hobbyist take time to appreciate your fish

S

shrimpy brains

Thanks, Joe, for the reminder. I too find there are times when, I am too busy, work, feed the dogs, birds, fish, corals, top off the water. split the various cultures, eat, shower, and get on here. Don't even take a minute to enjoy the beauty of having all these critters in my living room. It's good to sit back with a cup of coffee(glass of vino) and just enjoy the tank!!
Where's the *just chillin'* smiley??

meowzer

I have been going thru a really really tough family issue....and I think my fish are what has kept me sane....I come home from work, do my daily maintenance on all tanks, and sit and stare at their beauty....If not for them (and of course my cat) I think I amy have lost my mind....(I might still though..LOL)

I totally understand, I haven't added any fish in prolly 8 months but I buy new frags almost every week. But sometimes when I feed and I see them all I'm like wow thats a amazing fish. But the corals have def. consumed my time and focus.

happyfeet

I don't have corals yet, I hope I don't ignore my fish when I start adding!!
You mentioned their biological clocks telling them it’s almost feeding time. I'm just curious to do you always feed at the same time of day?
I’ve avoided doing this, I always feed around the same time of day, but it swings between a few hours, 4Pm-7Pm and anywhere in between. I do this because with my dog and with my horse I was always feeding at a certain time because I could and I thought it would be a good idea to be on a schedule. However, for a little while my work schedule changed and I wasn’t always home at the same time. I noticed this really stressed out my dog and REALLY stressed out my horse. (I could hear my horse neighing from the road driving into the bar) Once I broke my animals of their schedule and swinged when I fed them the stress levels went down and begging and being food pushy problems stopped.
I don’t know exactly how much that really applies to fish or if it even matters, was just curious if anyone else takes this approach?

egill

I just started add corals recently and have a sense of accomplishment as they are still looking great and growing. But it's the fish that got me started in saltwater. I still have the first 2 maroon clowns that made it thru 5 day power outage. The lived in a 18g rubbermaid with a powerhead and heater at my brothers on a generator. They just make my day looking at them.
Now recently I bought a complete set up off craigslist fully stocked with fish. It came with a Naso that has a wonderful personality. He comes to the top of the tank every feeding and seems to want to be petted. I don't chase him around, just but my finger at the water level and he rubs up against it. Makes me laugh ever time. I love this hobby!!!!!

happyfeet

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3158765
I actually feed an average of 3x a day. The same time plus or minus ½ hr
I'm trying to work out my feeding schedule, I'm out of the house at 6AM and I don't have the lights to turn on until 8Am and off at 7PM of that time I'm only actually home 2 hours. I'll probably have to change when the lights come off and on.

cranberry

Originally Posted by Happyfeet
http:///forum/post/3158779
I'm trying to work out my feeding schedule, I'm out of the house at 6AM and I don't have the lights to turn on until 8Am and off at 7PM of that time I'm only actually home 2 hours. I'll probably have to change when the lights come off and on.
Definitely change your times to when you are home. The tank inhabitants won't care.

lorene

http:///forum/post/3158765
I actually feed an average of 3x a day. The same time plus or minus ½ hr
ok NOW I am confused! Isnt this overfeeding? I was told to only feed every couple days. Someone please advise!

tjnitro

I feed one or two times a day. I have never fed more than twice a day and usually I only feed once a day. My fish are very healthy. I feed frozen food but once in a while when i am in a rush i will throw in some flakes to get them by until i have time to prepare the frozen foods. I like to mix my frozen foods.

meowzer

I feed once a day...frozen foods soaked in vitamins.
I do have some flakes and pellets that I bought before I knew better (LOL) And maybe 1x or 2x a week I give the fish an evening treat....the pellets and flakes are Formula 2, and Thera +A....supposed to be healthy...

truperc

Originally Posted by Lorene
http:///forum/post/3158793
ok NOW I am confused! Isnt this overfeeding? I was told to only feed every couple days. Someone please advise!
Every couple of days is a little sparse.
I feed once a day, but technically 2-3 times a day would be better in small portions.
You want to make sure your filtration is good if you are feeding more frequently.

louti

http:///forum/post/3158761
I noticed this really stressed out my dog and REALLY stressed out my horse. (I could hear my horse neighing from the road driving into the bar)
Well shame on you for going to the bar when you ought to be feeding your horse! J/K. I assume you mean barn, but that just came out funny.

flower

http:///forum/post/3158761
I don't have corals yet, I hope I don't ignore my fish when I start adding!!
You mentioned their biological clocks telling them it’s almost feeding time. I'm just curious to do you always feed at the same time of day?
I’ve avoided doing this, I always feed around the same time of day, but it swings between a few hours, 4Pm-7Pm and anywhere in between. I do this because with my dog and with my horse I was always feeding at a certain time because I could and I thought it would be a good idea to be on a schedule. However, for a little while my work schedule changed and I wasn’t always home at the same time. I noticed this really stressed out my dog and REALLY stressed out my horse. (I could hear my horse neighing from the road driving into the bar) Once I broke my animals of their schedule and swinged when I fed them the stress levels went down and begging and being food pushy problems stopped.
I don’t know exactly how much that really applies to fish or if it even matters, was just curious if anyone else takes this approach?

I don't know if the fish have a clock but I do, I do things the same time everyday..the same way. My dog knows when I am due home from work, the fish know when it is time to eat, and when it is time to hide because of water changes (TOP COMES OFF... hide!) and the bird knows it is bed time..LOL

scopus tang

http:///forum/post/3158495
As I sit looking at my tank before I feed my fish, which are very active as their internal clock tells them its almost feeding time. I relies I have neglected them. Not in their maintenance but in appreciating them. I have been so caught up in my beautiful corals that I forgot how wonderful and beautiful my fish are. Watching them glide effortlessly through the water grassing on my LR, interacting with each other establishing a pecking order their colors flashing. I sit in wonder thankfull that I am privileged to keep such beautiful creatures so new and old hobbyist take time to appreciate your fish
***Sigh*** must be nice to have that kind of time Joe; I am so looking forward to retirement.